Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 269 total)
  • POLICE, ANPR,and speed checks, whats the problem,with some motorists
  • project
    Free Member

So driving along a 60mph road, doing about 50, due to the idiot in a toyota driving up to the bumper of the van in front and then dropping back.

All of a sudden all the vehicles coming towards us, round a slight bend starting flashing their lights, and waving,(so i just waved back),got round the corner and there was a police car doing speed checks, well done that officer, so carried on driving a further few hundred yards a camera van ANPR,hard braking by the toyota, to 30mph ,despite it being a 60mph road, after he went past the van speedy acceleration until he almost hit the van again,more vehicles flashing their lights, now 2 Police motorcyclists, so he slows down again.

Total muppet.

Also why do motorists feel the need to warn others that there is a speed check,i think i will start telling shoplifters theres a security guard watching them, a more minor crime,where nobody is going to get seriously hurt.

GrahamS

Also why do motorists feel the need to warn others that there is a speed check

Fine British tradition innit?

The AA was actually founded as an organisation to help motorists avoid speed traps.
    They started the trend for warning members of upcoming speed traps and it blossomed from there.

s
    Free Member

Some folk see it as a Gov. speed tax?

some folk hate the police?

Some folk have nothing better to do?

As for me, I dont speed, so makes no odds either way.

faz083
    Free Member

Well without starting something big, let’s be honest – there is 0 consistency between speed limits and types of road. Where I live there is a national speed limit (60) road with a pavement next to it, the pavement is used CONSTANTLY for people walking to a shop. However I can drive 10 miles and go to a town, and drive for 5 miles along a 40mph road with no pavement whatsoever. It’s ludicrous.

I’ll always flash my lights to warn others as I feel speeding is nowhere near as major crime as shoplifting. In fact, I’d go so far as to say it’s no real crime at all. When the roads, conditions and other traffic allow so, I will drive at whatever speed I feel comfortable and appropriate, and that is how I feel most safe.

My personally most hated group of drivers is the 40mph brigade – 40mph wherever, whenever. Then the full beams, horns, fog lights, gestures come on when you go for an overtake. Takes the michaels.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Speed cameras are apparently to make us drive beneath the speed limit. Flashing your lights when there a police car about will slow you down. Objective achieved, no?

GrahamS

(60) road with a pavement next to it… a 40mph road with no pavement whatsoever. It’s ludicrous.

So the road that has no safe area for pedestrians to walk in has a slower speed limit than the one with a separate pavement?

ludicrous 😕

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well without starting something big, let’s be honest – there is 0 consistency between speed limits and types of road.

2 things to point out:
    You can write to the local council and ask why the limit is what it is, usualy there’s a reason, usaly it’s a complaint from residents or a series of accidents. If you feel it shouldn’t be a 60 then tell them and it’ll change (possibly).
    Secondly, it’s the limit, not a target, if you judge it not to be safe at 60, then don’t drive at 60, in which case why is it an issue to you?

BoardinBob

When the roads, conditions and other traffic allow so, I will drive at whatever speed I feel comfortable and appropriate, and that is how I feel most safe.

You’re a halfwit.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I think it’s good people flash to make you slow down.

If they didn’t I’d get speeding points and eventually banned. Then I’d have to speed as well as driving whilst disqualified.

It’s a public service!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well without starting something big, let’s be honest – there is 0 consistency between speed limits and types of road.

So what?

There are often things you don’t know about.

There is a dual carriageway into Cardiff that is 50mph, but it looks like a normal dual carraiageway. No-one sticks to it, presumably because they don’t want to. You might not think it’s justified, but due to the way people merge at certain junctions there have been loads of accidents on it.

You might as well become a vigilante, and start claiming that some people just deserve to be beaten up.

The ridiculous thing about people getting so worked up about speed traps is that there is a really really simple incredibly easy way to make the problem disappear completely!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I see no issues warning people for speed traps because it achieves the same end – they slow down for a dangerous section. If they don’t slow down next time and there’s a cop there they’ll get booked, or in future they may slow down just in case there’s police there. All works the same way.

That said, i don’t usually do it because I can’t tell how fast people are going and I don’t want to flash them if they’re not speeding.

project
    Free Member

is a dual carriageway into Cardiff that is 50mph, but it looks like a normal dual carraiageway. No-one sticks to it, presumably because they don’t want to. You might not think it’s justified, but due to the way people merge at certain junctions there have been loads of accidents on it.

a55 at colwyn bay, 50 mph, and now 40 mph, due to a broken ship at the side of it,they had to reduce the speed limit due to poor driving of drivers joining and now the ship on the beach,people looking at it and causing accidents.

stumpy01

Speed limits are sometimes there for things like noise pollution. It’s not always safety/danger/death….

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ok, so you’re just told us how you noticed that some drivers brake suddenly when they see a speed trap or police vehicles

then you complain about other drivers warning you that you might well find cars braking suddenly ahead of you – so they’re warning you of a potential danger in the road ahead.

Which way do you want it?

hora
    Free Member

Theres a Camera van on Snake Pass. Why the **** do they need one there? Wouldnt a Police car OR just let Darwin preside?

MSP

Slow drivers are just as much a menace as speeders, bad driving is bad driving, but speeding on major thoroughfares is easy to police so is monitored and policed far out of relation to other behaviours.

Its great to see in Germany police speed traps actually in residential areas, you are as likely round here to get a ticket on the streets you live on as a motorway or a road.

ransos
    Free Member

Slow drivers are just as much a menace as speeders

KE=0.5mv^2

molgrips
    Free Member

Very rarely I come across someone on the motorway driving dangerously slowly. So I do not think that they are ‘as much’ of a menace.

Interesting that you mention Germany – the Autobahn is an absolute nightmare in some places. Imagine a busy motorway with everyone doing 80 and people trying to force their way through at 140.

project
    Free Member

Slower moving vehicles on amotorway or anyother road are required to display and have working yellow flashing beacons.

Also on a motorway oyu have another lane in which to overtake them on.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Interesting that you mention Germany – the Autobahn is an absolute nightmare in some places. Imagine a busy motorway with everyone doing 80 and people trying to force their way through at 140.

That’s pretty much how it works in the north of England, isn’t it? Certainly every time I’ve had to drive through preston area on the M6 all the slow 80mph folk get right in my way…

KE=0.5mv^2

Not quite that simple though is it, that just shows that in an impact with a solid object that’s at zero mph the impact energy will e higher for a faster car. If all cars were at similar speeds the likelyhood of impact is severely reduced as the number of lane changes and relative speeds (which humans are poor at judging) are reduced.

GrahamS

Slower moving vehicles on amotorway or anyother road are required to display and have working yellow flashing beacons.

Do CRC sell these for my bike?

D0NK

Some folk see it as a Gov. speed tax?

some people are idiots

but then again that answers most questions.

butcher

I can’t remember the last time I seen anything I considered dangerous or ‘menacing’ about the lack of anyone’s speed.

It’s only a menace to impatient drivers with so much negligence for their own responsibility that they need someone else to blame for it.

Houns

I speed as and when. I’d never warn another driver about speed cameras. If you get caught by one you’re obviously lacking in observation skills and deserve to be caught.

Poor observation, awareness and anticipation are far more dangerous than ‘speed’

D0NK

OR just let Darwin preside?

I know you’ve got a reputation for dumb comments hora but that’s taking the piss.

MSP

or Imagine a busy motorway with everyone doing 80 and people using lanes and moving out of the way to allow those who want to travel faster passed.

Anyway, the point I was making was that driving in residential areas is actually policed in Germany, where it isn’t in the UK unless you live in a village that an a road passes through.

konabunny
    Free Member

So, in summary, everyone is a terrible driver apart from the op, who is AWESOME?

loum
    Free Member

If all cars were at similar speeds the likelyhood of impact is severely reduced as the number of lane changes and relative speeds (which humans are poor at judging) are reduced.

What a good idea. 🙂
    Maybe the roads could be marked in some way to allow drivers to take advantage of this. Perhaps “signposts” informing drivers of the speed that the road can be driven at, if other conditions such as weather allow. The only problem – how to enforce it?

Peyote
    Free Member

Many motorists feel entitled to something they are not entitled to. They get stroppy when they don’t get what they want and the emotion means that any logical thought is thrown out of the pram together with ther toys.

The problem is that they were sold a lifestyle, a dream, a trophy that they have now failed to receive. Welcome to modern marketing…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I can’t remember the last time I seen anything I considered dangerous or ‘menacing’ about the lack of anyone’s speed.

It’s generally not just slow people, it’s slow people combined with people who are not observant = accident, if either one didn’t exist there wouldn’t be an issue.

D0NK

If all cars were at similar speeds the likelyhood of impact is severely reduced as the number of lane changes and relative speeds (which humans are poor at judging) are reduced.

or maybe fasten a load of cars together so they are all going the exact same speed and then only the guy at the front would have to drive and all the others could chill out, relax do a bit of reading/texting/whatever. Maybe have some regular stops where other people can get on/off, sell tickets so more passenger seats can be used.

nah never catch on.

D0NK

it’s slow people combined with people who are not observant = accident, if either one didn’t exist there wouldn’t be an issue.

yes but I know which one I’d rather get rid of and it aint the slow coaches

molgrips
    Free Member

or Imagine a busy motorway with everyone doing 80 and people using lanes and moving out of the way to allow those who want to travel faster passed

Hah. If you are one of the ones with a fast car wanting to drive at 140mph then you are fine. If you aren’t, it’s deadly. You’ve got two lanes, you are doing 80 and want to pass a lorry doing 56, so you pull out in advance but just as you do so some schweinehund in an AMG Merc comes hammering around the bend at 150… that’s not hairy at all, nooo… And it’s far from an isolated incident.

But anyway – yes, I would like to see far more speed cameras on all sorts of roads, residential and motorway. And I’d like to see them completely concealed. That way no-one would be able to brake suddenly because they wouldn’t see them, and we’d have no choice but to slow down overall for fear of being caught.

gwaelod
    Free Member

It’s not as if speeding is a real crime is it

[UPDATE] Speeding killer driver given lenient sentence; BBC reporter belittles death of the cyclist, says “[cyclists] don’t pay road tax”

Put a lit rag on a furniture shop sofa: 11 years in jail. Change your Facebook status to “let’s start a riot”: four months in jail. Kill a cyclist with a truck, admit to speeding and dangerous driving: suspended sentence and a two year driving ban. It’s against this background that we should view last night’s ignorant and insensitive question by a BBC reporter, interviewing the organiser of the time trial event at which 47-year old Karl Austin lost his life.

druidh
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    I see no issues warning people for speed traps because it achieves the same end – they slow down for a dangerous section. If they don’t slow down next time and there’s a cop there they’ll get booked, or in future they may slow down just in case there’s police there. All works the same way.

Exactly. Speed trapped/roads areas have signs up sayings so. The media (papers and local radio) will even report on where temporary speed traps are to be set up. I can’t see much difference between that and flashing lights at oncoming drivers.

Of course, flashing lights at speeding motorists even when there is no speed trap ahead would be completely wrong and I would not condone that at all.

Nope.

No way.

D0NK

🙄 altho i don’t think rolling eyes quite covers what I think of gwaelods link
    quentin raynor is a tool as is that judge

GrahamS

I would like to see far more speed cameras on all sorts of roads, residential and motorway

Yep. Average speed cameras everywhere. And more in-car black boxes.

jordie
    Free Member

the speed should be on a big sticker on the back of the camera for those that don`t know what the speed is supposed to be.

GrahamS

In case they missed the sign?

ransos
    Free Member

Not quite that simple though is it, that just shows that in an impact with a solid object that’s at zero mph the impact energy will e higher for a faster car. If all cars were at similar speeds the likelyhood of impact is severely reduced as the number of lane changes and relative speeds (which humans are poor at judging) are reduced.

Yes, it is that simple. I see very few cars driving significantly below the speed limit, which tells me that the complainants are driving far too fast. They are the ones causing the problem.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 269 total)

The topic ‘POLICE, ANPR,and speed checks, whats the problem,with some motorists’ is closed to new replies.