Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pike 454 coil advice/knowledge sought (im aware this has probally been done)
  • shanem
    Free Member

first decent fork really and Im after some knowledge.

Is the right leg supposed to move a couple a mm left and right on the maxle?

And I know there is a lot of stuff on different springs already, but none of it seems consistent really. It’s on a blur 4x and it will be suffering a lot of abuse, I weigh a bit under 80kg and initially the fork feels incredibly soft. Ive come from using a very old marzocchi dj pro, so am accustomed to a slighty harsher ride and would prefer to have some travel left for bigger hits, anyone have experience with firm and extra firm springs?

MarkN
    Free Member

I do not recall the legs moving on the maxle. I think the avail springs are soft, std, firm and x firm. How much under 80 kg are you. Do not forget that you ride with Camelbak etc so that will add to your weight. The right spring is fitted if when you sit on the bike you get about 25% sag. So when you sit on the bike you want the front to have compressed by about 25mm. If wound down you will be looking at 95mm travel. Make sure that this is when you sit on the bike and not when you bounce on to it.

It could be that there is a soft spring fitted and you need to move to std.

DrP

Don’t make the mistake of misunderstanding ‘sag’ with compression damping…

And there really shouldn’t be any movement on the maxle – make sure it’s “screwed in at the non-lever end” enough.

DrP

unklehomered
    Free Member

No, it shouldn’t move, its deff the fork and not shot bearings in the wheel? As above check the tension, does the lever require a reassuringly firm pressure to lock? Sounds like its not tight enough.

I weight 96kg and I use a normal spring on mine tbh. Best thing is to ride a bit and see how much travel you use.

shanem
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, about 76kg, but yeah if doing a over night ride or it could probally be about 80-82kg.

As for the sag, with compression fully open and at 140, it sags about 30mm in a standing position, so a little less when sitting. Just tested them on some stairs and only got 110mm travel when fully open.

They could be fine, im just not used to having such plushness.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Sounds like. Have you been able to tighten and fix the movement?

shanem
    Free Member

Definately isn’t the hub, can’t get the non lever side any tighter unless i get a tool on it, the actual lever isn’t overly hard to clamp down but isn’t loose either.

shanem
    Free Member

The rock shox manual says the right leg should float before locking the axle off, but doesn’t mention anything about after

hora
    Free Member

Is the right leg supposed to move a couple a mm left and right on the maxle?

Sure you aren’t describing knackered bushes?

shanem
    Free Member

There is a definite gap between the drop out and the quick release side of the maxle, and i can physically move the right leg from left to right on the axle, the wheel stays secure. Im pretty sure it’s not the bushing, i just got them as brand new old stock

DrP

After you fully screw the maxle in, when you ‘clamp’ the lever down it ‘splays’ the maxle into both dropouts, thus both legs should be clamped to the maxle.
    I.e. – yours isn’t working properly…
    Better get fixin’

DrP

shanem
    Free Member

Great, thanks for the information

hora
    Free Member

Definitely dont ride it yet- get a second pair of eyes on it.

Grease the maxle end – make sure it fully screws to the end and pressed hard until it does engage down. Seriously though- DONT ride it until someone else has had a look too.

mos

Yeah, this happened to me, strip the axle & gease all the bits.

shanem
    Free Member

Took it to the shop and yeah, basically turns out i didn’t really know how it was supposed to work, all good now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pike 454 coil advice/knowledge sought (im aware this has probally been done)’ is closed to new replies.