Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • car spraying advice dilemma ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Please help !

My aged campervan needs a spruce on the bottom half so I thought Id have a go at doing it myself purely cosmetic paint over.

I don’t have garage space so planned on borrowing a friends triple garage that he wants £180 for 6 weeks which is fair then my cost of paint and materials which is about £100 and then my time which is going to be lots of evenings and a few hours at weekends painting etc which will take time away from family life etc .

I had a few quotes which seem to be about £500 to £700 which is doubleish but it will be a proper job I wont spend hours of grafting which could turn out to look sh 1t !

thoughts ? its not 3rd world I know !

hora
    Free Member

280+your time= potential orange peel, runs etc? Versus £220 more?

The question is have you done this before!

You’ll always look at that area approaching the car and notice bits..

tron
    Free Member

It’s the wrong time of year to be painting in an unheated garage, so you’ll need to wait.

I’ve got all the clobber to paint – compressors, guns etc. but I still get someone to do it unless it’s a very simple job! Using a spray gun, you could easily spend £1-200 on consumables – paint, sandpaper, filler, primer, grinding discs, disposable overalls, proper activated charcoal masks etc.). Using rattle cans isn’t even something you should think about.

If you have a decent line to hide the join (ie, body crease, pinstripe, rubbing strips, two tone paint job etc.) then DIY is much easier. You will only be able to paint cellulose in a DIY environment and spray vapour very quickly fills up the space available – only about 30% of the paint actually lands on the car.

You need to make sure the area you’re painting in is sparkling clean (most likely making some sort of tent inside the garage), and that your preparation is good – very thorough rub down to bare metal on any rusty areas, lots of feathering in through layers of paint, good filler and good priming. And you need heat or time to get your primer dry so you know it won’t sink once the top coat’s on.

Speshpaul

If they are going to paint it in a heated booth for 700 and you are planning on doing it sooner rather than later, then I’d pay the money.
    you will be fighting the weather even in doors.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

was going to use rustoleum paint which is rolled on

dont take the p 1 ss

jota180
    Free Member

Maybe look at vinyl wrapping?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Maybe look at vinyl wrapping?

mega bucks ! so not an option otherwise id do it !

trail_rat
    Free Member

What kind of camper , is this a preservative for a few years to tide you over or you see it as a view to a fix.

If the latter 700 quid isnt enough to be doing it right.

If the former just get it rustoleumed,

Youll have to try and do a really bad job to get orange peel out of rustoleum.

Oh and vinyl wrap over a poor surface will just result in a piss poor result.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

What kind of camper , is this a preservative for a few years to tide you over or you see it as a view to a fix.

VW 25 (3) 1985 no major rust, the German owner that owned it before me decided he’d paint the bottom half black !

bit of sanding reveals the paint

I HATE THE BLACK !

trail_rat
    Free Member

What colour you painting it …. Do not say yellow it will look bloody awful.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

as VW intended yes YELLOWWWWWWWWWWWW it will look great !

wanmankylung
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw[/video]

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mmmm two tone yelllow :/

revs1972
    Free Member

If you are going the DIY route then make sure you have some kind of sheeting on the ceiling. We sprayed my car using 2 pack paint in the mid 90’s in my mates double garage whilst his parents were away. Did a bloody lovely job , we thought it looked great as we shut the garage up for the night. Well 2k paint is pretty lethal stuff and come the morning, everything that WAS living in the roof space, now was not, it was now lying embedded in the paintwork .
    Spiders , moths , flys you name it , it was there.
    If I was Damien Hurst, I would of clear coated it and sold it for a small fortune

squirrelking
    Free Member

Your ‘mate’ wants to charge you RENT on some garage space? I’m hoping this is a commercial unit.

Rollering can be done outside on a calm day if need be. Obviously garages are better but you’ll need to wait till the spring for warmer weather. There was a topic or link not long ago about rollering, will see if I can find it.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Rollering can be done outside on a calm day if need be

true but will need 3 coats and no calm days ahead…it always rains !

trail_rat
    Free Member

I managed to squeeze in 3 coats of tractol on the tub/wings and bonnet of my land rover over a weekend in the drive a couple weeks back

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

with rustoleum stuff you are supposed to flat it back after each coat so it gets a shine !

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

or….

I could always sand off the paint ! but I think it would be impossible without damaging the yellow and it would take years !

zippykona

Pay someone else to do it.
    You’ll easily lose £220 in resale.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

You’ll easily lose £220 in resale.

not planning on selling

dazz
    Free Member

you’ll only need the garage for a week at most if your using rustoleum, all the prep work can be done outside then just use the garage for the actual painting, if you do the prep work inside you’ll spend days cleaning up the dust before painting. Go for it, if you take your time it’ll turn out great.

+1 on your “mate” charging £600 to rent his garage??? what’s that about?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

+1 on your “mate” charging £600 to rent his garage??? what’s that about?

you not reading it properly ! 😛

£180 for 6 weeks !

dazz
    Free Member

d’oh, still seems a bit off to me though

duncancallum

Me I would flat it back and do the prep get it all flat and nice and then get a body shop to stone chip the bottome 2 inches or so and then blend it in up the sides.

I would then waxoil the bugger to death.

for a couple of hundred quids difference its a no brainer. And I am a mega tight bastard

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

good advice cheers one and all…

Northwind

What basically counts most is whether you’re going to enjoy it. I resprayed my motorbike, it was total madness on every level apart from the fact that I (mostly) enjoyed doing it and took a real pride in being able to say “I did that”. But in the final analysis I don’t think it was even cheaper than a pro job, never mind everything else.

Also, I may have mentioned this before but it looks mint with the black.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Also, I may have mentioned this before but it looks mint with the black.

if it had been sprayed on and it was a good job id agree with you but its matt black hand painted…it looks pants !

spooky_b329

I didn’t think DIY vinyl wrap would cost too much, a few hundred quid for my 6 metre hi-top van.

RustyNissanPrairie

Rustoleum is brilliant- I painted my land rover in it and its pretty damn good. I also use it on my bike frames.

As above it needs flattening down between coats but you can get a very smooth finish.

The biggest problem with T25’s is the seams and getting the rust out and properly sealed before painting. A garage won’t do this properly.

hora
    Free Member

‘Not planning on reselling’

Because all ideas go to plan?..

squirrelking
    Free Member

A garage won’t do this properly.

Not for the desultory amounts being bandied about, no.

Look north of £1.5k if you want a proper job (and even then that’s probably pushing it).

Found those links:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Bodywork_and_Glass_Roller_painting
    http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=18751

£50 all in.

RustyNissanPrairie

There’s an American muscle car (think its a Camaro) that’s painted in orange Rustoleum and its looks as good as sprayed.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oven every time…

trail_rat
    Free Member

rustoleum can look good how ever i disagree that in this context that a car half stock and half rustoleum will look good.

its always going to be two tone and that would annoy me.

jota180
    Free Member

TBH – and without intending to offend ……… 😉

It’s and old banger, anything more than a couple of hundred quid would be wasted money IMO
    So I’d go for the DIY option.

trail_rat
    Free Member

from what i can see its far from a banger….

old it is – but id have it over a new passat any day (as im not reliant on cars as my daily transport so i can have something with character/style;))

although that said id have a reliant robin before i had another of the VW family of motors.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

It’s and old banger,

you have a lot to learn dear boy…

Northwind

It’s not a banger, but, the decision of what to do with paint’s made easier when the paint’s already shagged. If you were replacing good quality paint you’d want to do an equally good job.

I really like that roller approach, though you’re going to end up with one arm twice the size as the other after all the cutting back.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘car spraying advice dilemma ?’ is closed to new replies.