Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pro 2
  • fozzyuk

So Hope Pro 2 wheels

Have 2 bikes requiring 2 cassettes plus could do with a spare, what is allowed and what isn’t allowed for a pro 2 hub to avoid scratching / scoring.

Both SRAM and Shimano is we can 😉

Thanks

boxelder

XT or 990 and up in either range.
    Needs to be an alloy body/carrier on the cassette.

fozzyuk

The expensive stuff then….excellent…

how hard is freehub replacement on a pro 2 please?

coatesy
    Free Member

Just a case of sliding it off the axle “IF” you can get the end cap off first, sometimes they pop off easily, sometimes they’ll fight you all the way. Regular servicing of the ratchet mechanism usually helps as it’ll all be relatively clean and greased.Freehubs are also available in steel if you don’t mind the little extra weight penalty.

fozzyuk

Despite regular use of a chain measurer I still haven’t managed to avoid changing my chain and cassette. Earlier this week I switched the chain on my full suss, it had just o=got to 0.75 but was not yet at 1 on the measurer…Result skipping chain.

so old one back on and I’ll wear it to death again, hopefully will see me through winter.

I’m kind of ok with that, generally I can change cassette and chains twice or three times before having to change chain rings.

It becomes a little more expensive though when i can’t use the 22 quid 970 at 22 quid but have to use a 50 quid xt or 990…

coatesy
    Free Member

You can use them, but it’ll mark the freehub. It’ll take a long long time for it to do much more than cosmetic damage/make it hard to remove the cassette, though it will eventually chew it away, then it’s time to replace it with a steel one using the money you saved on the cheaper cassettes. It’s worth noting that the smaller rings aren’t on a carrier anyway, so will still mark it to an extent.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

how hard is freehub replacement on a pro 2 please?

Pretty easy if you follow the video on the Hope website but you will need to buy the toolset to get all the bearings and seals out and in without chancing wrecking them. IIRC the set is about £25 but a good investment if you’ve got 2 bikes with Hope hubs

alfabus
    Free Member

you can use SLX cassettes, they have an alloy carrier – it doesn’t carry the smaller sprockets, but they exert less torque anyway, so do less damage.

Dave

fozzyuk

I’ve seen people say you can use SLX and others say you can’t.

IA

This always puzzles me – folk buy nice light alloy freehub wheels at considerable expense, then won’t spend an extra £15 or so to save a big chunk of weight on the cassette. You’d be better off with cheaper heavier wheels and lighter cassettes…but it’d look less bling…guess that’s my answer 😉

fozzyuk

Or people like the fact that Hope Pro 2 are reliable and don’t need adjusting and can be rebuilt easily with spares when required.

Perhaps when people cycle 6 days a week and frequently do 400 to 500 miles a month those regular £15’s start to add up…. 😉 Especially when both bikes become due a new drive train at the same time….

Oh yeah, and they look bling too

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pro 2’ is closed to new replies.