Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 181 total)
  • Team Sky announce team. Wiggins is watching from the side lines.
  • aracer
    Free Member

The question was climbing ability. Wiggo proved that in a way none of the others mentioned have (not only in 2012, which wasn’t his first TdF podium – Ventoux in 2010?)

You can’t judge form in the mountains on TT ability ffs.

Because climbing involves totally different physiology to a TT, and form in one doesn’t tend to correlate with form in the other? 🙄

Lifer
    Free Member

Well, yeah. From the Giro this year:

TT

1 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:57:34
    2 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 0:01:17
    3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:34
    4 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:39
    5 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:01:53
    6 Wout Poels (Ned) Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:02:00
    7 Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:02:03
    8 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:02:07
    9 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:09
    10 Patrick Gretsch (Ger) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:12

Mountain TT

1 Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 1:05:37
    2 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:17
    3 Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:01:26
    4 Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:01:57
    5 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:24
    6 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:03:22
    7 Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:03:28
    8 Sebastian Henao Gomez (Col) Team Sky 0:03:48
    9 Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto Belisol 0:04:00
    10 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Team Sky 0:04:10

butcher

While I can understand that people are disappointed that Wiggo won’t be riding, I don’t understand why people are so anti-Froome.

I’m down with this. I like Froome. And after reading his book and his story of how he got to where he is, I like him even more. I’m glad that Wiggins won the TdF, and I’m glad Froome got his chance straight after. All in all, everything worked out pretty well, I’d say.

Team Sky though… They just highlight everything that is wrong with humanity.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Wiggo is on form at the moment. People saying he isn’t clearly haven’t been taking notice. In Switzerland he was ill and crashed.

Froome is poor tactically. I find him frustrating to watch. I think Valverde and Contador will have the measure of him this year.

I’m hoping Nibali will find some good form soon. With so many riders on form this year it should be a good one. Froome will be made to suffer for bad tactics.

FWIW I simply cant understand why Wiggins is considered a poor climber. He may not be able to put in explosive attacks but he can ride with what are considered to be the best climbers in the world and loose little to no time. You cannot win tours or be a GT contender without being able to climb.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Or Wiggins blamed his poor performance and lack of effort on being ill, after the event and after hawking himself around rival broadcaster BBC saying how great his numbers were. He’s done nothing since 2012 to justify his record salary. Going for the commonwealth games, seriously? Sky must be thrilled.

Or are you considering him beating espoirs in a second rate race in the US as a sign of world grand tour form?

I dont care whether froome wins or loses, I want to see exciting racing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe one of the posters above is actually John Bruyneel and we don’t know it.

Haha, didn’t Riis say that Sky should pick Wiggins for their team? I’m sure he’d love that, be great for Saxo Tinkoff.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

He’s done nothing since 2012 to justify his record salary. Going for the commonwealth games, seriously? Sky must be thrilled.

He won the Tour of California earlier this year. It might not hit the headlines here, but thats important for Sky as its high profile in the USA and they have US sponsors.

oldgit
    Free Member

feel sorry for Bradley, but the new boy has to come through. I don’t think it’s right for anyone to bash them at all.
    Wiggins seems to only be remembered for his 2012 win, some say Froome could have won that, I’m not so sure. It was a team effort and I personally think that Froomes ‘mini attacks’ were highly disrespectful to the man he was assisting. I’ve always thought that’s where the bad vibe started.
    And you have to remember that Bradley won the Paris – Nice, Tour of Romandie and the Dauphiné in the run up to his 2012 Tour win which is pretty classy I think. Not to mention his 2009 Tour third place, no one helped him there.
    Anyway very sad, and as you can tell I’m a Wiggins fan. Shame he isn’t going to be there even for a different team….such a waste.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Or are you considering him beating espoirs in a second rate race in the US as a sign of world grand tour form?

Tour of California may have been second rate in the past but not now. A good field this year and a good win by Wiggins. Plus his performance earlier in the season in the Paris-Roubaix.

I dont care whether froome wins or loses, I want to see exciting racing.

Agreed.

butcher

It was a team effort and I personally think that Froomes ‘mini attacks’ were highly disrespectful to the man he was assisting.

Interestingly, in his book, he says he only signed with Team Sky on the basis that he’d ride for GC. And he went into the 2012 Tour believing that’s what he was there to do (as a joint venture, with Bradley). It only became obvious to him that this wasn’t the case once it started.

oldgit
    Free Member

speckledbob, I like the way Wiggins was looking this year, he seemed a little heavier and more aggressive, pluckier.

edhornby

Although I get the personality and commitment questions, I still wonder why he’s really not preferred for form over Pate and Xandio ?? I know they are quality riders but…

I don’t think they have anything to worry about the cobbled stages though, Geraint and Bernie Eisel are quality riders who know how to ride in belgium and it’s a fallacy that you have to physically resemble Cancellara to ride pave, Peter van Petegem was about 5foot9 and weighed about 68kilos but that didn’t stop him being a classics monster

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Geraint and Bernie Eisel are quality riders who know how to ride in belgium

Well geraint certainly inspected the cobbles and roads of Northern France and Belgium really closely, in every race, several times, and I’m sure they left a lasting impression!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Wiggins was beaten by Geraint Thomas in P-R, and beat a pair of up and coming kids (Dennis 24, Craddock 22) to the top step of the Cali podium (a 2.HC cat race). It might have been sound business for Fox/Newscorp, with 21st Century Fox being a US based co sponsor, but I can’t believe it would have fit into Sky Procycling’s grand plan. Since winning the one grand tour built for him he has floundered for goals and performances that are the match for his GT winner status.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, so Quintana wasn’t on form for the flat TT, because if he had been he’d have won it?

Or maybe you just don’t understand the point.

So you don’t believe the statements from his team?

after hawking himself around rival broadcaster BBC

Now you’re suggesting that because he’s on a team sponsored by a broadcaster that he shouldn’t do interviews with our national broadcaster? 😯

It is quite clear you really don’t like him at all, but gosh you are stooping low.

Lifer
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Ah, so Quintana wasn’t on form for the flat TT, because if he had been he’d have won it?

Or maybe you just don’t understand the point.

Being good at flat TT’s doesn’t equate to being good at climbing.

Hence the difference in standings between flat and mountain TTs.

Hence the lack of TTers in the Mountain Classifications.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Contador for the win this year

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Elite sport is a complex beast…. There are reasons for every decision.

nickc

Interestingly, in his book, he says he only signed with Team Sky on the basis that he’d ride for GC. And he went into the 2012 Tour believing that’s what he was there to do (as a joint venture, with Bradley). It only became obvious to him that this wasn’t the case once it started.

Really? Even my mum knew that Brad was there to try for the win in 2012.

Having said that, Wiggins’ book is one of two cycling autobiographies that I failed to finish as they were so boring. The other being Kimmage’s

aracer
    Free Member

Oh really? 🙄

But do you not think that when Quintana is on form to win a mountain TT he might also do a PB on a flat TT? Or is he just as likely to do a PB in a flat TT when he’s not on good form in the mountains?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Never said he shouldn’t do interviews with the Beeb, but far more respected commentators than me (Richard Moore to name one) observed that he did the full rounds of the BBC, not in Team/corporate kit, both of which seemed deliberate choices given the subject matter. Why no interview on Sky?

No I don’t swallow everything that comes out of a press office, do you? Wiggins told the Beeb he was on top form, so either he became ill the second he landed in Switzerland or one of those claims isn’t true.

But its really clear youre a fanboy who won’t hear a bad word against him.

mrmoofo

At least Wiggo has his own set of balls,

Froome can only use him when his girlfriend lets him…

Let’s see what will happen … great if he wins it but he has to work on the hearts and minds bit, doesn’t he …

mattsccm
    Free Member

2 points, the opposite in many ways from each other.
    1. every post above is bollocks as really only B W + DB et al really know and the above is all prejudiced supposition.
    2. Just to keep in the usually STW frame on mind I was praying for wiggins to loose to Froome in 2012. why. Because Wiggins age means that he wasn’t going to be a multiple winner whereas Froome could be. It was irrelevant which Brit won as long as 1 did so better the long term. After all 2 wins by one Brit is better than 2 by 2. He could do more but its harder now. I do wonder in the usual totally uniformed and moronic way (see above) if Wiggins shows enough commitment. He jacked the Nationals today. Alright he got the TT but plenty of others did both. Looking ahead to the commonwealth I reckon. Well that’s going to do Sky bugger all good. Track at Rio I 16? Yeah , that show commitment to his wage payers.
    Hmm. Anyway the point is that he doesn’t fit and that matters more than emotional balls about having him at a British tour. Would he win a stage in Yorkshire? Nope so what would be so good. Now Cavendish missing would be a shame as he might come though. shame no British champs jersey on show there though.

aracer
    Free Member

What possible reason would the Sky team have to say he was ill if he wasn’t? Of course the statement about Wiggins being ill actually came from the directeur sportif Dan Frost, not the press office, and the statement about the team pulling him out of the race came from the team doctor, but don’t let facts like that get in the way of your stories.

Wiggins told the Beeb he was on top form, so either he became ill the second he landed in Switzerland or one of those claims isn’t true.

He spoke to Beeb on 6th June (maybe before, that was the date it was published). Tour of Switzerland started on 14th June. How long is he allowed to become ill for you to accept it? 1 week clearly isn’t enough – 2 weeks, or do you need a month?

But its really clear youre a fanboy who won’t hear a bad word against him.

I’m a fan, but quite happy to accept rational points against him (some negative comments I’m not disputing). It’s only the irrational stuff from the haterz like you I have a problem with.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

One less Brit to cheer at the Tdf then. Millar pulled from the squad after a poor nationals performance according to his Twitter.

DanW
    Free Member

Millar also appears to have been withdrawn from the Garmin squad despite initially being selected…

Lifer
    Free Member

Dowsett out of Movistar too.

AlexSimon

Not many left now.
    Come on Geraint! (although he wont be allowed to do much probably)

DanW
    Free Member

It’ll be a shame not to see Pete Kennaugh ride too as he’s been going well and clearly been working hard in the past year or two

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Aracer, flipside. I’m not a hater, I think he’s supremely talented and all the more interesting for being flawed. I dislike blind fanaticism and uncritical thinking. I come across as a hater, you come across as a fanboi, that’s the joy of the internet as reality and our actual standpoints are far more nuanced!

Still don’t think he should be in tour team, and am more disappointed and surprised about Millar being binned. As someone else tweeted there’s a great squad to be built out of the cast offs.

DanW
    Free Member

Well… only Gee, Cav and Froome representing Britain in the TDF now. This TDF is a home Tour more than ever before and there seems to be great interest from the general British public… but just 3 Brits… there are the same number starting from Luxembourg 😳

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

More Bretons than Britons, as inner ring tweeted.

jfletch
    Free Member

The Welcome to Yorkshire people must be fuming. They’ve paid out all these millions and there are very few riders for the locals to cheer on. It’s at odds with the massive sucess that British cycling is been heralded as in the media since the Olympics and Wiggo’s win. Puts a bit of a dampener on it.

I’m sure it will still be rammed and hailed as a sucess but people like Wiggins and Millar would have brought even more people in and created a buzz. There are still tickets for the team presentation with only 3 days to go.

And it’s forecast to rain.

Orica left to anounce. A PR win in the making if they select a Yates.

AlexSimon

Put all the British team sky riders in a squad and watch the cycling public go mental. Would they win – don’t know, but they’d be in with a shout and it would get more publicity than they will now.

Klunk
    Free Member

better hope Cav’s bronchitis clears up or it will be an even more depressing show 🙁

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i thought its was “bronchitis”

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

It’s a specific type of bronchitis that stops you racing an unsuitably hilly course when outnumbered by Sky riders, but allows you to ride for 6 hours in Tuscany according to your own Twitter feed.

But we’ve already established I’m too cynical 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Well having started from the last message and not read previous ones, I did assume you were talking about Wiggo after the first line 😉

Probably equally disappointed here. Not keeping up with these things all that well, does that mean Millar has probably ridden his last TdF? Oh and of course I disagree with you about Wiggo, but accept there are reasons for him not making the team (I still think it’s both a strategic and marketing mistake leaving him out).

aracer
    Free Member

😈

igm

Cav is Manx. Not part of Britain technically.

And then there was one…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘Team Sky announce team. Wiggins is watching from the side lines.’ is closed to new replies.