Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Phones, moving from Android to Windows phone, or stick with Android…
  • lovewookie

Considering a change from my xperia Z3 (running marshmallow) for work. I like Android, it’s flexible and easy to use. I don’t like iphones, jus dont’ get on with them.

Tried out a windows 8 phone a while back and didn’t like that much either, just very inflexible, difficult to find files etc. However, as win10 for the pc has turned a corner (IMO) and we have O365/sharepoint running well at work I’m wondering if it’s worth considering a high end windows phone like the lumia 950, or should I really be sticking with android and go for an S7, Xperia Z5 or the LG G5?

anyone made the switch or have any stories about new windows phones to share?

ratherbeintobago

My dad and brother have Windows phones and seem very happy with them. *However* Microsoft seem to be putting a lot of time and effort into making apps for iOS and Android, and the WP market share (and resulting availability of third-party apps) is tiny…

Cougar

FWIW, I’m running the developer preview of W10 on my work phone. It’s fixed a bunch of annoyances I had with W8, but it’s not radically different. If you didn’t get on with a W8 mobile, I doubt W10 will change your mind.

The main beef I have with my Lumia though is it’s slipperier than greased squirrel shit. It’s like making phone calls with a bar of soap, I’ve dropped it more times than I care to remember.

Rubber_Buccaneer

As ratherbeintobago says above. I really like Windows Phone, prefer it to Android and iOS. But support is lacking from app developers and even Microsoft appear to put more effort into their Android and iOS apps.

I say stick with Android as everything Microsoft will likely work with it very well

ratherbeintobago

Outlook for iOS is a great thing, except that I don’t have my work email on my personal phone.

petec
    Free Member

I’ve got a lumia 930, running W10. Had a lumia 850 (W8.1), lumia 900 (w7.5), htc something (w7.1). Will get a lumia 950 in July. I also have a w10 tablet.

So phone, tablet, computer all link together. Alerts on one feature on the other(s).

I’ve also got a work iphone 5s.

Love WP – so much clearer and easier to use than iOS. Things are intuitive, and in the right place.

But….there is talk of Microsoft stopping them (they’ve written off the $5Bn they spent on Nokia), and as mentioned the number of Apps is somewhat limiting.

There’s no strava; there are apps that link into it, but not the actual product. There is spotify. One downside is the 30gb of ‘free’ space you used to get on onedrive is now being downgraded to 5gb.

So if you were unused to it, should you get it? Dunno. It is very good, but there are shades of RIM going on. But faced with the opposition (android is generic, boring, unsecure, etc; iOS is dull, never changing, expensive) I personally will be getting another WP.

sadmadalan

I have a nice Nokia lumia 920 running 8.1 – it will not be upgraded to 10.

I like the phone – it is great for making phone calls and the camera is wonderful. The integration with MS Office is brilliant

But the support by other suppliers for Apps is not there. When this dies, I will be heading off to Android.

cp

I hate windows phone, and if you’re coming from Android, if you use more than just phone/text/whatsapp you’ll probably find WP a limited and frustrating experience.

O365/sharepoint running well at work

I’ve never been able to get my work O365 account working properly with my work windows phone, I just get ‘invalid account type errors’.

slipperier than greased squirrel shit

THIS!!! Likewise, the 930 is the most dropped phone I’ve ever had. And the corners make holding it uncomfortable. You HAVE to use a non-slip case really, which adds considerable bulk to an already heavy phone.

I’ve used many operating systems and quite happily use/used iOS, BlackBerry, Android, Windows desktop, Mac’s etc… but WP is just bad.

I’ve moaned to high heaven about WP before, so won’t go to great lengths again, but I find it very telling that Microsoft’s own apps work better and have far more functionality in Android than they do on their own WP platform.

lovewookie

ok, looks like I may be sticking with Android for now then.

I’m astounded to hear of a phone that may be slipperier than the sony Z series glass front and rear phones…

been looking at the Z5, G5, HTC oneA9 and the galaxy S7. so far the G5 looks like it’s out, the Z5 may be much of a sameness to my Z3, unsure about the HTC but everyone rants about the Samsung devices, but, it seems, in the same way everyone fanboi’s about iphones…:-/

mogrim

But the support by other suppliers for Apps is not there. When this dies, I will be heading off to Android

This is what drove me from my WP, the OS was fine (even on a very cheap Nokia), but all the apps seemed have a minor fault or two – on their own it wouldn’t have mattered, but when each and every one is clearly inferior to the equivalent Android version…

fisha
    Free Member

The MS apps for android are pretty good nowadays. I don’t think there is that much more on WP that you wouldn’t really be able to get on Android.

As above, I had a WP for a while. Liked the phone, liked the OS, missed some of the common apps (strava being one)

I have the Z3 at the moment and its doing my head in now. Really frustrated with it, especially the camera (since day 1 its been slow and disappointing) and the lack of volume since the upgrade (or downgrade) to marshmallow. (too quiet to hear calls)

With that in mind, seriously thinking of the S7, in either form really as the next phone.

slowbloke
    Free Member

lovewookie – Member
    I’m astounded to hear of a phone that may be slipperier than the sony Z series glass front and rear phones…

I doubt there is – even a greased piece of teflon can’t be as slippery as those. Mine used to wander off my desk on it’s own till I put a case on it.

gordimhor

I have a z1 compact it works well with my windows 10 laptop sharing photos docs. However it’s slippy as mentioned above and I have already replaced a cracked screen once at a cost of £70

dragon
    Free Member

I quite like Win phones, but they seem to always be a bit behind the curve. Although having a dedicated camera button does give them some plus points.

Sony Z3 is a great phone, proper camera button, can add a microSD card, runs fast, battery lasts ages, it’s pretty cheap on the right deal and looks good. The only thing not to like IMO is the friction-less back.

So to the OP get a Z5.

cr4sh
    Free Member

Just had this same dilemma for work use. Got sent a lumia 950xl to try. We use office docs and need to be able to sign easily. Ms office app couldnt do this like wps office on android even with paid upgrade. Sig capture apps are woeful. The whole lack of apps is a letdown after being spoilt with android availability. I really liked the phone itself and looked into the possibility of an android rom for it..no such luck. Final straw was the touch screen failing after 8 days. Now awaiting arrival of nexus 6p.

porlus
    Free Member

But….there is talk of Microsoft stopping them

Think the next plan is for a Surface phone from Microsoft with other manufactures making windows 10 phones. Already a few about to get released from Acer and HP etc.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Phones, moving from Android to Windows phone, or stick with Android…’ is closed to new replies.