Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Pop quiz…
  • Cougar

… no Googling! Have a guess.

So, the moon goes round the Earth, yes? And the Earth (for all practical purposes) goes round the Sun.

Well, the Sun (along with the rest of our our solar system of course) goes round the Milky Way in a similar fashion. Question is, how many orbits has the Sun got left before it runs out of fuel and dies?

Nearest answer gets five Cougar Points. I’ll post the answer later tomorrow morning. No cheating!

Jamie
    Free Member

boxelder

2, or 9,397,456?

Edit – he saw my answer sir

mikewsmith
    Free Member

27.5 it’s the new 42

scaredypants

half

lerk
    Free Member

Orbits of m-way? I’ll guess 0.42 following the HHGTTG theme!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wesley Snipes

scotroutes

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk[/video]

scaredypants

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Wesley Snipes

Is that country rhyming slang for something ?

samuri
    Free Member

5 trillion.

samuri
    Free Member

Now I’ve checked I see someone else has the right answer.

scaredypants

is it flash ?

chewkw
    Free Member

One. I win and we turn carbon.

😆

Garry_Lager

Is there something at the centre of the milky way that our solar system is orbiting?

What’s the milky way orbiting?

scaredypants

dark matter

… maaannn !

lerk
    Free Member

Samurai – are you looking at different info to me? I checked my working and I don’t think anyone has it yet…

scaredypants

It’s a lot faster than I expected, TBH

Ambrose

Some!

I’m annoyed. I’ve just finished marking a set of 31 Year 8 science books so I come on to here to relax a bit, y’know- chill…

And then some bloke called Cougar (a MOD!- does he ride a scooter, a Cougar Scooter?) goes and gets my poor tired brain all fired up again when all I really want to do is relax.

Any way, don’t know, don’t care (sulks).

Junkyard
    Free Member

We hit andromada first in is about 4 billion years time so the milky way wont exist as the two merge to create one galaxy – sun lasts about 8 billion years iirc though it depends on what you mean by lasts but it will technically be using fuel.

Cougar

Is there something at the centre of the milky way that our solar system is orbiting?

The centre of mass of the Milky Way.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sagittarius A *- thought it was and just checked

Cougar

We hit andromada first

There’s always one. (-:

For the purposes of the OP question, assume nothing else goes wrong first.

scaredypants

The centre of mass of the Milky Way.

I prefer “long galactic bar” 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

The sun has about 6 billion years to go and a cosmic year is about 250 million years long. Pretty simple.

samuri
    Free Member

Aah, re-read the question. Yep, no-one has it yet. Apart from me obviously.

busydog
    Free Member

26 X 29 X 650B = > quite a few

JoeG
    Free Member

Baby robin!

shermer75
    Free Member

How long does it take to complete an orbit? If its a billion years then I’m going to say eight.

konabunny
    Free Member

I don’t know but I blame Thatcher.

sadexpunk

pop quiz?? you sure? wheres the music?

lets do a proper pop quiz, right answer sets next question. ill start with an easy one….

what were joy division previously known as?

redstripe
    Free Member

warsaw and stiff kittens before that, and my question, what Northern Soul song was the riff from Joy Divison’s Interzone song nicked from?

molgrips
    Free Member

I know the words to the galaxy song…

slackalice
    Free Member

Our solar system takes something like 200 – 250 million years to complete one orbit, or one cosmic year, around the centre of our galaxy. We’ll certainly do a few turns before the Milky Way coalesces with Andromeda in about 4billion years. AFAIK, our joining with Andromeda won’t be too catastrophic, as the distances are so vast that very few collisions will occur, but quite frankly, who gives a shit because it’s 4 billion years away.

Are we talking billions as in 1,000 million or a million million?

Makes a bit of difference to the answer

Pigface
    Free Member

Straw man 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

our joining with Andromeda won’t be too catastrophic, as the distances are so vast that very few collisions will occur

Yes its unlikely to destroy earth or our solar system. However the temperature here will be so hot there wont be any liquid water so its a mute point.

bearnecessities

Negative fluff

mt
    Free Member

Space oddity

DezB
    Free Member

(I did Google for that picture, but not the answer)(honest)

Cougar

Some interesting responses here, cool. Annoyingly, I don’t have a citation for the source for this any more and I just know I’m going to get challenged on it. Que sera; you’re just going to have to take my word for it or google it for yourselves (and no doubt tell me I’m wrong).

If I’d have been asked this cold without really giving it much thought, I’d have guessed it’s either a stupidly large amount or a fraction. The actual answer surprised me, I thought “oh, that’s interesting” and thought I’d share here.

Essentially, this is a ‘big number’ question. The Sun is travelling a very very long way and will live a very very long time. When you divide a very very big number by another very very big number, you get a much more comprehensible figure as a result.

Before the Sun runs out of fuel, it will complete another thirty-one orbits of the Milky Way. For perspective, the last time we were at this point in the galaxy, dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

I’m half tempted to give the points to Ambrose, I couldn’t work out whether his answer was devilishly subtle or a complete fluke.

Jamie
    Free Member

Some interesting responses here, cool. Annoyingly, I don’t have a citation for the source for this any more and I just know I’m going to get challenged on it. Que sera; you’re just going to have to take my word for it or google it for yourselves (and no doubt tell me I’m wrong).

If I’d have been asked this cold without really giving it much thought, I’d have guessed it’s either a stupidly large amount or a fraction. The actual answer surprised me, I thought “oh, that’s interesting” and thought I’d share here.

Essentially, this is a ‘big number’ question. The Sun is travelling a very very long way and will live a very very long time. When you divide a very very big number by another very very big number, you get a much more comprehensible figure as a result.

Before the Sun runs out of fuel, it will complete another thirty-one orbits of the Milky Way. For perspective, the last time we were at this point in the galaxy, dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

I’m half tempted to give the points to Ambrose, I couldn’t work out whether his answer was devilishly subtle or a complete fluke.

TL;DR 31.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Pop quiz…’ is closed to new replies.