Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • PPL License and Workshop
  • Fat-Lad
    Free Member

If there's only me working in the back do I still have to get a PPL? The website is less than useful to be honest.

The workshop is at the back of the shop and the door would be closed so customers can't hear it…

Fat Lad

skidartist
    Free Member

It effectively covers any playing of recorded music or music videos in a commercial, non-domestic setting – so the back room of a shop, or even a home office, may require a licence (but a private wedding party at a hotel may not). It also covers playing recorded music on your premises via radio/TV.

Nice of them to use the word 'may' to prevent any risk of information being divulged

Flaperon

IIRC the last one to visit my dad's old factory had the radio thrown at him as he made a hasty retreat for the door.

You don't have to give them access, and there's no legal obligation to buy one of their licenses. It's basically extortion.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

theyve been hassling me for about 3-4 weeks…ive done tons of research and come to same conclusion….;last time they called i switched off the radio and told them to send an inspector round….not seen one yet!

thehustler
    Free Member

Funny thing is they dont tell you it doesn't cover all commercial stations as some pay the royalties themselves as they need you to listen for advertising revenue…..

uplink
    Free Member

Is this different to PRS?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Good thread! I've paid PRS for our venue, now PPL reckon I owe them money. The stuff they sent me seemed to relate to music videos rather than music though, so I've put them on hold. I tried their website, but as quoted above it's very vague and ambiguous. This is for a private function venue btw.

Ewan
    Free Member

How would they find out? Surely you just wouldn't give them access?

Ewan
    Free Member

So you need both a PRS and PPL? What a joke. They're collecting royalties twice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘PPL License and Workshop’ is closed to new replies.