Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Primaloft jacket versus Polartec Fleece – which is warmest?
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

Wonder if anyone in the know could advise me on which they think would be warmer. A Polartec Thermal Pro fleece or a light primaloft jacket such as this Rab one:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/product-reviews/rab-generator-smock-tested/4214.html

I’m getting kit together for Everest basecamp trekking.

It’ll be worn over a base layer and zipped micro fleece with a goretex pro shell jacket on top when needed. (I will have a down jacket for the real cold days and evenings).

Ta in advance.

wwaswas

[Harry Hill voice]

There’s only one way to find out…

[/Harry Hill voice]

druidh
    Free Member

Thermal Pro is warm on its own but has little or no wind resistance. As long as you are layering it, then they’d be about the same. The Primaloft jackets (I have a Montane) are a lot more flexible, in that they can be used as a bit of a windproof layer too, but don’t feel so comfortable against bare skin when they are damp/wet/sweaty.

In general, I don’t like smocks as they are less flexible for adjusting warmth.

dan1980
    Free Member

An advantage of the generator smock over a thermal pro fleece is that it’ll be wind proof and shower proof, so could give you more layering options.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Thanks, yeah I was thinking a primaloft jacket would pack down far smaller and would be a good 200g lighter too but really what is important to me is warmth.

druidh
    Free Member

My wife is doing the Everest Basecamp trek next year and we’ve been kitting her out. We opted for the ladies equivalent of the Montane Jaguar which is made with Polartec Windpro. It’s properly fleecy inside and very, very warm as well as being windproof. Might be worth considering?

Edit: Found a review… http://www.adventuretravelmagazine.co.uk/index.php/gear/262-montane-jaguar-jacket

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Thanks druidh, that looks a great option I will look into.

speed12
    Free Member

I have the Montane Jaguar and it is a great and very warm jacket. It is not windproof by any stretch of the imagination, but it is significantly more wind resistant than ‘normal’ fleece. I used it in Northern Sweden back in February over the top of a light fleece and baselayer, in around -25degC conditions and it was plenty warm unless there was a reasonable wind when it lost a bit (but still good). If you are going to mostly wear it under a shell, then it’s a good bet as it’s comfortable and warm and wind resistant enough to cope with not having a shell if it isn’t too windy. A Primaloft (or similar) jacket would be slightly more versatile in that it would be totally windproof and could be used in anything but proper rain without a shell – but aren’t quite as comfortable as a fleece. The Primaloft would probably weigh less than the Jaguar (just).

If you are taking a down jacket for the really cold days, then I’d go for a fleece as it will breathe better under a shell. The Jaguar is a good shout, but it is VERY warm and maybe slightly too much if you wanted to use it in active use. Thermal Pro stuff would be the best bet if you wanted to use the fleece whilst active as it is very breathable, but be aware that the wind resistance of Thermal Pro is essentially zero. With a shell on top it is brilliantly warm. Without, then the slightest breeze will strip all that warmth away.

druidh
    Free Member

speed12 – thanks for that. I was probably over-egging it a bit when I described the Jaguar as “windproof” rather than “more wind resistant”. 😀

willyboy
    Free Member

I had a primaloft jacket (a lightweight OMM smock) and found it not that warm at all. My £6 fleece from Go Outdoors is better.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

IME Primaloft is much warmer, but can be too warm if you are moving quickly. Definatley packs down small though

tang
    Free Member

Layering is key. For my himalayan adventures – merino base, patagonia r2 (very light weight fleece but warm) patagonia hooded primaloft, alpine cut hardshell. All packs down to nothing and various combinations used. Getting higher and colder I’ve a waterproof mountain hardwear down jacket which is toasty.

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t forget on an E base camp trek it’ll be warmish in the day when she’s trekking and bloody cold at night when she’s sitting around.
    I’d take a pukka duvet for the nights as it gets fing cold. When moving, something light and very breathable is best. I always find Primaloft a bit fragile.

If it’s an organised trek, presumably she’ll get some of her kit portered so she has some flexibility with what she takes. It’s not like backpacking.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I find primaloft warmer but fleece feels more comfortable. I have the Rab generator and use it a lot but only as an item to throw on when I’ve stopped moving (e.g picnic breaks or climbing belays). Packs down small and is ideal for that until the temperature dips well below 0 (for that I have a down jacket).

If you’ve not got everything yet I really rate the Rab Vaporise range. Very breathable and also warm when needed. I use mine with just a merinio base layer down to -15 when I’m working hard but at the same time don’t seem to over heat much when the temperature is above zero either. This is living in Canada mind so the humidity is very low.

matt_outandabout

Fleece – warm under layers, fast to dry, IMO more light fleece’s = ace; but not windproof enough (even in ‘wind’ versions).
    Insulated – very warm, more useful on own, properly windproof, can be more breathable and quicker to dry.
    Mrs_oab has a Montane Solo (semi-softshell / fleece hybrid) and I an older Cloud Veil one and they are OK, but frustratingly not windproof enough. Our chaps at work live in Montane and Patagonia insulated jackets in the cold months, I have even started wearing mine under paddling gear. My new Patagonia Micro Puff I can see me living the winter in…Summary: not sure I will buy a ‘thick’ fleece again….

BadlyWiredDog

It depends on how much Primaloft there is in the jacket and what grade it is. If you’re taking a down jacket anyway, which I’d advise, I’d go fleece for the simple reason that it’s far more breathable for active use, which PrimaLoft isn’t. And take a light windshirt to layer over the top for windproofing.

plumber
    Free Member

I have this rab jacket and find it fantastic for just about everything from lounging about to biking to bivvying

packs down very small

my best buy in thae last few years

boblo
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member
    It depends on how much Primaloft there is in the jacket and what grade it is. If you’re taking a down jacket anyway, which I’d advise, I’d go fleece for the simple reason that it’s far more breathable for active use, which PrimaLoft isn’t. And take a light windshirt to layer over the top for windproofing.

That’s what to do, right there.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Primaloft jacket versus Polartec Fleece – which is warmest?’ is closed to new replies.