Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Plane spotting in Wales . . . .
  • SST
    Free Member

I’ve got to drive through Wales at some point in 2 weeks or so. I’d love to see some low level jets training (seen it once before) but what are the chances and which area?

cheers

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Weekends virtually nil, weekends you can check with the RAF because they post details…do a search for LowFLy or something like that, a Forum dedicated to the UKs Low Fly Zones.

SST
    Free Member

I’ll check those sites out. Would be great to catch something.

thanks guys 🙂

crazy-legs

Best bet is The Mach Loop: http://www.lowflymedia.com/info/mach_loop/mach_loop.shtml

This picture made the papers a couple of years ago, taken on that low flying loop – usual Daily Wail comments about how highly paid pilots shouldn’t be messing around:

timber

Just above where I’m working normally.
    Nightmare trying to fell trees with chinooks hovering over you.
    Saw a Lynx swerve around a tree last week.
    Boys on the hill get buzzed on the ridges and hill saddles by jets fairly frequently too.

Central Brecon Beacons.

SST
    Free Member

Just checked the time tables and, weather permitting, they fly every weekday.

If any one has GPS co-ordinates or an idea of what constitues “central Wales” I’d be very grateful.

Incidentally, is anyone going to Duxford on 27th May for the Jubilee Airshow?

crazy-legs

SST: just south of Dolgellau – see the link on my post ^^

SST
    Free Member

Excellent CL – thanks!

sugdenr
    Free Member

I was in Pembry last summer and they appear to be doing Eurofighter training off the coast there

Ambrose

“I was in Pembry last summer and they appear to be doing Eurofighter training off the coast there”

Tell me about it! I work about a mile from Pembrey and the jets can be a tad noisy when I’m trying to envigilate exams.

Cougar

Mostly unhelpful I know, but.

I was driving to work this morning and whilst waiting at the lights heard what sounded like a very low helicopter over the noise of my engine and radio.

Looked up to see an Apache giving it beans overhead. Not the sort of thing you tend to see very often in the outskirts of Burnley.

benw
    Free Member

On its way to Stoops estate to shoot some low-lifes with a bit of luck, as long as it doesn’t land it will be alright or it will get weighed in fer **** scraap

BigJohn

It’s always fun windsurfing on Lake Bala midweek. A blast of afterburner in your sail can lead to unpredictable results. Those A10s like to do a bit of tight maneuvering as well.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s very common to see military helicopters over Burnley. I believe the Government is actually observing the town as a massive long-term experiment on the effects of inbreeding on the level of intelligence of the population, Burnley having the highest level of incestuous childbirth in the UK.

skiboy
    Free Member

mach loop vids, bit geeky

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYTREB9Unm4&feature=related[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHQ4zOnPL0&feature=related[/video]

SST
    Free Member

nice vids. I’ve seen similar before.
    That’s the sort of thing I’d like to see 🙂

ramsey
    Free Member

If you want specific details on where to go then let me know. As they say on TV, here’s one I prepared earlier……

Ian

highclimber
    Free Member

They fly through Ogwen Valley in Gwynedd quite often during the week!

Cougar

It’s very common to see military helicopters over Burnley.

I was hoping they were going to carpet-bomb the place, but no such luck.

(note to lawyers with no common sense: this is a joke)

Gary_C

I was driving over the Grane Rd towards Haslingden at 9:30ish yesterday morning & 2 Apaches were flying southwards down the Rossendale Valley.

pacemaker
    Free Member

A friend of mine spends a lot of time taking photo’s on the Loop .

Have a look at his Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurie-hughes/

sugdenr
    Free Member

digressing…mate of my ex-boss sued the MoD few years back because harriers used his stately home in nortampton as a visual marker for turning onto final approach – upto 70 times a day apparently.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got to drive through Wales at some point in 2 weeks or so. I’d love to see some low level jets training (seen it once before) but what are the chances and which area?

Just remember that Welsh people don’t call them aeroplanes.

greeble
    Free Member

saw 3 spitfires fly over my house 2 weeks ago

franki
    Free Member

I remember wnen I was a lad, I was at Nant Yr Arian walking with my folks and a jet fighter came up the valley and over our heads that fast and low we threw ourselves on the floor before we knew what was happening! Scared the crap out of us!

anjs
    Free Member

Current limit on low flying in LFA7 at the mo due to the Ospreys nesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-17699855

Ambrose

@thegreatape.

Thanks for that. It really amused me. I’d love to see one of those above my garden here in Garnant. All I seem to get is peregrines and kites. Plus the very occasional bit of RAF activity, far less than I get at work.

kcr
    Free Member

Growing up in the south of Scotland, low flying jets were pretty commonplace, and more of a nuisance than anything else. Never thought about people actually seeking them out!
    In a similar vein to the post above about suing the MOD, the mother of one of my friends at school successfully claimed compensation because the jets were putting her stud goat off the job.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ogwen is fun. Sitting on the north ridge of Tryfan when Hercs go by underneath you is brilliant.
    A lot go up the lower Wye valley below the ridge line. The temptation when having a 12 bore in your hand is amazing! 😆

stgeorge

The temptation when having a 12 bore in your hand is amazing

You some sort of violent fantasist? 😀

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Plane spotting in Wales . . . .’ is closed to new replies.