Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PF30 bb vs BSA standard threaded
  • snap
    Free Member

Im getting a cyclocross frame i was completely sold on the ON ONE dirty disco with standard
    bottom bracket , until they have now introduced a new frame ( Planet x pro carbon XLS )
    The DD has a standard threaded BB , but the new frame has a PF30 a little bit of research last night
    told me that there are genuine haters of the PF30 bb system , but as usual when something new comes out
    there are people how like it ( MTBR source )
    Because most of the research last night was on MTBr , its left me wondering if the PF30 will hold up on a CX bike through a british winter

Opinions please
    Thanks

coatesy
    Free Member

Based on the nuber of PF30 BBs that we have returned due to creaking, I’d not touch one personally.

Rorschach
    Free Member

As another workshop monkey I can confirm the lifespan of pf30 can be measured in minutes. You can bet a BSA converter for pf30 though (and an eccentric bb aswell).

bigbloke
    Free Member

I dislike the PF30 on my bike, bottom bracket is 4 or so months old and on inspection whilst sorting out chainrings the bearings had no grease left in them and were notchy feeling already so popped some more grease into them to try and last a little longer. I will be looking at alternatives for replacement.

lipseal
    Free Member

FSA IMHO make the best PF30 BB’s at the moment. The none drive side has a double bearing seal, but you can’t use a SRAM with an FSA BB and vice versa. Bit shite to be honest. Personally best to stay away from them.

njee20
    Free Member

Chris King are doing one imminently, may sort the problems.

bencooper
    Free Member

What are the advantages of press-fit? It’s cheaper to make. What are the disadvantages? You’re relying on a friction fit on the most highly stressed bearing on a bike, and if it slips you can’t just tighten it up again, you have to buy a new frame.

I really can’t see why anyone in their right mind would use a press fit on a bottom bracket, but maybe that’s the old-fashioned engineer in me speaking.

Chris King are doing one imminently, may sort the problems.

I rest my case. When you have to hope that a really expensive boutique bottom bracket will solve the problems inherent in the system, then it’s a bad system.

bigbloke
    Free Member

What are the adapter systems like to use?. Are they stable?

Rorschach
    Free Member

SRAM bsa adaptor is straight forward enough…just remember to screw the bb BEFORE fitting it 😐

somafunk

As others have said, press fit bb’s are are pointless solution to a non existent problem, usually exacerbated by the laughably poor bearing quality fitted to them, you can swap out the bearings for “enduro” bearings which at least last a decent length of time in our climate but why design such a BB standard in the first place?….Oh….it’s far cheaper for the frame manufacturers that’s why.

Idiots!.

brakes
    Free Member

as well as reduced manufacturing costs, does it not give designers more flexibility in how they design the bottom bracket area allowing for more optimal levels of stiffness, weight, etc. Also they don’t have to worry about the bonding of the BB shell in the BB area having to put up with the torque of loosening a seized BB with a large wrench and a length of scaffold pole.

somafunk

I see your point brakes but as for seized BB’s – that’s down to mechanical ineptness in the first place due to lack of antisieze compound being used upon assembly and as for given designers more flexibility how about redesigning the entire BB shell to incorporate larger axles and inboard bearings, narrowing the “Q” factor for increased pedalling efficiency would be nice as well.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Also they don’t have to worry about the bonding of the BB shell in the BB area having to put up with the torque of loosening a seized BB with a large wrench and a length of scaffold pole

But surely they have to counter that with worrying about how you remove the bearings – basically a dirty great hammer smacking away at a drift on a bearing that doesn’t want to move?

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve got a PF30 BB on my bike and have to admit I was a bit peeved when I found out it had one as it meant I couldn’t do the BB fitting myself and would probably have to pay for it, if it was to be done properly.

Reliability wasn’t really a consideration, especially given the bad press outboard bearing BBs get anyway.
    I’ve not had any problems with it yet, but then it’s only had a few rides.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Have being Useing the praxis works comverter in my salsa frame it’s lasted far longer than any pf30 I’ve tried
    But and maybe it’s me being odd I prefer internal bbs but it does Limit choice a little now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PF30 bb vs BSA standard threaded’ is closed to new replies.