• This topic has 47 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Preparing to commute to work
  • edhornby

Lots of gloves, spare pair if the morning set are wet

Cycling cap under helmet, for warmth, keeps rain out of eyes and low sun

Full change stashed at work because you’ll forget your trousers one day…

Punctures on the roadside are best dealt with a stick on patch to get you home then a proper repair with rema tip top size zero

cloudnine
    Free Member

All depends on the elevation and climbing involved. If I ride to work it’s 10 miles and 1000ft each way. I usually do it twice a week and ride a longer route home of 18 miles and 1500ft elevation. I use it more as a training ride and do lots of sprints and threshold type climbs on the way home. I could probably ride everyday but would have to take it very easy and lots of slow climbing.

The other huge thing is road craft and awareness.. Positioning yourself in key situations so idiot drivers can’t overtake you at pinch points and coming up to junctions etc.

DezB
    Free Member

If you’re doing just a few rides a week to start with, check the forecast and try to avoid the windiest days. Wind against you on the way in makes a big difference to how knackered you are!

mtb1992
    Free Member

Well I’ve decided what I’m going to do to start with is drive to work and bike home then either get a lift in with guy I work with following day or bike in. Keep doing this for abit see how I get on, that way I’m never late to start with. Hopefully it will do my weight the world of good too.

pondo

Dunno if this works but I used to have a 45 mile each way commute, I would drive most of the way with the bike in the boot and cycle the last ten or twelve, worked really well for me (2 or 3 times a week generally, only ever once did it every day and I didn’t enjoy it. 🙁 ). 16 miles is a big chunk on an MTB with slicks if you’re just starting out – if you have the means and a safe place to leave the motor, I recommend the car/bike combo. 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

Good lights with batteries you trust and always packing night before / religiously charging lights as soon as you have any question over charge level and don’t overdo it to begin with. I found myself enjoying roughly timing myself by wristwatch and keeping track to see the improvement. Almost inevitably this obsession ended up on Strava, but that’s how it goes.

Overall I find I’m in a better mood all day at work and certainly more awake if I ride vs drive. Access to a shower and changing space is a huge plus if you have it!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Trouser clips.

Forget the naff metal ones.

You’ll find some proper sized elasticated Velcro types on ebay.

And an old baseball cap to wear under your bike helmet when it starts chucking it down.

DezB
    Free Member

Trouser clips.

I’d suggest riding in cycling gear rather than your flares.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Preparing to commute to work’ is closed to new replies.