Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • polarized oakley black flak jacket????
  • BillMC

Looking at getting a pair of these but is the black lens too dark for cycling in the woods?

Poggy
    Free Member

Black looks fab, but i'd get G30's if i were you, i have persimon, G30 & Black… For anything shaded go for G30's, they give a great depth of perception, you'll love em!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

yes they are a bit dark for woods. + red iridium is lighter than the black plus a 2nd vote for g30

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

3rd for the g30. I have a polarized lens, it's great for snow or water but not much good for bike riding in.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I got bronze polarised. very good, not too dark. get the XLJ variant as they fit round the cheek nicely

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Gold iridium is good for covered conditions

matthewjb
    Free Member

I've got the Transitions ones for riding. Not as dark as the polarized ones which are probably a bit too dark for woods.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If one wears semi-transparent shades when it's semi-dark, members of the opposite sex can see one's pupils dilated and it makes one looks sexy.

FACT!

willej

I've got bronze polarized too. I have had VR28, gold and red iridium in the past and reckon the bronze lens is the best all rounder of the four.

Blazin-saddles, why do you think polarised is "not much good for bike riding"?

BillMC

So the message seems to be get polarized black for Australian beaches etc and bronze or G30 replacement lenses for riding in the woods. Are the lenses easily changed? Any reasons for not polarized? I know sfa about this so all informed advice is incredibly useful given the high cost of buying the wrong stuff.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I found the Polarized gave a very strange effect under cover, trees, tunnels etc. didn't like it at all. stops glare well Ie off water or snow but personally I didn't like them for general riding.

Poggy
    Free Member

Easily changed, just be careful not to gouge nose area of frame when fitting lens…

If you've a local oakley shop, it's a good idea to get them to demonstrate lens & ear sock changing on a pair of demo glasses.

Once you've changed them a couple of times you'll find it easy!

molgrips
    Free Member

I found polarized lenses did indeed give a strange effect on my non-biking oakley shades. However, when these got pinched, I got some non-polarized with a similar transmission, and everything was a bit flat. When these ones got lost on my behalf by a hotel, they could only be replaced with the same lenses I had originally, and they were a lot better for contrast. Everything had more depth. So despite the weird reflection effects I still think it's good.

DISCLAIMER – I never rode in them.

willej

strange effect

Everyone's different I suppose. I'd wear mine all the time if I could.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I found the Polarized gave a very strange effect under cover, trees, tunnels etc"

Yes everything different for sure, almost matt looking I think because it's filtering out much of the natural back-scatter of reflections. The world looks like a poster or even a highly accurately drawn scene. Personally I think it cleans the picture up great.

Bronze filters a lot of blue – greens looker greener and browns look browner which "posterizes" the woods even more.

molgrips
    Free Member

The strange effects I am talking about seem to be when one eye ends up blocking the reflections of a puddle say and the other eye doesn't. The reflection looks really weird. Likewise glass etc.

highclimber
    Free Member

Go for the VR28 lenses, you don't need Polarised – an unecessary expense IMO. I Have the Gold Iridium Whiskers and I find the too dark for areas like Delamere and other well covered tracks. The VR28 is a lovely colour and its practical too as it does well to cover a large range of uses.

molgrips
    Free Member

Should be pointed out that I only have polarised lenses on casual shades that get used for driving and walking about. They're actualy a tad less dark in terms of total absorption than they otherwise would be due to glare being cut out. My biking lenses are all transitions – much better option.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘polarized oakley black flak jacket????’ is closed to new replies.