Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Why does Google Photos hate me?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It used to be so easy. I took a photo with my phone and when I look4ed on the laptop it was there, right click and copy the image location, post it into any thread and it worked.

Now they give you a stupid long URL that you can’t use other than to go to another website where it gets translated to a short URL which you then copy and paste that into the thread.

If I wanted to group pictures together then I selected all the pictures, click to create an album with the option of sharing publicly. Now there are albums or collections which appear to be the same but if you are looking for a picture you now need to check both collections and albums.

I set up a Photobucket but struggled to get stuff synchronising. Might give it another go but that gives me a third place to try and find the bloody photos…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Now I remember why I stopped using Photobucket

Wait for page to load

See lots of other peoples random pictures

STOP DOING EVERYTHING UNTIL YOU CLOSE THIS ADVERT

Try and find the Upload from Phone or Copy from Google Pictures button

Click Close

Wait for page to load

No option to copy from Google photos unless you paste each URL individually

Click Close

Shit, closed too many windows. Restart the browser and navigate to Photobucket

Click Close

No, still can’t find out how to upload 30 pictures without doing it one by one

Click Close

Give up

5thElefant
    Free Member

I think it might be you.

sadexpunk

nah, im with you, hate google photos, cant get on with it at all. currently using flickr.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Look, all photos treated in the same way and it still hates me : http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/latest-man-cave-project

oldnpastit

Google photos hates me as well. Eventually I took the hint and moved to Flickr.

Google has an algorithm which works out who is worth keeping and who isn’t (based on advertising take-up, demographics and such-like). They then make sure the substandard users get the really crappy versions of the program until they move on.

slackboy

picasaweb still works. you can share pictures from there and grab the image URL in a format that this website can handle.

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

scotroutes

phiiiiil

I still use picasaweb for stuff like this, mainly because google photos doesn’t seem to have a publicly available page that lists all your public albums any more. From what I can tell you have to share each album individually instead, which is no good…

Stoner
    Free Member

+1 picasaweb.

In google photos, add images you want urls for to a picasaweb album, and from there you can pick up the sensible length urls for embedding in posts etc.

retro83
    Free Member

On the subject of Picasa, have Google abandoned it?

I’m seeing bugs with Windows 10 and there have been no updates for a while.

Stoner
    Free Member

no id3ea about picasa. Phiiiiillll and I are talking about the web site, not the windows client.

josemctavish
    Free Member

He meant the web version:

Log in here and all your Google Photos are available to share more easily. I use it whenever I make a thread on here about a ride with lots of pictures.

sadexpunk

ive just been p*ssing about for ages again in flickr this time trying to get a url for a web forum pic. couldnt do it. just followed the advice ^^^ for picasaweb and done in a few secs.

so, is it best for me to just upload the odd pic to picasaweb as and when i need a url, or is there a setting where itll grab all my googlephotos as i take them, so it mirrors flickr and google photos?

cant believe in this day and age its so hard to link a bluddy photo to the net!!

Stoner
    Free Member

if you go to picasaweb, and go “home”

there should be an “auto backup” album there, which is effectively the same as the Photos general dump in google photos

https://photos.google.com/

just sorted into sub albums by day.

I think you can set the parent access to public so that you can grab a url and stick it in a thread. I will have a go

no you cant

you will have to go into the Backup subfolder, and then once viewing a particular image, use “Actions” to move to a public folder.

personally, I manually move a photo (from within https://photos.google.com/ ) to an album I just use for thread images.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW – this is a handy note on why the google image urls are the way they are now

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/23/8830977/google-photos-security-public-url-privacy-protected

sadexpunk

if you go to picasaweb, and go “home”

there should be an “auto backup” album there, which is effectively the same as the Photos general dump in google photos

im with you so far….

found all the pics it looks like ive ever taken, organised into daily photos. for some reason the last one is 2nd november 2015 tho? what happened then to stop them ‘auto saving’ recent pics?

I think you can set the parent access to public so that you can grab a url and stick it in a thread. I will have a go

no you cant

you will have to go into the Backup subfolder, and then once viewing a particular image, use “Actions” to move to a public folder.
    to make links accessible to a forum, it looks like i have to click on the album to open it, and then edit it to ‘private’, ‘public’ or ‘limited, anyone with the link’.
    i chose the last option as i figured id always give the link in a forum post or whatever. so…… can you see this pic below?

if so looks like ive sort of cracked it (or rather you have :-))

thats if i can get my recent photos to autosave that is.

thanks

scotroutes

I can see that Hurricane!

sadexpunk

I can see that Hurricane!

excellent, looks like its working then. (you can buy the hurricane if you want) 😀

just need to work out why its not auto saving anything past 2nd november now.

Stoner
    Free Member

check your phone settings in photos to backup.

Edukator
    Free Member

I just use the google image url, I’ve always assumed people would say something if they couldn’t see.

scotroutes

See what?

Edukator
    Free Member

My 18-year-old son.

phiiiiil

On the subject of Picasa the desktop client, I’ve used it for years and still use it regularly on Windows 10 and I don’t recall seeing any new issues (nor can I think of any vaguely serious ones I’ve had in the past, to be honest…).

sadexpunk

my picasaweb still isnt showing any of my pics later than november last year. been into my ‘photos’ app on phone, settings, says its syncing to my gmail.

any ideas why i cant see anything recent in picasaweb?

retro83
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    On the subject of Picasa, have Google abandoned it?

I’m seeing bugs with Windows 10 and there have been no updates for a while

Just a quick update, Google have now officially killed Picasa. Not sure if this is the desktop, android and web clients.

bob_summers

They abandoned us Linux users about 4 years ago. Sob.

phiiiiil

From a random article

Google is fading out the Picasa desktop application starting on March 15.

Bah! I’ve used Picasa for years, it’s a brilliant program… here’s hoping it keeps working for years to come. *scurries off to make sure I’ve got a backup of the installer*

retro83
    Free Member

it’s already buggy on w10 so looks like I’ll be needing a replacement. Looking at cyberlinks power photos /power director bundle. Gets decent reviews and cheaper than adobe.

phiiiiil – Member
    On the subject of Picasa the desktop client, I’ve used it for years and still use it regularly on Windows 10 and I don’t recall seeing any new issues (nor can I think of any vaguely serious ones I’ve had in the past, to be honest…).

Try playing a HD video, e.g. from a phone. About 10fps even on my i7. Also the DPI I’d wrong so everything is either miniature or blurry, plus some other stuff that I’ve forgotten the details of. Scanning is definitely buggy. I have to keep manually renaming directories for it to rescan them.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Why does Google Photos hate me?’ is closed to new replies.