Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Halfords crank arm
  • peterpep
    Free Member

Can anyone help please ….. My grandson now has a Carrera Kraken after his dad passed away. Problem is, As I understand it, it is made solely for Halfords and it`s left side crank arm needs replacing screw thread is worn.
    I have tried since 29th of April to get a replacement arm from Halfords
    with no success. The shop in Halfords Cardiff cant find a crank arm that will replace the worn part can anyone point me in the right direction to get the correct one. … thx peter

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it a square taper or a Hollowtech

Essentially is the bit it bolts to square or circular – circle may have “teeth or cogs”

STW please note noob[ and I assume non cyclist] who is asking for advice hence simplification

Where are you based as someone may have alook at it for you

scaredypants

can you post a photo on here of the bit that connects to the bottom bracket? (has to be on a hosting site like, say, flickr (see forum help section below for how to link)

martinhutch

Yes, stick a photo up. Googling suggests that it may take a standard isis LH crankarm.

Does it have Truvativ or any other brand written on it?

SJS Cycles is good for finding bits like that.

bigblackshed

Stick a photo up.

If it is ISIS I have a used pair of arms you can have for postage.

mattyfez

My 2012/13 vengeance has a square taper bb with a sram crank set if that hhelp.

wiggles
    Free Member

As above if you can get some pictures I might be able to help. Only down the road in Newport.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Need to know which age of Krakken. The name has been around for at least 18 years, the current bikes take a square taper (Diamond pattern). The NDS arms are a bugger to get hold of but a new crankset for that bike is only around £30.

coatesy
    Free Member

I won’t be in today (nant y arian trip is calling 🙂 ), but call in to Sunset on Woodville Rd in Cathays, and we should be able to sort you out with something similar.

matt_outandabout

Hi Peter – I cannot see the pics in your other thread.

As others have said, you would be better off getting a complete new crankset. If a crank has come off, or thread busted, it usually continues to cause problems or repeats on the other side. These things just wear out.

If you can’t replace it yourself, you will need to pay a shop to do so. It should not be too expensive. Basic crank (Acera or similar) = £30-40. I would expect it to be an hours work, so likely another £25 labour.

peterpep
    Free Member

Hello

Thanks for trying to help …. I`m having a nightmare at the moment… I cant get the url to work to upload pictures. Will do as soon as I figure it out.
    What I dont understand is ..Halfords are selling this bike today in their shops, yet I cant buy a replacement part (crank arm) that fails pretty often on bikes.

wwaswas

I think the problem is that crank arms really don’t ‘fail’ – they are damaged as a result of coming loose or people forcing pedals in with the wrong thread.

As above, a complete crankset is often cheaper anyway!

peterpep
    Free Member

wwaswas Sounds about right .. if I get it sorted for my grandson I will check it`s kept tightened myself … thx peter

taxi25
    Free Member

How old is the bike ? newer ones seem to come with sram x5 cranks.
    This should fit if that’s the case. Not cheap though !!!
    Get some pictures up and I’m sure someone on here will sort you out.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Truvativ-Left-Hand-Crank-11-6115-548-000/dp/B0063HFO8C?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

peterpep
    Free Member

Posted by Peter Pep on Thursday, May 12, 2016

Please see pics above … the bike is about just over 1 year (I think) still being sold .. 175mm between centres … thx peter

matt_outandabout

Peter – when you say ‘screw thread is worn’, do you mean where the pedal screws in?

matt_outandabout
    peterpep
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

Worn away where the pedal screws in … he must have been riding it for sometime when it was very loose.

peterpep
    Free Member

it`s a Diamond fit

taxi25
    Free Member

Diamond/square same thing depending how you look at it. The one Matt linked to will fit just fine.
    I’m in Cardiff, if you get one I’d be happy to fit it for you.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Halfords crank arm’ is closed to new replies.