Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • present for a climber / outdoorsy type
  • clubber
    Free Member

It’s my bro-in-law’s birthday soon and rather than just vouchers from Snow and Rock or similar I’d like to actually get him something. He’s an avid climber but also generally into outdoorsy stuff. He’s pretty well kitted already so can anyone, climbers in particular, suggest anything?

budget is 20 – 40 quid ish

thanks in advance.

thegreatape
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

is that something that needs replacing?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

does he go backpacking / wild camping? Titanium spork is a good one.

mattstreet

Personally I’d avoid getting gear – unless you’ve been told exactly what to get – us climbers can be very fussy, just like MTBers… 🙂

Things like Rock Rings, Powerballs, RockFax guides (if you know he’s planning a trip), DVDs (e.g. Neil Gresham Masterclass), are all good though – you’ll have to do the research to find out what he’s already got tho.

Had a similar dilemma of what to get a couple of climbers as a moving-in gift. A handful of small screw-on holds, Hobbycraft magnets and superglue created these beauties:

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Moisturiser.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A campus board.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s not, and he’ll have one. But it’s an in budget item that he won’t need to try on first, like shoes/harnesses/clothes etc. It’s the sort of thing a climber might change once in a while.

highclimber
    Free Member

the problem with buying a climber anything climbing related is that if it is classed as PPE they won’t be able to exchange it for something they don’t have. I would be well chuffed if someone gave me £40 vouchers for somewhere like Slush and Rubble! just do that!

elaineanne
    Free Member
    HermanShake
    Free Member

I love those magnets!

Climbing can either be equipment light or heavy depending on his discipline. Is he into bouldering, sport, trad, indoor?

Cotswold Outdoor is also a good option for vouchers, I think their climbing range is a little more comprehensive. He’ll totally understand (and appreciate) you respecting his choice in the matter. Unless you take a punt and make sure it’s from S&R or Cotswold’s and he can exchange!

He may have his eye on a softshell/cam/new pair of rockshoes or something and your gift can contribute to it.

pennine
    Free Member

Does he like mountaineering/climbing type books? It’s usually my choice of present if asked (or I’ve hinted at). Amazon have a vast library to chose from. Not necessarily climbing but could be photos of Wales, Lakes,Scotland, Alps etc.

Spin
    Free Member

Socks. Really good socks. Can’t get enough of ’em.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Books, good call. Johnny Dawes’ autobiography has just come out.

sweepy
    Free Member

this is well cool, I dont need it, I have a titanium mug/pot that does the same thing, but I want it.

kaiser
    Free Member

disposable lighter powered blow torchfrom climbers world. just ordered one myself!

jimmy
    drain

Alpkit does some funky little gadgets / jewellery type stuff for climbers.

tangent
    Free Member

a classy mountineering climbing book…and or some nice paper maps?

alternatively if he visits his local climbing wall regularly, maybe buy a few sessions down there?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Very expensive wool socks. The sort of thing we all like but just can’t justify.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The “wet and dry” mountain equipment holdalls from Cotstwolds are a good bit of kit, and if it turns out he is happy with his existing luggage they’ll be easy enough to exchange. Either that or a nice bases layer or jumper – they tend to be the things guys will skimp on when buying for themselves but appreciate as a gift..

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the great suggestions and I love those fridge magnets – those may be for Xmas 🙂

So far, the leading suggestion is the lightweight mug thing since everyone needs a cup of tea when up a mountain 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

alpkit gamma and a ti spork.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘present for a climber / outdoorsy type’ is closed to new replies.