Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 167 total)
  • Privateer magazine – anyone got theirs?
  • Nezbo
    Free Member

just got mine today 🙂

lots of retro stuff 🙂

IdleJon

Got mine this morning so I’ve only flicked through it.

Nice layout, didn’t notice any smell. Some interesting photos, but generally the photography isn’t great (or any better than any of the other mags really) so a little disappointed in that.

Most of the articles look interesting but hardly all that original and are written by the usual suspects so will they be worded any better than in any other mag?

I’m being very critical of a FREE magazine, especially one that I haven’t read yet and one that’s only a 1st issue. But having said that, I don’t think I’d pay £9 if I flicked through it in a shop.

bol

I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read so far, although it will be interesting to see where they take it from here having covered a lot of the obvious bases in issue one.

The thing that has made me smile is the advertising. Their Market research has obviously told them that their readers will be a deep-pocketed bunch of aging niche-mongers. Anyone on here filled out a questionnaire lately?

ourmaninthenorth

Mine arrived too. Seemed to be more writing than is found in Rouleur, but I’m fearful the content is closer to magazine level, rather than the closer to book quality of Rouleur.

But I shall read it first, and reserve judgement.

billysan
    Free Member

Mine arived yesterday too, well ahead of the 8th Oct predicted date. Had a quick flick through last night and there looks to be some interesting things to read. I still reservations on if it will be worth £9 an issue.

I think Im going to give it the benefit of the doubt for the first 3 issues Im subscribed to then re-evaluate.

nonk
    Free Member

can i ask the photographers amongst you, is seb rogers any good?
    its just that i feel you can spot his stuff a mile off and it always seems abit uninspirational.
    sorry seb.

mind you i know nowt about it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Got mine yesterday too.

Pros – Hardly any adverts wooooooo

Cons – £9???? Hmmmmm not sure.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Got mine yesterday. Have read a few bits which were OKish but from what I have seen so far I don’t think it’s any where near as good as Rouleur. However, I will reserve final judgement until I see the next one. One thing I did find odd is that there is an article on mechanics; didn’t Rouleur do that in one of their recent issues? Perhaps Privateer don’t think the readership might read both?

Mark

Pros – Hardly any adverts wooooooo

Cons – £9????

An there in lies the balancing act of magazine publishing 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

An there in lies the balancing act of magazine publishing

and the nuisance of proofreading 🙂

Drac

its just that i feel you can spot his stuff a mile off and it always seems abit uninspirational.

You can spot many photographer by their style pretty often. The rest is down to personal opinion, there’s others I prefer but Seb’s photos posted on here many moon ago and the odd tip he gave encouraged me to persevere.

tomlevell

If anyone would like Issue one I will sell mine for £200 plus postage costs. If you like I’ll throw in Issue 1 of Rouleur too for an extra £200 and waive the postage costs.

;0)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Received mine yesterday and only had chance to skim it.
    First impressions:
    Look and feel – Different, distinctive, a coffee-table book ??
    Content – not sure, reserving judgement. Thinks its a bit too arty perhaps.

Will I keep up the subscription? Waivering – Probably not.

the_lecht_rocks

£9 for a magazine. Fukkn mental.

tang
    Free Member

not bad, but prefer ‘the ride’ for the money as it covers a wider field. all the retro stuff is nostalgic fun for us oldies(nice bikes of yesteryear lust, pics of the bombhole characters from the industry). rouleur ive enjoyed esp tour special etc, but road has a deeper/longer history to draw on. will be interesting to see how they keep the target readership interested.

Drac

I will sell mine for £199. 😛

warton
    Free Member

I’ve pre ordered mine, dispatched 1st October 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

all that matters is your response to his work. If you have to ask someone else the conclusion is negative…

simondbarnes

sorry seb.

You can’t really qualify photography/art as good or bad IMO. It’s very personal. Personally I love Seb’s work.

nonk
    Free Member

righto so i am just not a fan of his style then.

dont think he will lose sleep. 😆

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I don’t know who took what but there are only 4 biking shots in the whole magazine I liked

ourmaninthenorth

Anyone considered that, in trying to create a Rouleur for MTBing, the fact that MTBing is still such a young activity compared with road riding means the volume of decent content to draw from is significantly more limited?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the fact that MTBing is still such a young activity compared with road riding means the volume of decent content to draw from is significantly more limited?

quite the reverse, what can one say about road riding other than “duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulll” ?

Drac

I don’t know who took what but there are only 4 biking shots in the whole magazine I liked

I’m sure they’ll review their selection next time based or you quality of photos.

There’ll be more people splashing through water and lots of shot from behind.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

unfortunately, it turns out MTB has far more history than I can stomach and the mag should have been entitled “The way we were”. If anyone mentions Gary Fisher again I will scream 🙁 The man has a moustache FFS … aaaargh!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m sure they’ll review their selection next time based or you quality of photos

I expect to be ignored, but some of the shots were hopelessly blurred, really not good enough 🙁

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, true, and there isn’t as much of a mythology or culture to draw on (JMC, Tomac, the California pioneers etc excepted).
    I’d like to see a copy as I can’t see how it’s going to fill 100 pages (or whatever it is) – if it’s just a retro back-in-the-day snoozefest then I can’t see that reaching out beyond an in-crowd.

ourmaninthenorth

quite the reverse, what can one say about road riding other than “duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulll” ?

Plenty, as evidenced by the number of books on the subject. Please direct me to some good writing on MTBing that isn’t the sort of sixth form introspection beloved of ST.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Plenty, as evidenced by the number of books on the subject.

I don’t think it’s measured in inches :o) In fact one might posit an inverse relationship between number of books about a topic and its inherent interest 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Unless this is the exception then that relationship would suggest reams and reams available on SfB.

Good to see that your narrowmindedness never changes 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Please direct me to some good writing on MTBing

there’s the nub, I’m beginning to think it’s just something to do, not write about…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Good to see that your narrowmindedness never changes

I see it rather as simple preference, as in I’d rather saw my leg off than have to ride on the road

Drac

I see it rather as simple preference, as in I’d rather saw my leg off than have to ride on the road

I had that attitude then I gave it a go, I enjoy it now and had a lot of apologising to do and listening to “we told you so”. MTB is much more fun though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Unless this is the exception then that relationship would suggest reams and reams available on SfB.

however, you are straying from the original topic. My attitude to road riding bears not on the content of Privateer

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I had that attitude then I gave it a go, I enjoy it now and had a lot of apologising to do and listening to “we told you so”

I shall be spared that embarrassment as I’m too scaredy to ride where there are cars and lorries 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Bloody hell – being told off for straying OT by sfb 😯

Drac

I shall be spared that embarrassment as I’m too scaredy to ride where there are cars and lorries

Yeah that’s what put me off too but it was a bit daft given where I live and how well I know the unclassified roads. So that got ride of that excuse, actually Mrs if off today so might have to do a spin before work tonight.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

being told off for straying OT by sfb

yeah! I have a lot of critical things to say about Privateer, which I shall write later, in a spirit of constructive criticism

7hz
    Free Member

Got mine yesterday. Was looking forward to it, was expecting something like NatGeo for Mountain Bikes, but it seems a bit vacant and contentless to me, the writing has left me cold so far, and certainly the photography is not really up to par. The cover is nice, but if the best photo they can pick out for a two page spread is some old fart in a stupid suit in front of a windmill, count me out!

Rule 1 – If you are banking on style over substance, make sure you have style.

I’m not sure the super-smooth eggshell nicely typeset stuff fits well with MTBs either.

wwaswas

I want to know if the bloke upside down 6ft off the ground at the Malvern Hills Classic is a) ok and b) missed the spectators?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Privateer magazine – anyone got theirs?’ is closed to new replies.