Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plastic Bike trailer?
  • meehaja
    Free Member

If I were t try to make a bike trailer from plastic pipe, what sort of pipe would be best?

As a non welder, with limited mechanical skills, I wondered about building a trailer from say, plastic plumbing pipe, having the advantage of L shaped joints for corners and T joints to strut it for strength. Granted, its not going to be as strong as a metal one, and probably not much lighter, but its something for me to work on in my forthcoming man cave/basement….

midlifecrashes

There might be some inspiration on Indestructibles.com

linky

meehaja
    Free Member

Ha! Thats where I came from! I just figured plastic would be easier to work with than metal pipe!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

google bamboo bike trailer

markenduro
    Free Member

A plastic trailer might be ok for carrying your sandwiches (unless you eat a lot)…
    Probably a better idea to build it out of metal (aluminium extrusions) and bolt together.

meehaja
    Free Member

surely a strutted rectangle of 1 inch pvc pipe would be pretty strong? and bend rather than break would be better for me i feel?

midlifecrashes

Given the cost of bits, I’d just be scavenging bits from skips until I had enough 32mm waste pipe and joints, but wouldn’t want to use it for load bearing in anthing more than about 500mm lengths. I like the idea of just attaching wheels to a big trunk or barrel and working up from there. We used to have a hard based kid trailer and it was more than adequate for the big weekly shop(without the kids in).

meehaja
    Free Member

That was my next idea, a bit less aesthetically pleasing, but a bread crate with wheels attached would be easier!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Plastic Bike trailer?’ is closed to new replies.