Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra for £1k – Anything better value?
  • snownrock

I have decided to upgrade my roadbike (2012 Defy 2) and have been waiting for PX to start doing Shimano builds again, which they now are.

My current preference is the Ultegra 6800 Pro Carbon Linky

It ticks most of my boxes, around 8kg, Shimano Ultegra drivetrain, non C&C hub wheels. I know the Pro Carbon frame is getting a little old now but it still seems to be a good bike bang for buck wise.

Is there anything else I have overlooked that offers a similar spec for £1k?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

An ultegra groupset for your Defy? You could upgrade everything to that sort of level for £1k.

The PX is a 10 year old design that wasn’t the best back then. Spend the money on either a nice frame you can upgrade over time or upgrade what you have. It’s cheaper in the long run, just ask Hora about his PX!

woodster

Over budget, but Ksyrium Elites, top-spec Syntace kit and 7kg is pretty mad for the money

Radon

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’d advise reading the London Road thread on here before putting yourself at the mercy of Planet X’s quality control and customer relations.

snownrock

That Radon is an interesting shout, not that much over budget. That’s a heck of a weight for an alloy frame too. Would just be a gamble on the sizing though, at least with the PX I could pop to Sheffield and try one on.

I’m aware of all the negative comments regarding PX/On-One but this wouldn’t be the first bike I have had from them and I have never had a problem before.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well impressed with the Specialized Allez Comp discounted to £960. 1.35kg frame and £450gm fork, rides really well.

I’d have bought one if there was any stock left at SBC 🙁

dragon
    Free Member

As said above just upgrade the Defy to a new groupset, wheels and if budget allows anything else.

The PX is a 10 year old design that wasn’t the best back then.

+1

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Just for balance, I’ve had a Pro carbon for a good few years now and I’m still happy with it. The design might not have been the best back then but it undercut the competition by a country mile, I cannot recall any other carbon frame at the time for the same price point. I’ve ridden a few ‘better’ bikes since then and for sure you get upgraditis now and again but not enough to have me buying anything else. Admittedly with the advent of discs, aero frames, larger clearances for 25mm+ tyres that may change sooner rather than later.

mav12
    Free Member

merlin had some road bikes on offer not sure what the spec was but they were about £850

mav12
    Free Member

dolan are doing one for a grand as well

natrix
    Free Member

[/quote]just ask Hora about his PX!

But Hora thinks that bikes get ridden too fast on the road, see:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sorry-i-didnt-see-you-youre-not-a-car

He was obviously frustrated that his Pro Carbon just went too fast!! :mrgreen:

woodnut
    Free Member

I’ve had a pro carbon for a good while now and i won’t be rushing to change it. It’s a 10 year old design, yeah. Means it has external bottom bracket rather than stupid press fit, external cabling instead of nice-to-look-at-but-painful-to-renew internal and a none tapered headtube which, I must say, has never seemed a big deal, especially on a roadbike. I know a good few serious roadies who happily ride pro carbons as 2nd best bikes as well. Having said that, if i was spending a grand now on a roadbike I’d be tempted by Radon or Rose.

snownrock

merlin had some road bikes on offer not sure what the spec was but they were about £850

Yeah I saw the Sensa ones over the weekend, the £850 one looked interesting, colours are a bit lairy for me though. Must admit I like the look of the Radon one above, £450 wheels on a £1100 bike with Ultegra, mad!

hora
    Free Member

I thought my Ultegra Pro carbon was ‘good value’

The heart of a good bike is F&F and wheelset.

The PlanetX is none of these (I took out the rude words)

cookeaa

My only concern would be the FSA Wheelset.
    ~200g weight saving over an Ultegra wheelset, just not sure I’d trust it to stay true/in one piece in the longer term…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra for £1k – Anything better value?’ is closed to new replies.