Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • portable DAB, battery performance
  • scaredypants

are there any decent ones ?
    I don’t mean tiny pocket-size, just maybe size of a box of tissues but all (both) the ones I’ve tried barely pick up a signal on batteries and seem to run them flat quite fast.
    Ta in advance

Harry_the_Spider

Pure Move batteries last for ages but it may be too small based on what you wrote in the OP.

scaredypants

good reception & decently loud, Harry ?

Harry_the_Spider

Reception is the same as the Evoke but it isn’t massively loud.

I’m off work today with a sick kid so I’ll do some experiments (with the radio, not the kid).

Hang on a mo and I’ll do a volume test.

scaredypants

nope, can’t hear it 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

😆

Experiment 1.

Radio in bathroom. Can hear it all over the house.

Experiment 2.

Radio in garden. Can hear it clearly from 15 yards despite background noise from M62.

See fig 1.

fig 1.

scaredypants

cheers, reckon that’ll do me

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t know how long the battery will last with it turned up to 11.

It is usually on for 30 mins a day in the bathroom and gets charged every 4 or 5 months.

Mooly
    Free Member

Hi there. I have a Pure One Elite and the sound quality is amazing. Goes through the batteries but you can get a rechargeable pack for an extra £30

derek_starship
    Free Member

Harry – you really ought to join thewatchforum.co.uk. Take your radio to the beach and photograph it.

Harry_the_Spider

😀 That was my inspiration.

Whilst out doing “the shoot” I saw where the missing bits of the shed roof are. About 50 yards away on next door but one’s lawn!

monkeychild
    Free Member

HTS what’s with the sacrificial circle??

Harry_the_Spider

Come round and I’ll show you. Will you be missed?

Tonolina
    Free Member

The new Roberts Solardab – Mains rechargeable but will run in sunlight without draining batteries. It will run all day outside and has an aux input for your mp3 player.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I have an evoke-2 with battery pack. Batteries last ages, sounds great and looks good with wooden case. Got an Aux in, so take it in our campervan and play ipod through it as well.

derek_starship
    Free Member

supersessions – is that the standard Evoke 2 or the 2S / 2XT?

I’d love a battery pack in my Evoke-2 if it’s possible.

Ta.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve got a Pure one that’s a couple of years old, takes 6 c-type batteries. It easily loud enough (in the bathroom) but using decent rated rechargeable batteries I need to recharge them after about 10 days (30 minutes a day use).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Come round and I’ll show you. Will you be missed?

😆

alfagtv1969
    Free Member

Look no further than the Roberts sports DAB. Has only rechargeable batteries, absolutely brilliant, last hours on one charge.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

We’ve got a Roberts SolarDAB – very good sound and also battery life is fine for our use – quite a good few hours at reasonable volume – not sure what contribution the solar panels make, not much really.

And we’ve also got a Revo Radio Station which has DAB, but will also play internet radio via your router. Has lots of volume (quite a bit louder than the Roberts if you need it) but maybe not quite such good battery life.

martymac

roberts gemini 59 here, a good 8 hours at a reasonable volume, using 2000mah batteries. (4AA)
    you can get batteries like these including a charger for about 13 quid in tesco, btw, comes with a car charger too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘portable DAB, battery performance’ is closed to new replies.