Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Please bear with me. Attempting to upload photos of my new ti-456 evo
  • loughor
    Free Member
    mangatank
    Free Member

I see them. Stunning, bling build!

loughor
    Free Member

thank you, i’m of that age where it may be my last bike purchase. First impressions ? Bloody fast. Dunno if that is new frame or first bash at 2×10

messiah
    Free Member

Wowser…

Looks fast just sitting there 8)

br
    Free Member

Looks good.

Is it a small?

loughor
    Free Member

br, yes 16″…. oh here goes, rev forks, xtr everything, easton haven carbon bar, mavic slr wheels, hope clamp and stem, peaty grips… Cost a bit, but as i said, i’m lucky.

mangatank
    Free Member

I took my build out yesterday for its first proper XC ride. The route was a mix of tarmac flat and steep climb, fire road, steep gravel climb and very steep descent and then technical single track. The ride was really a gear indexing test as this wasn’t the final build (I’m waiting for the 140mm forks to arrive), so the journey was taken on an ageing pair of 100mm Marzocchi MX Pro SL forks.

On the road, I was surprised by the stiffness of the frame. There is a steel-like spring, but power from the cranks seems to go straight to the road. The power transfer felt more direct than my CF road bike in fact! Didn’t expect that.

On the (snow covered) fire road, the bike had a sharp, accurate feel. It tracked very precisely and followed any chosen line directly. Small bump absorption was not on the same level as a springy steel frame, but this is a more substantial ti frame so that’s in line with expectations. Sending the bike into potholes at speed underlined that accurate, direct feeling and bump absorption in these circumstances was excellent. The bike had more of the confidence of a full susser than a light aluminium or XC carbon frame.

The very steep gravel climb was the big surprise of the ride. I’ve been off bikes for over a year so I expected to bonk within 20 ft of the assent, but the bike wafted up with minimal effort. Loads of power was transferring to the surface. So much so that the Conti Mountain Kings were spinning out slightly on the gravel! The bike’s climbing line was as straight as a ruler. That was pretty amazing, and it was fast too.

The top of the climb became fast, tight, singletrack. The ride was as nimble as any XC bike I’ve used, with the benefit of that direct power feeling from the frame. Right now I’m running a 90mm stem but I found the handling to be very sharp through the tight sweeps.

The descent was a straight dive that steepened into a real plummet! The surface is pure XC with some larger loose rocks adding interest. I set the forks to their softest setting and fired the bike downhill. Again, the accurate, direct nature of the frame came to the fore. The bike went exactly where I wanted it to go. Frame compliance felt good and the general feeling was one of stability and confidence. The descent ends with a cheeky s-bend that can catch out the unwary or too-fast. The Bike danced through this without drama.

The final section was along drove roads, moorland and boggy fields. I expected this to be fairly easy, but because of sheep-churned, semi-frozen ground, it turned out to be very heavy going. I had a few near spills as I hit firm looking churned mud at speed only to find it had frozen into a grassy rock garden. Locked forks didn’t help and while I was jostled about, the bike held its line and kept going. On other section, that rigid frame had me taking very unusual lines along the sides of steep bankings. Again, the stability and power efficiency of the frame helped.

This was a purely XC test for the bike build. The ti frame was certainly different in character from any other frame I’ve used before, and exhibited excellent climbing, singletrack and downhill characteristics. It didn’t have the goat-like spring of a high-end steel frame, but that’s not what this bike is aiming to be. What did surprise me was that despite the frame being optimised around 130mm forks, it turned out to be the most effective 100mm forked XC frame I’ve ridden to date.

Back in 2008 the original frame got rave reviews. On-one and Brant have quite a few Ti frame designs under their belt now, but the review link below chimes very closely with my riding experience so far.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/frames/mountain/product/review-on-one-lynskey-ti-456-08–31339

patriotpro
    Free Member

Oh my, that is very nice indeed. Black and Ti’grey just works.

loughor
    Free Member

mangatank and PP,
    excellent summaries. I am amazed at the bike. Had lots of bikes, never a ti frame, and never xtr flush. What have i missed through all the years ? Nevertheless, I am very, VERY happy

mangatank
    Free Member

Fitted the frame with a pair of 140mm X-Fusion velvets this evening. The frame definitely likes to be set to the 5 in the 456. Rides beautifully like this.

The forks themselves are mostly excellent. The travel, rebound and lockout actions are very pleasantly mechanical: smooth and clicky. Taking the forks for a test spin around the local street, the plushness of the travel when hitting square edges at speed was pretty amazing; an almost seamless transition from one surface to the other! The 110mm setting also gave the same plush travel. The lock-out is very rigid. That’s fairly unusual and very welcome.

The downside is that then pressure is removed from the fork, (when dismounting the frame for example), there’s a knock from the left leg. That’s the first time I’ve had a fork do that and I suspect it doesn’t boad well for this pair. No knocking issues when on the bike however.

Looks like a couple of phone calls tomorrow.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks for all the above – got me very excited too as I’m just building up a Lynskey Ti456 frame that’ll be getting a run out at the weekend (or sooner if I can swing it!)

I’ve gone for 150mm SoloAir Sektors, but think they may need a shorten to 140mm as I’m going from a 120mm full suss and they look very looooong to me at the moment.

It’s got a 2×10 XTR / XT / SLX mix with SRAM carbon cranks. Haven bars, 80mm stem, Pro 11 / 719 wheels with some Cedric Gracia 2.35 tyres that I hope will help with the reduction in travel on the back…

Not quite as bling as your (very lovely) build, loughor, but should hopefully cut the mustard and convince me I’ve done the right thing chopping a short travel hardtail and full suss in for something I’ve always wanted…

Janesy
    Free Member

I don’t understand, It looks lush and im quite envious. BUT all that bling on an on-one? doesn’t make sense…

br
    Free Member

They’re good aren’t they 🙂

And I’ve found 140mm is ideal.

I don’t understand, It looks lush and im quite envious. BUT all hat bling on an on-one? doesn’t make sense…

Yep you are correct. Mine is only running full XTR, Hope SP/Stans, Easton, Middleburn 😉

stevied
    Free Member

That looks lovely…

loughor
    Free Member

Thank You all for the nice comments (and not a jibe at my patio ?!). The forks are dual position, 140 and 160, for most riding I’ve done on it thus far (3 rides only), 140 feels spot on. To br, yes, I agree, they are very very good (but then, having blown a sizeable chunk I have to say that !)

giantx4
    Free Member

Nice youve kept feet on ground with the obligatory spoon!… Nice!!..(ti i assume?) 🙂

loughor
    Free Member

Not YET !

wrecker
    Free Member

Anyone got a pic of a large?
    Ta.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Liking that a lot, looks a blast.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Looks nice in the smaller size.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My Large (20″) 456ti (Lynskey)

wrecker
    Free Member

Any 18″ evos out there?

br
    Free Member

Anyone got a pic of a large?

Mine further up was a 20″.

wrecker
    Free Member

Sorry br, I was looking for an Evo. Looking at the geo a 18″ should suit me.

mangatank
    Free Member

Sizing is spot on for these. I’m 5’8″ and the 16 fits like a glove. The On One sizing chart seems to be very accurate in it’s advice.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Ok – here’s mine (at last).

Just don’t say a word about the patio or hose lengths. At least the valves / logos are lined up.

Lynskey frame with stealth graphics (matte clear, if you look *very* closely), new Sektor SoloAir 150mm. The rest is used: SRAM carbon double cranks, Hope Pro2 on 719 with Panaracer CG 2.25 tyres, Haven bars, carbon post, XT / XTR / SLX mix on the rest. Nothing too fancy, but hoping its the bike that I was looking for… replacing the short travel hard tail and full suss. Time will tell, but I loved my steel 456.

messiah
    Free Member

Not an EVO gonetothehills 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

What was the difference between the 456 and the Inbred?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

messiah – Member
    Not an EVO gonetothehills

Correct! 🙂 There’s only the OP’s so far… My vague plan is to see how I get on with this one (it was on my ‘want’ list from a few years ago anyway) and if I’m happy, I’ll invest in an Evo.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Please bear with me. Attempting to upload photos of my new ti-456 evo’ is closed to new replies.