Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Poor Immune System
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think I’ll walk home topless since the human race is obviously immune to the effects of the cold.

I’ve been studying this, and wearing the minimum clothing consistent with marginal decency this winter, with no ill effects so far. A few days my feet have hurt from the cold in sandals.

I wear slightly more sensible clothing when biking so as not to inconvenience the others 🙂

crispy bacon – Member

See there’s your problem, either move to a smaller house with a shorter drive or pay someone else to clear the snow off for you, you tightwad

I don’t have a particularly big house or large drive. We share the drive with 3 other houses, so it took me 3 hours because (a) the snow was knee deep and (b) I shovelled the snow off the whole thing, not just my bit. My Mrs said I was a mug for doing the whole lot and said I should’ve just done our bit.

Anyway, glad to hear it’s not just me who’s catching colds all the time so it’s unlikely I have the really bad AIDS, just need to eat more fruit and veg and take some more vitamins by the sounds of it.

matt_outandabout

grynch – Member.

common variable indeed… I so dislike anything common !!

I agree – its far from common, especially if you are under 60 or so!

It is variable mind….:?

Jamie
    Free Member

mike-at-dialledbikes:

…..so it’s unlikely I have the really bad AIDS…..

Otherwise known as eighties AIDS, that one was a killer.

Apparently from the 90s onwards it just clears itself up.

woody2000
    molgrips
    Free Member

the prevarications of scientists paid by vested interests to discover this or that do not concern me

You clearly know nothing about how science works. A lot of research is paid for by companies, but a lot isn’t. Who do those people who advise you to eat more fruit and veg work for? Birds Eye? Fyffes? I too am almost immune to low-grade illnesses, am very warm blooded and I don’t eat a lot of fruit and veg. I used to eat hardly any and I still wasn’t ill. But I am not conceited enough to think that because of this I know more than those who’ve been researching physiology since I was in nappies. I just consider myself lucky.

If you actually use your brain, you’d understand that we are talking about RISKS here. So a poor diet increases the RISK of certain things. It doesn’t mean you are definitely going to be ill, or die early, or whatever. It goes back to a very well-worn argument that often comes out – everyone knows someone who lived to be 95 and smoked 20 a day. Does that mean that smoking doesn’t really cause cancer? No, it doesn’t. Because when you look at a larger sample, you will see that lots and lots of people DO get lung cancer who smoke.

I’ve been studying this, and wearing the minimum clothing consistent with marginal decency this winter, with no ill effects so far.

Again, you might be able to do this but lots of people aren’t. So either they are snivelling weaklings under the influence of winter clothing manufacturers’ marketing, or we are all made differently. Which is more likely?

I am a generous type, and I want to be nice to people and have them like me. I’m sure I’d get along with you in real life Simon and I don’t bear you any animosity but sometimes, you are a prize tw*t. One of the main reasons for this is that you just don’t listen to what other people say. Not properly. You have your own little ideas and think that (maybe because you’re blessed with some intelligence as well as a strong constitution) you’re always right. But true intelligence starts with the ability to know what you don’t know.

stufield
    Free Member

You don’t catch a cold from being out in the cold, I too believe that going out in cold weather is actually beneficial and indeed when feeling poorly with a cold some exercise can be a good thing.

There have been many studies that say you body takes what it needs and, so over dosing on vit c and others isn’t really going to do much to help, same principle as Detox fads your body can get rid of the stuff it doesn’t need and no amount of cranberry juice is going to make any difference.

traildog
    Free Member

I think I’ll walk home topless since the human race is obviously immune to the effects of the cold.
    I’ve been studying this, and wearing the minimum clothing consistent with marginal decency this winter, with no ill effects so far. A few days my feet have hurt from the cold in sandals

It’s true! I’ve seen him walking around sub zero temps in Lancaster wearing a thin T-shirt, shorts and Jesus slippers. A few hours after he’s had his coffee and gone home, teenage girls appear, drinking more slightly more intoxicating liquids, but wearing just as little. Simons conclusion from all this is appears to be that the human body doesn’t feel the cold. Mine is that some people feel the cold less than others. Either of us could be right, I will certainly be keeping my coat and, most importantly for me, my hat on in such situations.

To the OP: Plenty of broccoli and green tea will help you fight off colds IMHO. I almost never get colds now I’ve gone veggie, which means eating lots of fruit, greens and quality veg and seed oils/fats.

Flaperon

I would have thought that if you’re catching a cold, your immune system is fairly good. After all, symptoms of a cold are the indications of a fight put up by your body.

If the common cold rapidly deteriorated into pneumonia or something, then it’s time to get worried. 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simons conclusion from all this is appears to be that the human body doesn’t feel the cold.

Actually Simon’s conclusion is that one need not pay attention to the cold, and that eventually you can come not to feel it 🙂

most importantly for me, my hat on in such situations

due to a lack of hair 🙁

mildred

Mike, I’ve emailed you with a bit of info’.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Don’t worry about it.
    Go to the pub for a beer.
    Eat what you like.
    Roll on summer!

bomberman
    Free Member

well i doubt you’ve got flu mike because you’d be laid up in bead sweating your t*ts off now if you had. flu’s a pretty nasty virus and you don’t catch it by going out in the cold to clear a bit of snow off your drive. secondly, if you had something wrong with your immune system you’d be suffering with all sorts of little bacterial/fungal skin disorders, rashes, prickly heat, hives etc.

Diet is often shunned as a reason for getting colds by people who eat badly and never seem to get ill, but since colds are also viruses it just means they haven’t been exposed. many of the vitamins you get from eating fruit and veg are enzyme co-factors and without them the enzymes in your body work slower and less efficiently. to keep your immune system in pristine condition you need all these co-factors to help it produce all the complex biomolecules involved in an immune response in good time to fight off infection. If you haven’t got these co-factors when you need them your immune system will be slow to react and the virus will take hold. There’s nothing wrong with taking a multivitamin daily to help you get the most out of the food you eat.

Tim (BSc Biochemistry)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Diet is often shunned as a reason for getting colds by people who eat badly and never seem to get ill, but since colds are also viruses it just means they haven’t been exposed

so people all around me, and living in my house get ill, but I’m not exposed?

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Poor Immune System’ is closed to new replies.