Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Whats the best chippy in your area?
  • The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Boundary or lindfords in market deeping both very good.

Philby

Another vote for a West Yorks chippie – the Mayflower on Pool Road, Otley. Often first point of call when back up North visiting my Mum.
    There’s an ok one in Westbury on trym in Bristol where I live now, but none are a patch on any chippie I’ve been to in the Leeds area.
    Oh and always haddock rather cod!

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Chez Fred, Westbourne, Bournemouth.

Absolutely phenomenal, good restaurant section too and for £1 they’ll sell you a ‘Moggy Bag’ of fish scraps so your feline friend doesn’t miss out

ell_tell
    Free Member

I wish my local was ‘A fish called Rhondda’ but alas its Zero Plus, Cowbridge Rd, Cardiff. Tis ok though as their chips are excellent & is even endorsed by cheggers 🙂

gixer.john
    Free Member

Pye Green Chippy – just beside the big TV tower @ Cannock

Featherstone chippy

Both run by Greeks, seem to do a better job of doing fish and chips than most nationalities.

Tried Nardinis in Largs the other week, everyone had been saying how good the F&C were, ques out of the door – very dissapointing, overpriced, fish not great – Harry ramsdens do a better F&C.

Rich_s

Oh, thank the lord for the strong Leeds bias on here! I get tired of banging on about how sh1t the fish n chips are anywhere else, and especially how expensive they are on the wrong side of the Pennines!

Any hows – the Wayward Tyke in Ramsbottom is pretty good if a bit greasy. The new one in the middle of Chester (Blackstocks) is not bad and getting better but is nigh on 7 quid! Haven’t asked for scraps yet as the staff often look confused…

When I’m back in the mother county I tend to go to the Wetherby Whaler as it’s consistently good.

Haddock is the only way to go.

theboatman
    Free Member

George’s dominate my area; one in Belper, Ilkeston, Long Eaton and the pub one on the A610. To be fair they do bang out decent quality nosh. The Crest of the Wave in Ripley is ok. The demise of the Ilkeston Flyer was tragic. But I would travel to Bedford just to eat at Salty’s, awesome food and the serving losses have beards and that’s and everything.

ricardo666
    Free Member

Andys chip shop on lark lane Aigburth Liverpool.

But also the lobster pot after a few jars opposite central station.

spacemonkey

Fishers do a pretty decent mobile chippy around Surrey.

McDermotts in Addington takes the crown though. Bang on every time. Tad pricey for eat-in but worth it.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Sea Breeze in Dorking

You’ve got to be kidding! Only chippy in Dorking worth a mention is Superfish. Bloomin’ marvellous it be!

eugeo81
    Free Member

Hungary Hill Chippy, Stourbridge same as lunge or Balds Lane Fish Bar in Lye if i am feeling the need for battered orange chips

speshspenner
    Free Member

The Chippy bank in Ulverston….just superb. If your ever in town get your self in for a ‘sit down’ meal with a brew.

carlosg
    Free Member

When I’m back in the mother county I tend to go to the Wetherby Whaler as it’s consistently good

After a series of catastrophes in the last 6 weeks before our wedding (including the reception venue going up in flames) we ended up booking the Pudsey branch of the ‘Wetherby Whaler’ for our reception , weird because we always joked that we’d take everyone for fish and chips after we got wed and in the end we did 😀

scuttler

Only been once but would definitely revisit the Tower Fishbar in Penicuik. Handy for the Edinburgh crowd post-Peebles. Saltnsauce? Pardon?

Can we get a Leeds chippy top 5 consensus once this thread has run its course?

poltheball
    Free Member

It’s all about the “Top Shop” in Auchterarder for me – they do chippies and chinese, as well as pizzas… Their chicken omelettes are second to none!

Unfortunately they’re 40mins from my house so not exactly local 🙁

chickenman

I’m the best Chippie round here…oh, you don’t mean Joiner 8O!?

Poopsies
    Free Member

George’s in Long Eaton? Is that on Derby Road theboatman? I remember that from years ago doing great chips.

gmex619
    Free Member

I don’t know any in Sheffield/Penistone area where I live that’re actually nice. But in Warington theres the Stockton Fryer in Stockton Heath and in Liverpool there’s the Lobster Pot on Ranelagh Street.

montylikesbeer

Barney’s, Brook Road, Flixton as said is the best chippy, mom mom mom mom

el_boufador

As disappointed with the Quayside in Whitby. Our local is better – Oakwood fisheries in Oakwood, Leeds.

mooty
    Free Member

You’ve got to be kidding! Only chippy in Dorking worth a mention is Superfish.

Another vote for Superfish here, but my local is Tolworth.

ben
    Free Member

My favourite chippy in Leeds was Bretts.

The best chippy in my new area?

Smiths in Katong. It’s suprisingly good.

andy8442
    Free Member

United Fisheries opposite Elland Road used to be excellent, but has sadly changed ownership a number of and has never returned to its greatness (abit like the boys over the road!)

cheburashka
    Free Member

So what’s the consensus on the Pollard’s place in Walsden? Overrated? I’ve always found it all right, above average at least (and opening at 9am & selling carrot cake helps) but a mate of mine down the road reckons it’s not even the best chippy in Walsden. Definitely the best-known though.

bigblackshed

My favourite, although about 160mile drive is Squires, Braunton, Devon.

Did have a local chippy that only did fish and chips. Everything was cooked fresh, 15 or so different fish, the only extras were mushy peas and tartare sauce. Always a queue, for the right reasons.

Then the family retired and sold it on. The new owners added the kebab grill, burgers, sausages, etc. Instead of cod, plaice, haddock, they now serve “fish”. Say no more.

xiphon
    Free Member

“Tony’s Top Chippy” in Longridge, Lancs.

Why?

On Wed and Thurs, Tony reserves one fryer for gluten free batter (and cooking chips)

mrs xiphon is gluten intolerant… so WIN!

LapSteel
    Free Member

Ilex chippy in Rawtenstall…they do proper gravy

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best chippy in your area?’ is closed to new replies.