Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Potentially dumb headset question…
  • DT78
    Free Member

I have a standard 1 1/8 hope headset, I’m looking at a frame that needs an ‘integrated’ 1 1/8 headset.

Is this just a matter of not using the headset cups from the standard headset and it will all work or do I need some other bits (if so what are they?) or do I have to buy a whole new headset…

Thanks in advance

cynic-al
    Free Member

new headset

foxyrider
    Free Member

New headset

DT78
    Free Member

Bugger, was hoping there was re-use between the headsets and I could get away with just buying a part or two – do they take the same bearings then?

Some more ££’s to budget for.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not that I am aware of – I thought the integrated bearings are bigger outer Diam?

http://www.bikemongrel.com/site/uploads/08headsets&accesW.pdf

DT78
    Free Member

Yep not compatiable 🙁

Hope tech have a decent guide on their headsets

http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2010English.pdf

stuey
    Free Member

“will it come with a crown race?” – sorry flashback – couldn’t help it.

andrewh
    Free Member

Don’t know about the crown race. I’m sure if you did a quick forum search you could find some sage advise on the matter.

DT78
    Free Member

I don’t understand – are you telling me headsets don’t come with a crown race???

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Integrated headsets can be had pretty cheaps on CRC. I don’t know why there are so many ever so slightly different diameters of headtube though. Would have made sense to me for all the integrated stuff to us the 1.5″ standard?

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Might be worth a look at Superstar components too as they have some cheap deals, also on-one had some good deals on FSA headsets.

wwaswas

are you telling me headsets don’t come with a crown race???

I think it’s a question that could do with discussing at some length, personally.

OP: New Headset. Probably. Certainly if it comes with a new crown race. You can’t have too many crown races.

bassspine
    Free Member

if the headrace is on a conveyor belt it has a crown race….

andrewh
    Free Member

I think it’s a question that could do with discussing at some length, personally.

Are you sure that’s wise?

IHN

andrewh
    Free Member

We don’t know that for definate. There have been a number of theories proposed. I even thought I had the answer at one point, but I’d forgotton about semi-integrated ones.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Potentially dumb headset question…’ is closed to new replies.