Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Presta valve in schrader rim?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Will I die? Got a free specialized tube with a new tyre but it’s presta valve and my rims are schrader drilled. Would it work ok or do you need some kind of adapter/washer to make it fit snug?

MadPierre

It will work.

though you can get little reducer gromits if you are that fussed

wwaswas

as above, normally fine although you can geta grommit for the outer hole to hold the valve firmly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    _tom_
    Free Member

Cool cheers, I was worried about the valve rattling around loads but should be ok for an emergency spare, I guess I could always wrap a load of tape around it to fill it out a bit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

small thing going into big hole – works.

big thing going into small hole – may struggle.

5lab

the tyre pressure will keep the valve in place once it’s pumped up

Junkyard
    Free Member

as will the lock ring

cynic-al
    Free Member

as will friction

smiffy

Schwalbe lockrings are designed to accomodate this.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Dont listen to any of the above. It will explode, and you will die.

HTH

Hopester
    Free Member

Put an extra lock ring inside the rim to stop any chance of the tube expanding thru the gap and popping

rob-jackson
    Free Member

hopester – what absolute first class bollox, that would never happen

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

The valve won’t rattle around. People go on about stopping the valve moving but the valve does not move, the tube moves and takes the valve with it so you don’t want to lock the valve down (unless you really like replacing tubes where the valve has torn out). It is a normal mod on a trials motorcycle running tubes to elongate the valve hole so that any tube movement can be accommodated and seen before damage occurs. I’ve always applied the same principle to any bike.

kimbers

i put a presta tube into a schraeder drilled rim on my dh bike about 2 years ago,even have a reducer thing soemwhere but never got round to putting it in – it still works fine and ive just done a week in the alps on it 🙂

Hopester
    Free Member

Cruzspackler Ive seen it happen. The same thing happens if you remove your rim tape

Edric64
    Free Member

What dick removes rim tape unless you want punctures from the spoke holes?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Presta valves have no place in mountain bikes.

_tom_
    Free Member

^even if you get them for free? 🙁

I have to admit I don’t really see the point in presta valves but my pump will do both so I might as well use it if it’s safe to do so, which it seems it is 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Presta valves have no place in mountain bikes

Why ? They are on all my bikes ,The others are for cars and kids bikes.Joking apart its a pita swapping pump ends all the time so all my bikes have presta

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Presta valve in schrader rim?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts