Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 248 total)
  • Car leasing, anyone here do it??
  • aracer
    Free Member

😆

(BTW my Mondeo will fit 3 car seats)

tom200

Looked at a mondeo, it was more of a faf then my civic. Good car otherwise through.

rone

I can’t get off my street (on the bike) due to leased cars clogging it up.

How am I’m going to ride my bike to work too as I’ve been put off cycling by renting a car specifically setup for low yearly miles because I ride more than I drive? I also hate leaving my capital in the bank too – and can’t stand the lack of breaking down, servicing and mot’s. I really have a problem with no VED and newer more fuel efficient engines and modern safety in new cars.

The 3 year warranty is a bind too as is the free breakdown cover – it’s a very frustrating driver experience.

Not to mention having a car with no wear and tear from the off – I want the good old days back. I also hate having a new car every 2-3 years based on my circumstances – that’s the sort of flexibility you could do without. I miss the used dealer lads too – what a friendly bunch all looking out for your best interest, or scouting autotrader only to be spoiled by choice of perfectly well looked after vehicles in fabulous condition after you’ve driven 150 miles to check them out.

I’m almost convinced.

wrecker
    Free Member

. I miss the used dealer lads too – what a friendly bunch all looking out for your best interest

😀

martinhutch

That Lingcars site is hilarious. Putting a button on your webcam page that lets you play The Proclaimers at their Scottish employee is not what you’d expect from someone in that line of business.

Apparently he doesn’t like it for some reason. 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

I can’t get off my street (on the bike) due to leased cars clogging it up.

aracer
    Free Member

I hate not spending lots of money every year paying for a lease. I hate having a s/h car which is exactly the same model as I could have got new on a lease, so just as safe etc. I hate having a lot more money left in the bank after 3 years. I hate having a car at the end of those 3 years which I don’t have to pay anything more for and can just keep driving.

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

It’s a pity you don’t hate being a bellend

trail_rat
    Free Member

i really love paying for a shiny car to sit on my drive when i cycle to work. really makes the jones’ curtains twitch.

or as a colleague found – living in fear of his new Q7 being dinged as he would have to fix it before hand back

johndoh
    Free Member

There are some bitter people on here today.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wrecker
    Free Member

Would you not fix a dinged car anyway? Nobody wants to drive around in a dinged and dented POS do they?

aracer
    Free Member

Well hello occasional poster, thanks for your contribution to the thread. Are you not feeling satisfied by your leased 1 series?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Would you not fix a dinged car anyway? Nobody wants to drive around in a dinged and dented POS do they?”

Why ? they all end up in the scrap yard at the end of the day ….. its transport from A – B. Means i dont get strung up in carparks when someone knocks it with a trolley or a door…… or my mate sticks his bike against it post ride.

I used to have pride in my car – then i realised that no one else gives a shit so its easier just to have a car i dont care aboot. My old golf went from mind to shitter in about 3 months thanks to carpark asshats – thought id moved to paris overnight to be fair.

aracer
    Free Member

There speaks somebody who buys cars on a lease because they place intrinsic value in a car beyond something with wheels which gets you from one place to another. As discussed recently on another thread, it’s actually quite good for the blood pressure to not be all that bothered by a minor scrape.

It’s not like I’ve bashed my car into anything, but I’m unfussed by car park dings, or indeed when mrs aracer scraped the side against a post.

wrecker
    Free Member

Why ? they all end up in the scrap yard at the end of the day

And again, this really does demonstrate that you cannot compare bangernomics with leasing a new car. People who don’t like or enjoy cars are not going to appreciate a nice one. Others do, and will pay for it.

There speaks somebody who buys cars on a lease because they place intrinsic value in a car beyond something with wheels which gets you from one place to another.

No there does not speak somebody who leases cars actually. Just because somebody does not have such an entrenched, narrow view, it doesn’t mean that they are in some way invested on a particular side believe it or not. And, yes some do/will place a higher value on something than just it’s ability as a vehicle. Same goes with houses, I could probably reside in a smaller house but I like having some space. I could probably ride a bog standard boardman bike, but I enjoy nice things. I really don’t know how this is so difficult to understand. What bike(s) do you own out of interest aracer?

johndoh
    Free Member

I used to have pride in my car – then i realised that no one else gives a shit so its easier just to have a car i dont care aboot. My old golf went from mind to shitter in about 3 months thanks to carpark asshats – thought id moved to paris overnight to be fair.

Now this I totally agree with and I am coming around to this idea for myself (currently drive a leased 3.0 TDi V6 A6 Avant) but next time around I am getting a second-hand 4×4 family mobile for camping holidays and other general ferrying kids around duties.

*However* I can still understand why *some* people prefer to drive a newer car. You are not right and they are not wrong. They are just different opinions.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh, so you’re not actually currently getting quotes and arranging one as discussed upthread? You have spent a lot of time advocating it and knocking down the alternatives for somebody who doesn’t do it.

Same goes with houses, I could probably reside in a smaller house but I like having some space.

Yeah, a smaller house is a prefect analogy for a s/h car – or at least it would be if you could only get big cars on a lease and small cars s/h.

What bike(s) do you own out of interest aracer?

I own what was a top of the range bling machine when I bought it (26″ wheels though 😥 ). Which cost me less than the difference between what I’ve paid to own my car for the 4 years I’ve had it and what it would have cost for a 3 years lease (even if I scrapped it tomorrow). Which is kind of my point, well done for helping with that – I could have had a shiny car, or I could have had my car which is less shiny but has done just as good a job of getting me to CyB, Afon etc. Well a better job, because with my car I have a shiny bling bike to ride when I get there rather than having to walk.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve never said they are wrong – but there has been a lot of spurious justification of the financials on here by people who seem to want to ignore how much it costs to do that.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh, so you’re not actually currently getting quotes and arranging one as discussed upthread? You have spent a lot of time advocating it and knocking down the alternatives for somebody who doesn’t do it.

I am because work provide me with one. That’s by the by as it doesn’t matter a jot to me how they finance it!

I own what was a top of the range bling machine when I bought it (26″ wheels though ). Which cost me less than the difference between what I’ve paid to own my car for the 4 years I’ve had it and what it would have cost for a 3 years lease (even if I scrapped it tomorrow). Which is kind of my point, well done for helping with that

Nice try but you have done yourself here;

beyond something with wheels which gets you from one place to another

Which is pretty much exactly what a bike is.

spud-face

This thread came along at a handy time. I’ve just passed my test (at the tender age of thirty four)and have been umming and ahhing about whether to buy or lease.
    I have no interest in cars or driving, and would happily potter around in a battered eyesore. The things that are leaning me toward a lease are the idea that I could get a tiny practice car for a couple of years to get the hang of driving and develop a no-claims, and after a decade of lost sleep thanks to the perpetual problems with my elderly house I just want the worry-free option. As noted above, paying a premium so that I don’t have to pray the thing works when I turn it on, or have to go through the rigmarole of second-guessing dealers/mechanics is fine by me.
    Trying to keep the thing in a nice enough state to hand back is a concern in itself though, I don’t like the idea of becoming the kind of person who cares about appearances. Especially when the kids’ll occasionally be in it, I’d rather not be getting tetchy over chocolate stains on the ceiling etc.
    Driving’s shit, I’m not enjoying any of the experience.

aracer
    Free Member

Which is pretty much exactly what a bike is.
    [/quote]

Well no, it’s quite clearly not, because most of us ride round in circles.

The bike I use for transport is cheap and tatty.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well given that we always end up where we started from, our driving is the same, no?

aracer
    Free Member

I get in my car at one place and out of it at another – is that not what you do? Lease cars for driving round in circles then.

Drac

Something tells me aracer didn’t get Steak for tea last night.

wrecker
    Free Member

I get in my car at one place and out of it at another

How do you get home?

aracer
    Free Member

Oops, sorry just realised you wrote “bikes”. Well also a road bike with Campag Record, a bling TT bike with DA and a Cannondale tandem (plus a few more). The total cost of which is less than I’ve saved running s/h cars rather than leasing. I suppose it’s possible I’ve wasted money which might have allowed me to afford both, but I don’t think so. In which case for me at least it’s a complete no brainer to run slightly older cars (none of which have left me stranded at the side of the road since my first banger over 20 years ago, and I’ve already mentioned my biggest ever bill) and have a fleet of nice bikes. Clearly other people have different priorities.

bearnecessities

I like nice underwear.

aracer
    Free Member

I can think of a couple of occasions where I’ve run. Though I note that I don’t always drive to or from home and I’ve also kayaked back to where my car journey started. I’m not sure of the relevance of my personal transport habits though.

aracer
    Free Member

TTIWWP

martinhutch

I like nice underwear.

I lease my underwear on a four-monthly basis. Not looking forward to the handover inspection.

wrecker
    Free Member

Clearly other people have different priorities.

Clearly. I have two nice MTBs and a cheap Giant defy road bike. It’s likely that the roady never leave the turbo trainer and I could not care less if it rusts, gets dents or whatever because I don’t love it and never will.

trail_rat
    Free Member
    Drac

I buy top of the range underwear none of that bland euro rubbish, I get it with the money saved by not buying a new bike for 18 years.

I’ve even sky dived back to my bike.

brassneck

Something tells me aracer didn’t get Steak for tea last night.

No pudding I reckon 😀

It’s an interesting debate. I’ve always driven bangers and treated RAC membership as additional insurance if I can’t dig myself out of trouble. However, work is now moving 20 miles up the motorway and suddenly the idea of driving a 15 year old 205 for three days a week on the M4 doesn’t appeal .. don’t get a car allowance, what to do?? Lease whilst almost certainly not financially advantageous seems a way to balance a bit of risk out, but I’m struggling with that against a personal loan and buy outright. For context I don’t like streaming vs. owning so it’s as likely to be about me as the deal itself.

aracer
    Free Member

Did you drive to where you started the sky dive then?

Drac

Did you drive to where you started the sky dive then?

Of course as that’s where I left my bike.

aracer
    Free Member

The funny thing is, some seem to be portraying me as a banger driver, when my last 3 cars have been newish when bought (one from a main dealer), and only one ever got to the point of being a real banger. I’ve had breakdown cover, but since my first ever car which was all I could afford and I got rid of over 25 years ago I’ve only used them following prangs (most recently it was me that got pranged – couldn’t lift my left foot of the floor when sitting down, so get them to recover me and my fully functional car home).

takisawa2

Had a look at leasing before Xmas, when the mighty Mondeo spluttered its last. Had x amount (about £180/m) to ply the dealers with.
    Come away with a year old Focus on a PCP deal, £500 down & a few grand to buy it at the end. Wife happy, her & the kids are in a something modern & safe.
    (I cant imagine there are many that aren’t safe these days).

I was happy to adopt our ageing Galaxy as my bike bus come caravan hauler etc.
    Late 1.9 TDi, no dmf, happy to chug around on short journeys. 🙂

That bike leasing things looks a bit daft when there are so many 0% finance deals around.

rone

I can’t wait until I can lease a 3D printer that downloads me a different car every day.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 248 total)

The topic ‘Car leasing, anyone here do it??’ is closed to new replies.