Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Posting Google Photos images
  • aracer
    Free Member

I don’t know if this has been done? It occurred to me that rather than upload to imgur or photobucket to post on here, my phone pics are already on Google Photos which I can share.

So eventually I worked out how to post them on here from my PC – put it in a shared album, open the pic, right click – copy image address, paste that into goo.gl (or any other url shortener), then put the shortened url in the img tags (hopefully this works for other people):

However on my phone I can’t right click on the photo to get the address to shorten – is there something I’m missing here?

Has anybody got a better way of doing this – it seems like it ought to be something lots of people would like to do?

scotroutes

Have you tried getting the image URL from picasaweb? It should have all the same albums/permissions.

Stoner
    Free Member

No, it’s a real git.

If I’m away from a laptop and want to post a pc, I use Picasa tool on my android to put the photo in a Picasa album, I then use Picasa tool to give me a link, take that link to chrome browser, request desktop site and you’re back in 2010 and can get a url.

For an amazing company it’s a proper pile of poo.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, so even the Google fanbois think it’s a bit rubbish 😉

I’m thinking that I can probably write a Chrome extension to automate doing it on a PC (presumably Chrome extensions also work on Chromebooks?) but I’d have to write an app for Android which may be a bit beyond my current app skills. Just amazed that nobody has already done it, because I’m sure it must be possible to automate.

…and using Picasa appears to avoid the extra step of shortening the url:

What’s going on with Picasa and Google Photos – same content in both, but different interface, is Picasa just a old interface they’ve not got rid of?

grum
    Free Member

On an iPhone you can hold down on the picture and select copy, then post that link into a new tab to get the url

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

[img]http://[/img]

sadexpunk

id love a simple method too, just cant ever find an easy way to post pics on forums. im an adroid fan, but hate the whole google photos/picasa/google+ thing.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like I can either. Blimmin technology.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So, what’s the easiest way of posting photos from a phone these days? I used to use imgupr but that died on its arse and doesn’t work anymore. The imgur app lets me upload and if I “copy link”, I get this: http://imgur.com/a/UDVa3 which I thought I’d have to add “.jpg” to the end when using the IMG button…but it doesn’t work. No probs from desktop site as it has a sidebar of links to copy, one of which is the BB code for posting. imgupr used to provide the BB code from within the app and was the fastest way of posting from a phone…for me anyway…but as far as I can make out, the imgur app doesn’t.

Any other iOS apps that allow upload–>copy BB code link–>post to shonky forum?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

grum
    Free Member

Darcy imgur works fine from within safari on iOS for me. You can select the BB code option – the direct link then adding img tags on here doesn’t seem to work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah from within safari…ill give that a try. 💡

EDIT: that works ta. Still a bit shonkier than using imgupr but hey, ho, it’s something for now. Ta.

nickc

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks for that – it confirms what I’d noticed, that the photos are still visible even after I’d unshared the album, so the “share” step isn’t needed – but I wasn’t entirely sure I hadn’t missed something else so didn’t want to say that definitively. It also allays my concerns about privacy of other pics, whilst explaining the reason for the awkward long URLs.

Ah, not just me then!

Looking at the Picasa API now for a way to simplify this – though given this problem is now at a stage where I know it can be solved given sufficient coding effort I still think there must be somebody with programming skills who does more stuff with images than me who’s already done it – yet I’m not seeing any apps. PC based stuff should be fairly simple, but as mentioned above I really don’t have enough Android experience to be confident of doing it on that.

I was going to check people could see my pics up there, but I can see them in incognito mode as mentioned in that article, so presumably they’re fine. Kicking myself that I’d never thought before to try incognito mode to check if things work for people who aren’t logged into my account, or don’t have my cookies (and that should presumably also be an easier way to read articles on news sites where they store cookies to only allow you so many articles a month).

Stoner
    Free Member

Head’s up!

Stormy sees ahead I reckon…

http://googlephotos.blogspot.co.uk/?hl=en_GB

aracer
    Free Member

Though it looks like the functionality we’re interested in is being retained – it also seems that the required parts of the API will still work. The only question is when they’ll also get rid of that – because it appears almost inevitable that at some point they will. Hopefully they’ll introduce a Google Photos API first.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Posting Google Photos images’ is closed to new replies.