Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Please explain to me the obvious…………………
  • chainslapp
    Free Member

as I am losing my patience.
    I have a Cane Creek S2 headset fitted to a frame with On One carbon forks. This works perfectly with no issues at all.
    Why then when I fit any other fork, the head set binds and there is no way to adjust the bearing tension to relieve the friction? I have checked all the components are fitted the right way and that there are none missing.
    When I put the carbon forks back in, they are perfect and if you over tighten the bearing tension, they will not bind.

Any helpful comments appreciated.

geoffj

The other fork steerer is slightly thicker.

sharki
    Free Member

crown race missing on new forks?

Colin-T

Without wanting to be patronising…..

You are swapping the crown race too?

STATO
    Free Member

you swapped the headset race over didnt you? (the metal bit on the fork)

PJay
    Free Member

The only time I’ve ever had a fork bind the minute I tried to apply any preload it turned out that the headtube needed facing (which solved it). It doesn’t explain why the On-Ones work though.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Yes folks, I am removing and replacing the crown race.
    PJay, I agree that the facing option would sound feasible if the On One carbons were the same, however would the steerer tube being a slightly bigger OD have a bearing? Sorry for the pun. 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

How many other forks doesn’t it work with?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Three other pairs, all Rock Shox suspension forks, not that this should make a difference.

sharki
    Free Member

Is there no middle ground with the preload?

ie, play in HS then binding, there’s a minimal chance your SFN in the on ones are slipping in the steerer, back off the HS preload a touch when fitting the RS forks,.

chainslapp
    Free Member

The pre-load is either off or binding I’m afraid. I’m thinking more along the lines of a head tube facing. Its a second hand On One Ti 29er which had a CK fitted originally so thought this was not necessary. I may remove the head set and check for burrs which I am sure I did before fitting. 😥

ziggy
    Free Member

I had similar with Magura forks and a Diatech headset, the lower cup on the headset was dragging against the steerer. If I backed off the preload the headset would be loose. Nothing a dremel couldn’t sort out (the headset, not the forks). Was only cheap so wouldn’t recommend that for the Cane Creek, beginning to see this more and more in the workshop lately, not sure why though.

chainslapp
    Free Member

That would explain it. If the On One forks steerer tube is smaller in diameter, then it would clear the cup which is sitting misaligned in the frame.
    Is it normal to face a Ti head tube?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Please explain to me the obvious…………………’ is closed to new replies.