Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • winter boots, a investment?
  • ton

recently started riding in spd’s again after a 5/6 year lay off. finding them ok again. but i suffer terribly from cold feet, almost tear inducing sometimes.
    with flat pedals and 5/10 shoes and wool socks, this has not been a problem.
    so i have been having a good look at winter boots. it now seems averyone makes one. in the past i had spesh defroster last time, they were not very insulated. also had old type mt91 which were great, but they changed the last on the newer one, so far too narrow.
    also had some sidi dominators which were ace, sidi now make a similar winter boot.
    and also looked at some wolvehammers, which look head and shoulders above everything else.

i ride year round whatever the weather. 5 day a week commute and social on a weekend, so in the grand scheme expensive boots are not so expensive.

what winter boots do you use or reccommend.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Lake 360s come in wide fit too, been brilliant, better than all the shimano options that you will have tried and can be had cheaper than 45Nth offerings and quality are on a par with Sidi and 45Nth. When this pair eventually dies (I reckon they could last five years at least!) I will buy some more.

iainc

New Defrosters are wider and warmer than the old ones, but watch sizing as you don’t now need to size up to get thick woolen socks in them

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northwave Arctic GTX here. Best sole of any winter boot, important for me on the gnarmac bike over winter, but still walkable on the muddy stuff. Warm enough for all bar the bitterest of days, in my experience. And on those days, an overshoe on top makes all the difference.

butcher

Shimano are very narrow. Lack of wind chill is the biggest benefit in my MW81s. In real terms, they’re probably only marginally better than a cheap pair of neoprene overshoes. But they’re a lot more convenient. Overall I’ve found them a good buy. Very usable in spring and autumn too, so they see plenty of use.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Defrosters here, yup good investment and I run SPDs on road bike. One boot two bikes. Tried 45 north. Zips the issue. Sent on pair back. Just use them on road bike now. Zips not fit for purpose for MTB off road.

ton

so the new defrosters are wide and proper sized.
    shimano are off the list.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Zips not fit for purpose for MTB off road.

Or pretty much any UK winter conditions, I’d say. Around here, many of the lanes (tarmac) I ride are filthy. Almost as filthy as the bridleways and tracks I mix in with them. Zips get killed. Fast.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Lakes have fancy NASA technology in the insides that store heat and release it back if your feet start to cool, seriously it works…….I tried a pair of defrosters on and the Lakes were way better and wider.

iainc

ton – Member
    so the new defrosters are wide and proper sized.

Yes 🙂

….but I also told you those particular Time pedals you bought were shite but you bought them anyway! 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not one piece of cycling equipment is an investment when you are doing the buying 😉

I bet I have owned bits of your bikes for longer than you 😛

Have lakes seems wide and well worth the price tag.

IIRC halford lets you order them so you could try them on before you buy.

jruk
    Free Member

I like my Shimano 81s. Just get a size bigger than normal and get thicker socks for extra toastiness. Don’t think they’re narrow. Del of this parish has got some Lake winter boots that he says are almost too warm. Could be worth a look if you’re really suffering.

righog
    Free Member

I to suffer from very cold feet when riding.

When I was on SPD’s I used MW81’s ( I went 2 sizes up as I have wide feet, this seemd to work ) My feet were always warm. I found using long trousers with water deflected from going inside the boot worked best.

Not much use for the OP…but for completeness…….

I now only use flats offroad. I was using AM41’s which I found keep my feet warm enough most of the time. In really foul weather I started using my meindl walking boots, which were excellent with sealskin socks but they were taking a bit more of a beating than I was happy with so have now I am gonna try some Goretex work boots I have, ( not tried these yet )

EDIT Like these Goretex work boots

ton

junky……..bastid
    Iainc……i just wanted to try em, glad i did to let myself know i prefer shimano’s definite click.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Like the Northwave Celsius boots and they are warm enough without being too hot, but have had issues with SPD cleats not releasing as cleanly as my other shoes. Have tried a worn set so I could back-to-back test them and definitely not as easy to get out. Brand new cleats were no improvement. Might just be my angle of the cleats as otherwise they are superb boots.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ton, I believe jruk has verified my claim to their warmth, they are brilliant! Great grippy vibrant sole that is good for muddy clambers back up hillsides you’ve fell down. Pittards leather uppers and boa closure….

benji
    Free Member

Got some defrosters and love them, best winter boots so far, and very good at staying dry inside.

poey50
    Free Member

Shimano Mt91 – two sizes bigger than street shoes with thick Sealskinz socks. Very comfortable and not as heavy as they look.

kilo

I use the rose.de winter mtb boots look a bit orthopaedic but good, better than my northwave road boots

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Lakes303’s, I’ve gone a size up, put 2mm neoprene insoles in as well as their thermal pad. Only on the most rain sodden wet road ride and truly mud infested MTB have I got cooling feet. Two pairs of socks as well.

Del

lake have a good sizing method detailed on their site. have previously used spesh boots and liked them, but the lakes appear fantastic quality, and their fit suits me. mt91 are my spring/autumn wear now.
    edit: frankly the lakes piss all over any boots i’ve ever had for build and fit. they rock.

jordie
    Free Member

Lakes are brilliant tried other boots however this is my 4th winter with them they are looking a little tired now but I would buy another pair again.

spooky_b329

Lake 303’s here, wide fit.

Only negatives I found is the first set of insoles (flocked silver bubble wrap stuff) fell to bits after a weekend of riding (including a fair bit of pushing as it was SS and I was feeling particularly unfit) Lake sent me a new set.

Recently I lost one of the stud blanking bolts, so fitted a set of studs that came with another set of winter boots. Did a 12 mile loop with no walking, one stud missing when I got back. I thinking it just pulled out as there is very little in the way of threads in the sole, the others were all as tight as when I fitted them.

Otherwise, fantastic and the warmest winter boots I’ve had, and fairly good at keeping water out of the top as well. They do keep going mouldy though, so they’ve lived in the front room near the hearth for the last week.

z1ppy

Lakes 303’s here, bought them last year & so wish I’d done it years ago (no mould on mine), as my toes no longer suffer on wet cold (or freezing) rides. The wolvehammers look great but the lakes have a history & at those prices unless your after the warmest boot possible (contentious subject), I’d recommend the lakes

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Shimano not worth it. Can’t comment on others.

erny
    Free Member

As the others have said the defrosters are now wider and proper sizing, I have the road and Mtb version and wear a pair of merino socks with them and have lovely toasty feet now.

pnik

Just bought another pair of mw81 which did seem narrower than the old ones. Stuffed my feet in with 2 pairs of socks and played a hot hair dryer over them, good fit now. Thats 46 on UK 10 wide feet. Tried a load of others before returning to Shimano.

scotroutes

MW81s are fine.
    Northwave do a range and I’ve been using Gran Canions.
    In both cases, size up and wear thick socks.

I bought some Bontrager OMWs for this but I’ve only had them on once as it’s not really been cold enough.

In any case, remember that an SPD shoe has a big heat sink attached. The warmest solution will be flat pedals and a good, warm boot. You can get thermal lined boots for a fraction of the cost of bicycling stuff and grip is hardly crucial if you are commuting.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I use Lakes that are three sizes too big with two pairs of wool socks. One thinner 100% wool sock and one chunky wool one on top. I find this combo works well. You won’t get much change out of £200 (if any) for the boots and socks together but they will last a long time and well worth the money for not having rides ruined by painfully cold feet imo.
    Had Shimano winter boots before and didn’t find them warm enough. Could only fit one pair of socks in those though.
    Both boots are completely waterproof too which obviously helps a bit!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I gave up on SPDs a couple of years ago due to knee pain. Flats took a bit of getting used to, but I’m fine with them now. However, the best side effect has been that I never, ever get feet like blocks of ice any more. That brass cleat conducts all the heat away, no matter what socks you wear.

Five10s, woolie boolies and sealskinz. Toasty.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I bought 2015 Northwave Extreme GTx boots last year having had Shimano boots which still do the job though tatty now.

So winter ensues & oh dear, they become expensive wellies as the water just goes straight down the ankle as it gapes badly, warm enough when dry though.
    Worth noting is the new 2016 Northwave boots have a much higher Ankle velcro ankle wrap so maybe this might help.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to pick up a SH pair of north waves. They are really very warm! I’d agree about the above comments about them releasing differently to other shoes though. Not a problem, just different

Sandwich

Another vote for Arctic GTX here. possibly up one continental size for warm socks Merlin were doing them for £111 next day delivered.

chaos

Got a pair of Mavic Drift similar to these – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-drift-mtb-shoes-2015/rp-prod90620.

Excellent grip and easy to do up with cold / gloved fingers, however a slightly narrow fit and I regret not getting two sizes up rather than just one (EU sizing) as I can only get the one pair of woolies on underneath. Not massively insulated but water / wind proof of course.

bruneep

Since I bought mine it’s been the mildest winter ever, well worth the money.

ton

just been out for a 3 hours ride, called into evans in Leeds and tried some defrosters on. felt ok in the shop but they are huge like big frankenstein boots. bit of a overkill for commutes and touring.

goona stick with the 5-10/wool/flats combo for now.

dovebiker

Lake bringing out a new model this year so expect to see 303s discounted. Taking my 45Nrth Wolvhammers to the arctic this week for some proper cold riding. I’d only consider Lake and 45Nrth to be proper cold weather boots – I have Sidi and Mavics too, but they’re not comparable to the Wolvhammers.

iainc

Minus 4 at start of ride this morning, Defrosters and a pair of bridgedale wool socks – toasty feet whole ride. They are a little bulky and I get some crank rub with them, but they work very well for me !

sirromj

Have been really happy with my NW Celsius GTX boots until I decided not to slow down for the deep puddle covering the entire road – it was then I immediately realized what a good job they had been doing of keeping my feet warm.

mudpup
    Free Member

dovebiker – new Lakes won’t be around until at least October 2016 and they really are overkill for UK conditions. The existing Lake MZX303 will run for another few years and won’t be cleared out for a good long while.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘winter boots, a investment?’ is closed to new replies.