Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Pro peloton on discs from August
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, for two events of their choice, at least.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-announces-summer-disc-brake-testing-in-professional-peloton

Luddites, sharpen your pitchforks! Unless pitchforks are a bit too modern for you!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

20 pages, last 17 being a crit style course repeat with a sprint bonus every 3rd page just to keep it going 😉

Del

discs?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Applause for Mike! *

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I just want to get in on the first page to say how outraged I am about all the deaths and anal leakage that this will cause.

njee20
    Free Member

BRAKE BORES, START YOUR ENGINES…

People will now die from rotor based lacerations, mark my words.

On the plus side, SNCF will be pleased that level crossing laws will be observed now they all have teh awsums powa.

stevious

Tyres getting wider, disc brakes, suspension.

In a decade the tour de France winner will be on a full suss surly krampus.

faustus

I await my personal favourite:

“but I can lock my wheel perfectly well with my rim brake”. Gets me every time.

About bloody time they trialled discs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

“but I can lock my wheel perfectly well with my rim brake” Gets me every time.

It’s how I judge car brakes, If I can’t make skiddy skiddy I don’t want them

njee20
    Free Member

Pointless. I can lock my wheel perfectly well with my rim brake.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pointless. I can lock my wheel perfectly well with my foot jammed in the fork.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I can go over the bars so who needs them. All bikes are the same in this way.

faustus

ha! I should have offered a prize 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

“if you’re having to use the brakes you’re not trying to go fast enough”

faustus

I also like:

“but my rim is like a giant disc”

I have a luddite brother so I get this all the time. He still has 126mm rear hubs and hair shirts though…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Think of teh

mikewsmith
    Free Member

whats his login here?

dragon
    Free Member

“This decision will further develop innovation and create new possibilities for the bicycle industry as well as additional performance for the riders.”

Read that as “This decision allows us to introduce another 100 or so ‘standards’ to leave the consumer bewildered and holding out of date kit within months. Ha suckers, now where did I park my Porsche. Oh did I say that last bit out loud?” 😳

hatter

In a similar vein to previous responses…

[video]https://youtu.be/Qh2sWSVRrmo[/video]

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Porsche?! Poor souls, no wonder they’re always introducing new shit if they are too poor to drive a proper car.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Or not dragon, perhaps there are things that can be better and doing exactly what we have done forever because that is what we have done before is not always the best argument.

faustus

Mike – he’d be too busy on retrobike to have a login here!

soobalias
    Free Member

i guess the qr’s will have to go too then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of course, there’s never been a bike with discs and QRs has there?

Oh, erm….

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a disc road bike with QRs as well as my “old fashioned” 26″ MTBs with QR.

I don’t have an issue with rim brakes but the disc brakes on the road bike are quite nice too. Easier on the hands and better in the wet. Not much else to it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’ll all end in tears, mark my words..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

8/10.

mr_stru

I’m hoping the neutral service needs might mean we get some sort of progress towards a concensus on the hub/axle thing. I expect I’ll be disappointed though.

jonba
    Free Member

jonba
    Free Member

I’m most interested in when this will filter down to BC races and more bikes in general.

I’m looking to replace my road bike after this season but may hang on to it for one more if it looks like I’ll be able to race on discs in 2017.

Wheel changes for me aren’t an issue, If I puncture I’m out as I rarely race anything that has neutral service. And I’m guessing weight wise we’ll still be around 7kg for the complete bike as manufacturers don’t seem to struggle to get down that low these days. Canyon do a <7kg bike for £2k

STATO
    Free Member

I’m hoping the neutral service needs might mean we get some sort of progress towards a concensus on the hub/axle thing. I expect I’ll be disappointed though.

Given specialized have developed an offset rear for their premium disc road bike, I think its safe to say the days of neutral service are numbered. My guess is that teams (or bike manufacturers?) will be providing motorbike support in addition to team cars in the future?

nemesis
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fancy being reliant on the Shimano neutral support then 😆

tomhoward

My guess is that teams (or bike manufacturers?) will be providing motorbike support in addition to team cars in the future?

I reckon that bikes made for race teams will all have the same standard, but the ones they sell to punters will have the proprietary standards of the manufacturers

nemesis
    Free Member

Problem with that is that increasingly pros are genuinely using the same frames as those sold to punters since carbon moulds are so expensive to make for bespoke frames.

And that’ll be especially true once you go down to pro continental races and below which will still have neutral service.

I reckon they’ll agree on rotor sizes (say 160/140), QRs and specific spacing for the disk rotor for racing which is what neutral service will work to and then allows pretty much all the differing systems and standards to work with the same number of neutral wheels as present.

Speeder

specialized have developed an offset rear for their premium disc road bike

🙄

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

specialized have developed an offset rear for their premium disc road bike,

That is true , they say it’s to help get a good chain line while still using the shortest possible chainstays but they have offered it as a standard which can be used by any manufacturer, which presumably is how things become standardised .

STATO
    Free Member

Speeder – Member

specialized have developed an offset rear for their premium disc road bike

🙄

POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST[/quote]

“On a race bike with short chainstays, simply widening the hub would cause shifting issues to the point that Shimano and SRAM recommend chainstays of at least 420mm.

Specialized’s solution was to move the cassette inboard on the 135mm Roval hub, putting it where a cassette would normally sit in a frame on a 130mm hub. This provides the stiffness from most of the extra width and spoke triangulation of a 135mm hub and keeps the chainline within Shimano’s parameters while maintaining the short, 405mm chainstays that help give the Tarmac its immense rear-end stiffness and quick handling. “

bikeradar article

Typical big bike manufacturer, private ‘standards’.

oldgit
    Free Member

Its great and we’ll have the choice. When I think about all the wet races I’ve done, its never been the issue of stopping just the worry of going sideways on a corner. So to me it will simply be the aesthetics.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Pro peloton on discs from August’ is closed to new replies.