Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pneumonia Experiences?
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Spent the night in hospital on Friday, or should I say to be more accurate, on a hospital trolley in a corridor!

Went the the local emergency room as I had woken with chest pains, and was then admitted with Pneumonia! To be fair, I had probably held on too long after being more than a bit chesty after a bout of the flu about 2 weeks ago. But I had been to the doc's that morning and just sent home with some antibiotics.

So I'm back home now with instructions to take it easy and to go back in 10 days for another chest x-ray.

Anyone else suffered this recently? How long before your were taking light exercise again?

Cheers!

votchy
    Free Member

Had pneumonia about 6 years ago, couldn't exercise for about 6 weeks, took 3 weeks before climbing the stairs didn't require a rest half way up. If it's an option, get yourself somewhere hot, 2 weeks lying in the sun worked wonders for me (pneumonia diagnosis coincided with pre booked holiday)

Potdog
    Free Member

Cheers Votchy, thankfully, the somewhere hot isn't a problem living in Tenerife. But the fact that I may not be able to work for a good few weeks is an issue 😥

david_r
    Free Member

2 weeks lying in the sun worked wonders for me

Years ago, I came back from a lads holiday in Ibiza with pneumonia 🙁

Remember being messed up for weeks afterwards.

Hohum
    Free Member

When I had pneumonia I was told to stay indoors for 6 weeks, it was mid-winter when I picked it up.

grynch
    Free Member

Potdog.. work?… what do you do? … if outside and strenuous work yes I don't think you should be.. don't think you'll be up to working for awhile.

otherwise..are you on still on antibio?… I'm no doc but you should be for at least 10days, plenty of rest, plenty of fluids and after that you should be up to some gentle rides.. no hard pounding and no riding up the side of volcanos for about a month I'd guess.

( and p.s.. I'm recovering from a bout of pneumonia now. )

grynch
    Free Member

ohhh… just seen you're email address on profile… you're lavatrax eh? … bummah.
    slow and gentle on the pedals for awhile.

Potdog
    Free Member

Yeah, riding is work (if you can call it that :lol:) but this really doesn't help the cash flow. I don't have to cancel rides, but it does mean that I have to pay someone else to do what I should be doing. It's been a tough couple of years with the recession and all that, so this is the icing on the cake really.

On the plus side, the doc today said that my lungs sound pretty clear, he was amazed how quickly they had cleared having seen the chest x-ray taken in the early hours of Saturday morning. So I'm hopeful, but still have another 8 days of antibiotics which are the size of horse tablets, that combined with tablets to loosen the phlegm and inhalers to open the airways to help me "get it off my chest" the bedside table is looking like a pharmacy right now.

Still, could be worse. It could be cold and wet I guess.

MoreCashThanDash

No direct experience, but our plumber came and ripped out the bathroom at the beginning of November, was diagnosed with pneumonia the next day and we didn't get the new bathroom properly installed until just before Christmas………

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pneumonia Experiences?’ is closed to new replies.