Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Potential fraudulent transaction…?!
  • flyingfox
    Free Member

Now I know I am about to get a typed “kicking” for this but I wanted to gauge some opinions.

Obviously hypothetically, if you received a credit card transaction that went through for a £3K+ bike on your website after 3 unsuccessful attempts, the phone number did not work, but after emailing you get another number to call and you don’t think it’s your imagination when the guy was struggling to remember his surname.

What do you do? And unfortunately, I have had experience of this before, and the police only pricked up their ears when I said I would deliver the item myself and sort the problem myself.

Plus, even with all that evidence, the guy could be legit and I could be the…eejit. Again.

andrewh
    Free Member

Long shot, will the credit card company talk to you if you call them?
    When I’ve made lareg purchases (bikes) the man in the shop had to ring the card issuer and check it was me. Wasn’t necessary when I bought my car, but that was considerably cheaper.
    Also, our cedit card machine at work demands postcode and address numbers for a not present transaction. Do these match the delvery address you were given? Does your website even ask for this info?

flyingfox
    Free Member

Obviously hypothetically still. Our website asks for all of the above but somehow the CVC code has been put in the 4th time. However, the authentification was not taken. We’ve checked this and we have to go through this process. Weird.

I have logged in through the credit card company’s website so can see a lot. When I have called them before, they have simply said that it’s up to me – I have to choose whether to send the bike or not, then they (may) take the money back off me two months later.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

When I bought my wife engagement ring the card company actually rang me, within minutes, to check it was a legitimate transaction.

The response you’ve had suggesting it’s your choice is mind blowing, your trying to alert them to a potential fraud and they bat it back at you?

I’d refund it as if your asking us then you’re obviously unsure

Rorschach
    Free Member

We got hit last month….because it was only a partial match the cc insurance did’nt pay up (2k) 😥
    Then last week someone tries to buy 3 bikes over the phone and then send ‘his mate’ to pick them up…..and he did’nt seem too bothered what 3 bikes they were!
    As much as I hate to turn away 6k of trade if it sounds dodgy….it probably is.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Agreed. The last time this happened the guy was trying to buy a Look road bike. From his IP address and some computer experts we know, we managed to find his house, his real name (which was not the one he wanted the bike delivered to), find his landline, call him on it and terrify him just by talking about the bike, the whole works.

We passed all the info to the police and they couldn’t care less. I realise that there may be more pressing issues out there but even if this scum were picked up, they wouldn’t be punished as much as I would be driving at 82mph on the motorway (perhaps I’ve answered that myself then!).

They said the decision is mine (as did the credit card company) so I told them that my decision was to deliver the bike personally. Then they suddenly wanted to get involved because I became the bad guy!

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve called merchant services for telephone orders that seemed dodgy in the past as they can check the card holder name, address etc match those provided.

For online orders, I only accept larger orders if the buyer completes passes the 3D Secure check, the CVC code matches and also the address. If your intuition tells you it’s dodgy you are probably right.

I’d insist on a landline telephone number and only deliver to the home address (which I’d check that a person of that name lived there on http://www.192.com against the electoral roll).

flyingfox
    Free Member

Thanks for that. USeful stuff.

john_l
    Free Member

Are you set up for 3DSecure? Put it through that & the liability will (mostly) sit with the card issuer. Who’s your payment service provider? (not your card acquirer) They may be able to help further validate the txn.

But in all honesty, if you’ve got a bad feeling then decline the txn – £3k’s a lot of margin to make up if you lose it.

neninja
    Free Member

I thought that the merchant services providers were now insisting on 3D secure for UK online retailers. I use Sagepay on my main website but have found it easier to use Google Checkout and Paypal now for my other site.

flyingfox
    Free Member

We use Worldpay. Will check with the 3D secure chat in the morning. Thanks for that.

Is anyone out there dead wee and pure tough who would like to spend no longer than 20 hours in a bike box with only a pedal spanner for company?

flyingfox
    Free Member

Oh, and some allen keys. To obviously help build the bike.

flyingfox
    Free Member

It’s dodgy but the police were talking to me as if I were the criminal so I gave up.

I thought the passport falsification would be an issue but once again, they really don’t care.

So is there anyone in Leeds who is a nutter OR is there anyone down there that could do something on a more official basis? I don’t care for me – bike’s still here and will stay here. However, I’m pretty disappointed that I would get a kicking for speeding on a motorway but this guy can just run around ripping folk off and get away with it.

neninja
    Free Member

Sadly I’ve come to the conclusion that the police are not fit for purpose when it comes to online/credit card fraud.

I got ripped off a last year with a dodgy card. I tracked down those responsible and found evidence of extensive credit card fraud possibly linked with skimming card details at petrol stations. The same people had done time for it only a couple of years prior.

The police were utterly disinterested as “it’s hard when you have to work with other force areas”. They also tried to claim that it’s the bank’s job to investigate credit card fraud which is frankly laughable. They also said they’d be too busy if they investigated every case of card fraud despite me having done most of their leg work for them.

I had an initial meeting where it became obvious that the police are totally clueless with regard to internet fraud. They thought that the banks/credit card companies take the hit not the retailer. They didn’t take away the information I’d found and all I got were a couple of phone messages saying they were very busy and would get back to me. They never did. Pathetic as it was being handed to them on a plate.

desburns
    Free Member

Where in leeds? i live there!

irc

“From Sunday a change in the law, which has been approved by the Home Office, means victims should go to their bank rather than the police station.”

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23390837-fraud-victims-told-go-to-the-bank-not-the-police.do

flyingfox
    Free Member

I couldn’t possibly say now could I?

1 Brompton View
    Leeds
    LS11 6JA

He keeps getting mixed up as to his surname: Simon Olney one day, Simon Onley the next. Avoid if you ever come across this or at least dig more. Sorry to those legit folk with the name out there, I mean no offence but the guy taking your name may.

neninja
    Free Member

You’ve got to Google street view that address. Not sure which one No.1 is – the boarded up house or perhaps the one with caged windows and front door!!

charliedontsurf

We have had these, and I hang with other web shop owners, some have lost £8,000 in one go, even after the card company had OKd it on the phone..

I know of another local bike shop that lost £14,000 on one sale.

Don’t risk it.

On the one I had it was $5,000, smelt funny, two extra small 29er frames in the same colour? Called PayPal and they said it was safe to procedd, but hey still might reclaim it. Did nothing other than post a letter to the delivery address / card holder, got no reply, so will wait for card co to claim back. Months have passed, if you spent that much on frames you would call or email to find out where they are, wouldn’t you?

You have to look after yourself, it’s your business and no one else will look after it. Times are tight, a £14,000 bike fraud would be tough to recover from… But I don’t sell £14,000 bikes.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Thanks Charlie. Right now anything would be tough to recover from, let alone £3K or even £14K! The backup just isn’t there. It’s a shame but I have had to use that tactic before – not delivering and seeing what happens. I don’t think I’ve delayed any genuine customers yet but the fear of doing so is always there…!

AlexSimon

two extra small 29er frames in the same colour?

Seems a very odd thing to buy if the intention is to sell them on for as much money as you can get.
    Mind you, I can imagine that your choice of bikes, might have thrown them a bit lol.

davidrussell
    Free Member

at least when the dodgy customers come through the door you can spot them right away! 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

I know that area in Leeds.

I won’t say too much in case I offend anyone.

But I would send it if I were you mate 😕

foxyrider
    Free Member

If in doubt leave it out!

davidrussell
    Free Member

But I would send it if I were you mate

i presume you mean you wouldn’t!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Potential fraudulent transaction…?!’ is closed to new replies.