Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • powerbands-do they work?
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

Don’t worry Elf, the market for homeopathic* energy drinks, that also rid you body of toxins naturally, is a huge market yet to be fully exploited.

*Spell check suggested homoerotic energy drinks, which is also another brand for consideration.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

glad i asked…..order cancelled despite around ten chaps wanting them.sold by a pretty reputable accessory supplier..

nearly every golfer,hamilton,shaq’o neil,wiggins all seemed to have been duped…i was pretty sceptical but i did have a big enough demand to get em in or at least look at them…

ojom
    Free Member

what sort of margin were they offering you?

clubber
    Free Member

nearly every golfer,hamilton,shaq’o neil,wiggins all seemed to have been duped…

duped or paid?…

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

not an awful margin and dont seem to be discounted anywhere either…

ojom
    Free Member

best out of em i’d say

Andituk
    Free Member

I think the pros seen wearing them will be getting them free, and if they’re free and everyone else is trying them, they’ve got nothing to lose.

Bregante

Elf, how did you find that Amazon link. It’s the funniest thing I’ve read for ages

Kahurangi

You should get some of these in instead

http://skepticbros.com/2010/10/06/placebo-band/

dhrider
    Free Member

At the end of the day shops offer a service and sell what the customer wants to buy.

No one is forcing you to buy a power balance band so if someone wants to buy one it is entirely up to them.

I have tried one briefly and it seemed to do absolutely nothing for me as expected but there will always be people who believe in it.

It’s just mind tricks working in exactly the same way as people like Derren Brown can get people to do things and pick things with out them even knowing they are doing it.

Oggles
    Free Member

I tried one on today while out for dinner with a friend. She wore an extra small though, so it cut off the circulation to my hand after a minute or so. It didn’t give me extraordinary chopstick skills, and did little to prevent my swaying after a fair few bottles of Asahi 😉

I like the idea of those Placebo bands!

jonahtonto
    Free Member

apparently if you put one on your nob (extra small of course) it feels like your w***ing someone else

Mark

Chipps was told to put one against his glass of wine for 8 seconds.. It would apparently ‘open up’ the wine and is especially effective with young wines.

FFS!

At the end of the day shops offer a service and sell what the customer wants to buy.

No one is forcing you to buy a power balance band so if someone wants to buy one it is entirely up to them.

And that is absolutely fine so long as there are no fraudulent tricks plied on the customer to TRICK them into believing in the product. If Derren Brown applied his tricks on innocent people in the street as he does for entertainment but instead of just walking away managed to make them believe enough for them to part with £30 then it would be a whole different situation.

Cycleworlduk…. Good to hear you won’t be selling them. I hear the margins are very good.. In fact that’s what one supplier said to me when he tried to flog some to us. I said, ‘What’s so good about them?’.. he said,’The margins are bloody fantastic!’

Anyway… contact me directly and if you like you can have a month’s worth of advertising in the Classified slot in the right hand column over there -> for free 🙂

wwaswas

well done cycleworlduk – hopefully you can convince these customers that mad skillz are really best acquired through purchase of XTR 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

…..well done OP. It’s not as if there is not a million and one ways to deprive a MTB’er and their cash via the subtle art of shaving a gram off and anodising it.

ocrider
    sweepy
    Free Member

Its a plastic band and they are selling them for thirty quid, im not surprised the margins are good.
    They must cost about tuppence to make.

Mark

Now that they have (in several independent studies) been shown to be a placebo at best can those that still think they work step up and continue to argue their case please?

I think it’s good that we can all now agree that if you feel any benefit it’s all in your head. Fair enough?

Now it could be argued ‘so what?’ if you gain a benefit from one. But for me the fact there’s a company hiding ‘behind the bushes’ looking and pointing at you while giggling and counting your money is what really boils my piss.

R.lepecha

look guys, how are they going to sell these stupid things to the idiots who are stupid enough to buy them now?
    All they have to do is Google it and read this thread.
    Company profits – down.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a couple of the placebo bands (link on first page of this thread) to wear as a control group/statement, in the distant hope that I will have a giggle when someone wearing a ‘real’ one greets me as a fellow power-band buddy. If this could happen at a race in the middle of a long climb, from someone riding in expert/elite, that would also be extra funny please.

By the way, the skepticbros shop is selling them at 2 australian dollars (about £1.22) each on a not-for-profit basis. If that is what the powerband factory also charge wholesale for a couple of holograms in a silicon band, who gets what share of the other £28.77? 👿

cubemeup
    Free Member

i bought one and i would say no

robdob
    Free Member

You must be an unbelievably spectacular braindead muppet to even consider buying one. I cannot even comprehend how retarded someone must be for making such a purchase.

I suppose it might be a good “marker” for normal people to spot the special needs folk amongst us? 😉

toys19
    Free Member

I suppose it might be a good “marker” for normal people to spot the special needs folk amongst us?

You mean like an england flag thingy on your car window?

epicyclo

I’m going to buy 2 dozen of them and enter the Tour de France.

toys19 – Member
    You mean like an england flag thingy on your car window?

What’s wrong with an Englishman being proud of his country? The other parts of the UK are proud of their countries.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Cubemeup probably got scammed and bought one of the fake ones that don’t work.
    http://www.powerbalanceuk.com/counterfeit-power-balance.html

toys19
    Free Member

What’s wrong with an Englishman being proud of his country? The other parts of the UK are proud of their countries.

Oh look it works! 😆

DavidB
    Free Member

My mate had a powerband on his RD350LC and that flaming well worked I can tell you!

toys19
    Free Member

My mate had a powerband on his RD350LC and that flaming well worked I can tell you!

Hard to get replacement powerbands for 350lc’s nowadays though, wonder if these ones would work?

singlespeedstu

Those powerbands worked OK but were a bit narrow for my taste.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

yay for ethical retailers. Well done CycleWorldUK

epicyclo

toys19 – Member
    ‘What’s wrong with an Englishman being proud of his country? The other parts of the UK are proud of their countries.’
    Oh look it works!

Nah, haven’t got them yet for those special effects.

Just puzzled as to why an Englishman shouldn’t be proud of his country. (As a Scot, I know lots of reasons why they shouldn’t be proud 🙂 )

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

FFS!

Swear filter evasion? Naughty naughty… 😉

Well played to Cycleworld for not stocking them. Any other retailers; take note.

I’d quite happy to see these shysters put out of business really. But then, more fool people who buy them. £30??? Cheeze… 🙄

toys19
    Free Member

There is no reason, it was a joke on my part, possibly not a very good one.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Might just be my shonky laptop, but on a search for ‘power balance’ on CRC, no ratings stars show up on the results page:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=1212

Struggling to believe that nobody’s left a review on any one of these 14 products…

epicyclo

By the way, if you have bought a PowerBand, I have some mine detection gear going at a bargain price.

sweepy
    Free Member

Im going to buy ten of them and put them on one arm, and ten placebo ones and put them on the other arm. If they work I should look like i’ve had a stroke 😀

cubemeup
    Free Member

nar i bought a proper one from my golf shop cost me £30!!

edhornby

Bradley Wiggins

2009 no powerbands, 4th in the tour de france
    2010 black powerbands 28th in the tour de france

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘powerbands-do they work?’ is closed to new replies.