Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Postal etiquette question
  • finbar
    Free Member

When is it correct to put “FAO such-and-such” on an envelope? Why not just write the person’s name?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You are primarily wwriting to an organisation and not the individual.

jota180
    Free Member

Usually for business use, gives anyone else in the dep’t the authority to open it

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks.

So, if i’m making a complaint and writing to the CEO of a company, would it be better to address it to him “FAO…”?

wwaswas

I woul tend to use FAO when writign to a job title; “FAO Credit Controller”. If it’s to a named individual then

“John Smith,
    Credit Controller,”

for the chief exec then by name only would be better.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you only want him to open it. Address it to him.

If you don’t mind if someone opens it on his behalf, FAO is better.

Cougar

Good question. “Mark it for my attention” seems de rigueur in corporate environments, but I never really stopped to think about why.

I suppose if you’re sending something to someone not internal to the organisation then you might use FAO. Eg, I might have equipment delivered to a customer’s site addressed “FAO Cougar, Cougar’s Company” as otherwise the delivery guy might be looking for my company at the customer’s address, or the Goods In people might reject it (no-one here by that name). But TBH I’m not sure what difference if anything “FAO” makes.

geoffj

So, if i’m making a complaint and writing to the CEO of a company, would it be better to address it to him “FAO…”?

Use his name and mark it Private & COnfidential

lilchris
    Free Member

Address to the individual and mark “Private and confidential”.

That way it’ll get to them, else you’ll get a lovely generic response letter from their PA!!

Edit: beaten to it!

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks very much – will do.

edlong
    Free Member

I’d go with “Strictly Private & Confidential: Addressee Only” followed by the CEO’s name. I know of plenty of organisations where a simple “Private & Confidential” will get opened by the PA..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Postal etiquette question’ is closed to new replies.