• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Prescription riding glasses (again)
  • MrGreedy

After a lot of messing about, Oakley have told me that they can't make up Flak Jackets (or indeed any of their range that I'd want) in my prescription after all, so after a £300 refund I'm back to square one.

Any other suggestions that are likely to be available for my relatively mild prescription (total power -4.5)? I know Rx Giro Filters are available from the US, anyone got any feedback on those?

P.S. I tried inserts and contacts before and wasn't keen so it has to be direct glaze.

thehustler
    Free Member

find a frame you like with decent curvature take it to/buy it from a good independent optician and they will ge able to glaze it for you.

mail me at k[dot]boulton1[at]sky[dot]com if you want more info

lu
    Free Member

Uvex: Reasonably priced and a fair few choices of frame styles which take prescription lenses.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member
    Eggbox
    Free Member

standard answer : Optilabs

ratherbeintobago

As another option, my optician (who is himself a semi-pro cyclocross racer) reckons that contacts + normal Oakleys is the way forward.

Having never really got on with contacts before, I've got dailies now (which I only really wear for the bike) and they're pretty good.

Andy

DickBarton

Adidas Evil Eye II – have a more flexible fit (so if you are like most humans and don't have a mirror image shaped head then they will fit better with some adjustment) and have the clip-in prescription bit – they 'should' be cheaper than your £300 Oakley stuff…

A lot of variety in colours and stuff and seem to do the job…there are plenty other providers out there as well but I've been very happy with my Evil Eyes…

aP
    Free Member

Rupp +Hubrach also make high base prescription lenses. Not cheap mind.

Townfox
    Free Member

I buy my contact lenses from Costco and i'm pretty sure they do a range of prescription glasses for sporty types..

They even do goggles for skiing and snow boarding etc..

You need to be a memeber of course but thats it, and its cheap as chips..

showerman
    Free Member

http://www.ciliaryblue.com/?gclid=CPn6yuaOhaQCFcU_4wod7z_J1A
    give them a call or email will call you back very helpful did my oakleys with a red mirror finish for £80 look looovely

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

http://www.lentoid.com/ is another one to try.
    The only glasses I've got are some Quicksilver varifocal transitions, they said they'd re-glaze them for £115, which I didn't think was bad.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Hora, what are the bolle safety specs like at cutting out the wind?

midlifecrashes

I'm lucky in that my usual opticians are H Dickinson and they keep a load of sports frames in from quite a few makers. I settled on Rodenstocks and had the fitted with high index curved Transitions, the tint is light enough for night riding, very nearly clear. Not cheap, but I can't wear contacts and they have been great. Would find frames to suit your face first then look at if they can be glazed to suit.

http://www.hdickinson.co.uk/

Rodenstock

funkynick

See if you have a local optician who stocks Rudy Project frames… there are a number of their frames that you can get glazed with prescription lenses.

I bought mine about a year ago and they are fantastic… but, like the Oakleys, they are not cheap.. I think mine were about £260, but I can pretty much see perfectly through the entire wrap of the lens.

Oh, and you can also get Adidas Evil Eyes glazed, but I think they were more pricey than the Rudys/Oakleys..

MrGreedy

Some helpful suggestions, thanks. Rupp+Hubrach in particular look promising – at this point I've spent so long looking that the money is a secondary concern. It's a shame there don't seem to be any decent independent opticians near me, looks like a trip to London may be in order.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Ex G/F got some off Optilab and while not stylish they worked. They said they used a modified equation to take into acount the wrap around of the lenses but no idea if that was marketing speak or fact. Worth a phone call IMO.

hora
    Free Member

Hora, what are the bolle safety specs like at cutting out the wind?

Good as they are safety (dust etc) I imagine.

Just remember to measure them up against your current. Mine do look alittle Sue Pollard but then I'd happily wear them rather glass ones etc on a ride.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Prescription riding glasses (again)’ is closed to new replies.