Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Please recommend me a 10 speed MTB chain – Very dull thread
  • GJP
    Free Member

Looking to buy a new 10 speed XT cassette with an alloy carrier so I can my Pro2 hubs, and will also need to buy a new chain.

So a few questions.

1/ Are there any other cassettes (say SLX?) I can used without screwing up my Hope freehub body?

2/ I am not sure if my legs are up to going to a road cassette, although I am using a triple so it may out work OK, Would an Ultegra 6600 be up to the job, as I have one lying around?

3/ Then the chain. I have always used either SRAM or KMC, giving up on Shimano because of the pins rather then the links, although I have used KMC links with Shimano chains I think. I am looking for a 10 speed non directional chain. Are Shimano chains directional these days and do they still use pins?

4/ Also looking at KMC chain they now come in super size 112 links would I need one of these when using a 11-36 cassette or would a standard chain suffice.

5/ Any recommendations.

Thx
    Gary

footflaps

Shimano XTR 10sp is directional and uses pins, but I just use KMC quick links on them. I’ve always bought XTR/Dura Ace 9 speed chains and used quick links with them as well.

tang
    Free Member

wipperman connex here, reusable connecting link. Xt and slx on pro11 no worries.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

KMC X10

jimc101
    Free Member

KMC X10-L Gold

reggiegasket
    Free Member

KMC

GJP
    Free Member

OK so their is agreement that if I wish to stick with KMC then that is not a problem. Any ideas on whether I need a 112 link chain. I find it hard to imagine that a move from 11-34 to 11-36 requires a much longer chain? I must typically remove what 4 or 5 links on a standard chain for a 11-34 cassette?

Looks like and XT cassette is only £8 more expensive than an SLX one, so I can stick with that

nsaints
    Free Member

I spoke to hope, they told me I was ok with an SLX on a pro2. Just ensure it’s torqued up correctly. Suggestion was that to little torque results in the cogs twisting sllightly causing more damage. That said I’m running xt 😕

I run kmc, but have just studied this site, suggesting wipperman chains are more durable ?

Clicky

Need to take it with a pinch of salt, as it appears to be sponsored by wipperman. Still quite interesting though, if you like this type of geekery 😛

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Please recommend me a 10 speed MTB chain – Very dull thread’ is closed to new replies.