Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Photo editing software, which one?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m impressed.

I’d like to see the same images processed with defaults on Neatimage and DXO…

IainAhh
    Free Member

Depends what you mean by photo editing?

Photo manipulation, removing a shadow, replacing someones head .. photoshop has been the standard for many years. You don’t need the latest version anything cs is fine.

For grading photos, changing their colour, correcting exposure Lightroom is very good.

Although Lightroom is technically better and faster I have used photoshop for over 15 years I always end up going back to it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Crop from the full size original image (note this used only the default minimal NR):

Crop from an the same raw processed in Elements using “Auto” with no NR:

molgrips
    Free Member

Holy cow.

It’s a bit pricey tho but not out of the question… I wonder if Neatimage can be that good also.

(Gorgeous photo btw, absolutely love it.. top stuff. Is it just a guest snap? I assume no flash also…?)

seosamh77
    Free Member

default(auto profiling) again, needs a bit of tweaking compared to the nnr by the looks of it, still fairly decent.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks seosamh77. It’s good but not AS good 🙂 Did it pick up the correct camera to get the right noise profile?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Did it pick up the correct camera to get the right noise profile?

nah not picking up the correct profile, not got it installed on the machine, so it’s just taking a best guess.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tried the demo of neatimage, with my camera profile. Very impressive, all noise gone completely, but some detail also in some areas. I think you can use the photoshop integration to select parts of the image to smooth differently.. not sure tho. The user interface is absolutely sodding awful though which really puts me off.

5thElefant
    Free Member

What I often do is create layers for subject and background and use NR and sharpening selectively. I often use a gaussian blur on top of NR for the background as NR often leaves an orange peel effect (have a look at this thread to see what I mean).

molgrips
    Free Member

I tried sharpening that pic of Meg in the chapel at Goodrich castle, since it’s taken at 1600 ISO and is pretty grainy. Of course the light sections are grainy but the background is all textured stone where the grain just looks like the stone itself. Neatimage (on default) really blurred it out.

If you are interested and have time, I can send you the original raw tonight.. I think it’s challenging image actually as I think I want the background.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Photo editing software, which one?’ is closed to new replies.