Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pirbright/Deepcut
  • captaindanger

Strava heatmap seems to suggest a lot of activity round this area. I have raced a Gorrick event there before.

Web search comes up with a thread saying you aren’t supposed to ride there (at least off main trails).

So, what’s it like, are you allowed on it and will I be able to find trails by riding round randomly? Thinking of going on Sunday.
    Thanks!

gren
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. Just be polite if you come across any squaddies and head off in the other direction. They are usually only in groups of around 20-30 so can be easily avoided.

Strava is a good way of finding any trails. None are marked, you’ve just got to look for the entrances off the fireroads.

Been a bit wet lately – Tunnel hill (south of the canal) usually holds up better in these conditions.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah yes.. I think there may be a byelaw but it’s vaguely worded. It says something like you can’t ride unless it’s on established main trails but it’s not clear what they are.

It’s arguable either way. But given the number of bikers who ride there you really have nothing to worry about. The blokes pointing guns at you are just for show, honest 😉

david47
    Free Member

We meet squaddies about 1 ride in 6 ? never had a problem with them yet…
    its a great place to ride… 🙂 But it took me about a year to find all the trails. And that assumes I have found them all…

molgrips
    Free Member

Almost shat myself once coming round a corner to find myself staring down the barrel of a gun. He didn’t shoot.

gren
    Free Member

Almost shat myself once coming round a corner to find myself staring down the barrel of a gun. He didn’t shoot.

Yep. Done that. Belting along ‘Banana Split’, half way along the trail I slammed the anchors on and came to a halt about 2 metres from a shoulder deep foxhole with 2 squaddies in it.

Mumbled apologies, turned around and buggered off.

Cheating gits use this camouflage stuff so you sometimes can’t see them until up close.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Commuting home from Camberley to Farnborough though Hawley woods one night, trucking along following the small white round glow from my old Cateye Opticube (this was a few years ago)and a squaddie jumped out in front of me waving his arms about and shouting, as I stopped I could just make out the shadow of a bloody great big tank taking up the whole fire road right in front of me. I would never have seen it and stopped in time. Gawd blessem.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Riding P-45 Shortcut ‘tripped’ a tripwire, unfortunately there’s a split second delay while the flashy/bangy/flarey/thing gets going, just long enough for me to be right on top of it when it went off!

Find the THT forum, they do evening rides in the area.

david47
    Free Member

I stopped I could just make out the shadow of a bloody great big tank taking up the whole fire road right in front of me. I would never have seen it and stopped in time.

Its alright, you would not have damaged it…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pirbright/Deepcut’ is closed to new replies.