Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Pins/needles in hands. Bike setup/analysis advice please
  • andyxxx
    Free Member

I regularly get pins and needles and a numb feeling in my hands while cycling.
    Somebody has suggested changing the grips – is this correct? And if so what to?

Should I be looking at anything else – like raising the handle bars or moving the seat forward or backwards? (I feel fairly comfortable while riding)

Failing that – Is there anybody in the Sheffield area that specializes in cycle setup and riding position analysis?

aP
    Free Member

Don't hold on as tight.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I had a pins and needles issue and I found it was created by the thumb in my gloves being too short

So I cut the end off them

Sorted

mattp
    Free Member

i used to suffer from this riding motorbikes, in my case it was caused by the nerves in my neck being trapped for long periods – try riding with your head tilted further forward as if you were looking down next time it happens. if that cures it you need to sort out your riding posture..

colnagokid

I sometimes get this (both on and off road), and have tried loads of different grips, gloves etc. In my case, I put it down to poor circulation, as it seams to only to happen when Im trying hard, and not just pottering.

AlasdairMc

Mary bars solved it for me, but I reckon the initial cause was a stem too long. I only get it on one bike, my other one with risers and a shorter stem was fine.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I get it on my road bike, which I think has too long a stem, or my saddle too far back, I'm not sure which yet.

Philby

Could possibly be to do with nerves going from your neck to your hands as mattp suggests. I had similar, although only on one hand, and it combined with significant pain from time to time. Diagnosis was problem with nerve in neck / shoulder area – osteopathy and sports massage, plus plenty of stretching have eventually sorted it.

Ti29er
    Free Member

CARPAL TUNNEL
    I'm not saying it's this, but one possibility to be aware of.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mary bars or ergon grips helps me with painful hands.

You need to work out if it is from a nerve in your neck or its a localised condition in your hands tho.

andyxxx
    Free Member

Thanks for the input.
    I Could be holding on too tight.
    Don't think its the gloves cos it does it with them all, but will go for a ride without gloves to check (when it gets warmer)
    Will look at Mary bars (whatever they are) & ergon grips.
    Pretty sure its not a trapped nerve – the feeling goes away after a few mins if I shake my hands.

BigJohn

I used to get some numbness and white fingers after I changed to singlespeed and I put this down to the outside of my hand pressing on the hard end of my grips. I changed to Ergons and it all went away. If you adjust them right you have a lovely flat area to support your hand.

One warning with them: your hands get so relaxed, you end up not gripping at all, which is fine until that time you are going over ruts and your hand just slips off. Only happens once, though!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mary bars – puts your wrist in a much more relaxed angle so the nerves tendons and blood vessels are not under strain / compressed. You may be tempted by wicker baskets tho

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CARPAL TUNNEL
    I'm not saying it's this, but one possibility to be aware of.

I've had that. Had the op, got the scar to prove it. If it is that, grips, bars, whatever, won't work in the slightest.

Where does the numbness start? Does it happen at other times? (i.e. Not cycling) Is it worse in cold weather?

andyxxx
    Free Member

PeterPoddy

I only have this when biking!
    Starts on up hill grinds and is both hands – mainly fingers, but the whole hand gets the sensation.

Crell
    Free Member

Ergon GE1 grips seemed to do the trick for me as well

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I only have this when biking!

Probably not CT then! 🙂

andyxxx
    Free Member

Have bought some Ergon GP1 – will try them tomorrow

grantway
    Free Member

play with the angles of your brake levers and maybe thicker or smaller
    handle grips and look at the length of the handle bar stem
    Also see if rotating your bars may help.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

now this may offend 2010 bike fashion and the cool police may shoot me down in flames, but, and hear me out on this one, a nice set of old skool bull horn bar-ends allows you to change position every so often, therefore taking away the weight concentration on one area for a long period of time.

Awaits flaming and public ridicule.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Bar ends are what a man going uphill needs.
    And when it's a straight forward trail with not too much technicality; bar ends!
    Surely everyone uses them! ❗

If it's a HT or a SS, getting out the saddle needs bar ends. I need them on mine, but not on my FS which has quite different bars. The position of the hands on a flat bar on my 29ers is not at all comfortable, so bar ends make for a much more relaxed hand grip.

That would make a very simple, cost effective change if that was all it took!

Whyte1
    Free Member

Look up Andy Pruitt on youtube to make sure your bike fit's first before you go spending just incase it's that , but either way Ergon grips are fantastic

Dasha
    Free Member

I've got two sets of fairly new ergons, one with bar ends for sale if anyone is interested.

andyxxx
    Free Member

Ti29er
    Just been to lbs to exchange the ergon GP1 for Ergon GR2 (with the bar ends attached) Going to try them this afternoon!

teagirl
    Free Member

Had this problem with my hardtail, spouse treated me to FS and no problem since (3yrs). Instant solution for me.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Lets hope this is the quick and financially cheap fix we hope it is!
    As someone else mentioned, a shorter stem will have you at less than full stretch, perhaps relieving a nerve somewhere that's under pressure.

andyxxx
    Free Member

Just been out for 3 hours – without a problem, so it seems as if the ergon grips work for me.
    Many thanks everybody

_tom_
    Free Member

I have a similar problem but with my feet instead.. happens after about 15-20 minutes of riding. Shoes/socks aren't too tight. Any ideas?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Andy.
    Only girls ride with bar-ends! 😉

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I had this after trying new bar angles. If I have my bars rolled too far forward then I get numb hands. Roll the bars back a bit and it doesn't happen.

Whyte1
    Free Member

_tom_ are you using Crank Brother pedles and non carbon soled shoes by any chance

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Pins/needles in hands. Bike setup/analysis advice please’ is closed to new replies.