Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Please Help My Feet
  • monksie
    Free Member

I need some shoes that don’t hurt.
    In my endless quest for comfy shoes, I (like a complete cheapskate) opted for Loius Gaerne shoes, carbon sole instead of Sidi’s and they’re worse than my Specialized sports which were as bad as my Mavic’s which were on a par with my poor fitting Diadora….
    My feet hurt, to the point I can’s stand up in bare feet when I take them off after cycling on the sole from in front of the heel bone to behind the ball of my feet. If that makes sense? The soft bit.
    Eggbeater pedals. Stiff soles. Shoes fastened up tight or loose. Road and mountain bike. I’ve never had completely comfy shoes but the latest £100 pair are killing me and I have loads of miles of training to get in!
    Please help.

crikey
    Free Member

How big are your feet?

clubber
    Free Member

I get the same thing in shoes that don’t suit me – the middle of my foot is very wide.

It’s just trial and error – I’ve found that Shimano and Specialized suit me so long as they’re big enough – maybe even slightly too big (in terms of length).

Shimano do a wide fit in some models (though I haven’t actually tried it).

Also, try taking out the insole and replacing with a thinner one or even removing it completely. That’s certainly worked for me in the past.

diablocableguy

I’ve found Shimano MT43s very comfortable, although they aren’t very stiff, being designed with touring in mind.

MrTall
    Free Member

My LBS had a set of Bontrager mouldable shoe inserts i was looking at the other day.

Apparently you shove them in the microwave/oven to soften them up and then they should mould to the contours of your foot.

Might be worth a go rather than new shoes? They were £19.99 for two sets (different densities).

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Does it hurt first thing in th emorning when you get ou tof bed?

trail_rat
    Free Member

lake do several wide fit shoes

shimano do the foot mould thing also – ive had great success with this – my race shoes are SOOOO comfy…

HermanShake
    Free Member

They may not be the look you’re after, but I’ve found my 5ten freeriders to be very comfy. Maybe look at the 5ten SPD shoes?

Then again your pain sounds arch related, maybe get down to a podiatrist and get some custom insoles/supports sorted out?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Then again your pain sounds arch related, maybe get down to a podiatrist and get some custom insoles/supports sorted out?

This ^
    My feet used to ache, in the same place, only when cycling though, anything above a 45 min ride brought it on.

So, are shoes correct fit to begin with? FWIW i’m a flpper footed size 8.5, my Spesh BG are the best fit I found..
    If so look at either the likes or Superfeet or Sole brand inserts, off the shelf at any good outdoor store @ around £40 a pair – that probably made you wince a bit but I stopped wincing (in pain) after the first ride with Superfeet (the black ones – they are for lower volume footwear) never leave home without ’em now.

IHN

+1

Make an appointment, take all the shoes you have and let them decide which is the best approximate fit and provide an appropriate insole to get it spot on. Will probably cost less than a new pair of shoes…

woody2000

Egg beaters?! What about trying a pedal/shoe with a larger cleat interface for a bit more support?

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Size 9 feet. I’m a boring Mr Average in all my dimensions. I’m not aware my feet are either narrow or wide. How can you tell?
    “My feet used to ache, in the same place, only when cycling though, anything above a 45 min ride brought it on.” Boom! That’s me! No pain at any other time or in any other shoes.
    Arch issues then?
    I’ll have a look at the Bontrager and superfeet etc inserts. I’ll think about going to see somebody about my feet as IHN has suggested and plead with the Director of Household Finance for some money to pay for it if it comes to it.
    I’m heartened that I’m not the only person to suffer with this although that’s mean of me. Sorry Marsdenman.
    Thanks again. You are all still mint.
    For some (snobby) reason, I can’t bring myself to try touring or trainer shoes, especially on my road bike.
    I’m going to get some road pedals and shoes. I’m using eggbeater and mountain bike shoes on all my bikes because I have to carry my bike up 8 flight of stairs most days at work. I’d break myself doing it with road cleats.
    ps. big ride is getting closer.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.lakecycling.com/footwear.html . Measure your feet and then click on the link to the size chart. This will give you an indication of your foot width.

I suffered for years with tight shoes and thought that it was normal. However, I’ve discovered that the lasts of many cycling shoes are moulded on average Italian feet – which are apparently not as wide as those of Anglo-Saxon-Celtic slabs of meat. The same is true for walking boots. I’ve have wide boots from Altberg for work.

I now wear SIDI mega shoes which are wide – Very comfortable.

EDIT: Look for the MX236 model MTB shoe and follow the link at the bottom of the page for the size guide and chart.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Please Help My Feet’ is closed to new replies.