Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • pricey merino, is it worth it?
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

So following an accident with the temperature dial on the washing machine in in need of a new winter top.

Previously I’ve had the on one merino stuff which I’ve worn under a Gore windstopper in winter or on its own when it’s not so cold – its one of their element core tops that’s now been miniaturised – and whilst there hasn’t been anything wrong with it I’ve rather fancied a rapha one for a while.

So is there any reason beyond the name to spend the extra 100 on a rapha one (which is going to get filthy) or should I just get another on one and spend the savings on beer and shiny stuff or go slightly up market and get an endura one and beer and no shiny stuff?

johndoh
    Free Member

Lidl are doing some this week for £20 I believe.

iainc

Buy a non merino Craft or Helly and be warm, dry and have cash left over 😆

DezB
    Free Member

The Supernatural ones that SportPursuit are doing are really nice.

brooess
    Free Member

My Howies merino stuff has holes in it after 5+ years – which ain’t so bad I suppose, except all my Helly tops which are 12+ years old and half the price are still going strong (and not smelly)

dudeofdoom

I’ve done that to a howies and a Swobo….jersey ….

I loved the howies it had a hood and I just lived in it all winter..,

I vaguely remember they both bobbled a bit …..and tbh it’s nice stuff but does seem to have a short life.

(Thinking about it I may have preordered a Swobo with the discount code on here)

cinnamon_girl

Depends on how warm you run obviously but do you need to wear merino under a Windstopper product? Sounds overkill unless you’re riding in temperatures of minus 10 degrees.

Del

the on-one stuff is easily on a par with howies and icebreaker IMO.

aa
    Free Member

What brooess said.

never had merino (always had icebreaker) that didn’t go holey, poly lasts far longer Imo.

hora
    Free Member

The holes- I assumed that was moths?! I have three icebreaker tops, twovapproaching 10yrs old and holey. I’ve worn two of them under a gillet often on minus 7+ days often. They perform far better than synthetics for me. Worth their weight in gold.

Rapha is too fashion now.

ton

i dislike merino for riding in. got icebreaker, baa baa, rab and cheap on one.
    once you start to sweat it becomes cold and clammy.
    i do however carry one to put on post ride where it is nice and cosy.

weeksy

I got my planet merino socks yesterday, they’re LOVELY and warm I must admit. 3 pairs for £8 or so..

hora
    Free Member

Ton what thickness do you own? 2 of mine are very fine. My third one is too thick.

ton

150 weight.

my best base layers for riding are northface ones.
    a very light synthetic one that screws up to the size of a small apple, and a thicker summit series one, with a higher zipped neck.

iainc

I have a howies that refuses to die, plus a couple of icebreakers. I had a baabaa till last week when I ripped it. I like them when they stay dry but as Ton, find them clammy once soaked with sweat. I prefer synthetic Craft and Helly on the bike and keep the Merino for low intensity stuff

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I use a Rapha summer lightweight short sleeve jersey as a base layer in winter – it’s sport wool ( merino synthetic mix) and doesn’t get clammy like merino and dries much faster, doesn’t get holes either – best of both worlds!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Only one in favour of the rapha kit and not a single mention of px/on one being dire, fairly conclusive then, cheapo and beer it is.

As for what temp I ride in I don’t really pay too much attention, the wind stopper is full zip, the sleeves come off and the whole thing can always go in my bag if I’m too warm. I just find the merino comfortable and it works well for me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have Icebreaker, I see it as a treat to myself. For a cheap baselayer I use synthetic Helly Hansen or Musto micro fleece sailing base layer. I suppose I am not answering the OP’s question directly but for me if its Merino its premium brand and for cheap its non-merino.

binners

Howies merino lasts forever in my experience. But if you don’t want to spend too much then the On One merino stuff is really excellent for the money, and the stuff I’ve got is still going strong after a couple of years of commuting duties

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I bought a couple of the on-one 250g long sleeves about 3 years ago and they’ve been great.
    Have just bought a couple of current 200g ones too. They are nowhere near as dense/close knit as the old ones and I’ve ripped one on the first outing (snagged on a pedal pin whilst carrying). Not as good as they were IMHO.

digga
    Free Member

I can only comment on Icebreaker stuff. I’ve had various base layers zip-necks, mid-weight crew necks and some heavier zip necks and they have all been excellent and are still going strong.

As for them never stinking, it;s either a myth or I am very smelly. The base layers yo umight just eke two days of riding out of, but IMHO they will pong a little. They do, however, unfailingly, wash clean, which can’t be said for a lot of other fabrics.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Ah yes the “merino doesn’t smell ” myth, IME it doesn’t smell as bad but it does smell, certainly some of the synthetics I’ve had have been so rancid post ride I’ve debated leaving it in the car park
    park. Eventually I got round to taking large ziploc bags to deposit them in. As for washing the windstopper has never smelt clean again since its first ride, cleaner than it went into the machine definitely but not clean.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, I’ve never had anything smell that bad, even football kit left in the car for a few days.
    My merino never smells of anything.
    Must be you.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It’s funny how different people have different experiences. I can’t ride in Smelly Hansens, they smell great out of the wash, but as soon as I start to ride the smell comes back. I have no such issue with merino. They don’t smell in my experience. I don’t wear them for more than one ride without washing them though.

Following advice on here, I wait until sports pursuit have a sale on and just by a few at a time.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Merino is great. Expensive merino is doubly great because it lasts longer.

Onone are good, but don’t last anywhere near as long as Howies or Endura.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Decathalon stuff is great I got a zipped long sleeve jersey for £12 the other day, feels just like my Howies stuff.

hora
    Free Member

NEVER had merino smell on me. TBH I don’t get synthetics etc smelling really either. The sweet gene? 8)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I tend to find the smelliness of my gear post ride is directly related to the volume of beer and curry/kebab ingested in the preceding 24 hours

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Merino is fairly delicate – it doesn’t like Velcro or brambles – but as part of the right build up its great. My Howies have all lasted really well (their superfine are delicate but great unde windstopper). Fit changes radically from season to season.

Endura’s babaa stuff is good but balance of quality and value

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘pricey merino, is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.