Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • People with their sat-nav in THE MIDDLE OF THE WINDSCREEN
  • Kahurangi

DO THEY NOT WANT TO SEE SOMEONE BEFORE THEY RUN THEM DOWN?? WILL THE EVEN NOTICE THE *BUMP* *BUMP* WHEN THEY RUN OVER A CHILD/BABY ROBIN IN THE ROAD??? Why are they creating a new blind spot in the middle of their field of vision?

Can we shoot these morons on sight?

toby1

They have bad eyesight – so it’s best to put it close where they can not only see it, but reach it to mess with the buttons too.

Ewan
    Free Member

Am I the only one who thinks its best in that position (albeit low down)? If you put it at the side you’re just increasing the size of the blind spot caused by the A pillar (which are already very thick on modern cars). At least if it’s in the middle the object you don’t want to hit has had to travel to through your field of vision to get to the blind spot caused by the sat nav.

perchypanther
    Free Member

People with their sat-nav in THE MIDDLE OF THE WINDSCREEN…….GET IN THE SEA!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Meh in the middle of the screen its already down behind my spare wheel so its no obscurin any more of my view 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m almost wishing I’d not opened this thread. Still, worse than middle of the screen is the old bloke I followed the other day who had it in the middle of his side of the screen. Amazed if he could the the road at all. This is why we need traffic cops back out there patrolling. Those average speed cameras on the M1 are never going to spot this life threatening behaviour!

For the record, when I use mine, it’s bottom centre so something would have to actually climb up my bonnet before the satnav obscures it.

hels
    Free Member

Depends how tall they are. A mechanic once insisted I remove a sticker from my windscreen (parking pass for FB world cup) as it obscured the view therefore warrant of fitness fail. His view maybe. I would have had to get a booster seat to even notice it was there.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

SHOUTING!!!!! (just thought I’d join in…there, that’s better)
    surely the best place for a sat-nav to be mounted is the bottom right hand side of the windscreen by the wing-mirror as you’ll be looking in that direction regularly anyway and it’s away from the rest of the windscreen

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I completely agree OP … and to add…

A chip larger than a 5p in the central part of your windscreen and I believe its a MOT fail.

How does that work ?

mudshark
    Free Member

Bottom/middle for me – couldn’t put on the right anyway as would have power cable problems as socket is by my hand brake.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Because your window can bullseye from that size of chip quick.

You sure its a sat nav and not a dash cam ? Seen some dodgy placements of them also

bikebouy
    Free Member

#Bumpbumpsquint

Stevet1
    Free Member

A chip larger than a 5p in the central part of your windscreen and I believe its a MOT fail.

How does that work ?

Might attract seagulls

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

at least its just a satnav, not like the ipad i saw the other day stuck to the middle of their windscreen, and it wasnt an ipad mini either.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Didnt think modern windscreen could bullseye … ?

and the fail was because of impaired vision…. ??

happy to be educated

failedengineer

Bottom right for me, even though the cable just about reaches across to the centre console. If I had it the bottom middle I wouldn’t be able to read it properly. I only use it if I absolutely have to – I hate to see them on other people’s screens, don’t know why really ….

molgrips
    Free Member

Am I the only one who thinks its best in that position (albeit low down)?

Maybe, I put mine at the very bottom of the windscreen to the right of the steering wheel. Doesn’t even obscure any windscreen, only obscures blank plastic of the dash. It’s actually closer there than in the middle.

Might be harder to reach there though if you are short.

Cougar

Related annoyance,

Car passes like the ones used on the Eurotunnel. “Here’s a piece of card roughly the size of Belgium. Please hang it from your rear view mirror.” Um, the windscreen’s kinda made of glass for a reason, you know…

smiththemainman
    Free Member

A sat nav in your central field of vision is also an MOT fail if I remember correctly, the tester will often remove it and think he/she is meant to put an advisory on the MOT. Correct me if I am wrong.Not from experience but a greater pool of knowledge , bloke stood at the bar in the local!!
    On another point , the bell ends that use them in their local area, followed someone living local home from work , sat nav blazing away in middle of screen, can only assume they spent years getting lost on the way home for tea!!

Cougar

On another point , the bell ends that use them in their local area, followed someone living local home from work , sat nav blazing away in middle of screen, can only assume they spent years getting lost on the way home for tea!!

Even if you know the route, they’re handy for traffic updates.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Fair enough Cougar but we drive 1-2 miles maximum down one road through a couple of sets of traffic lights until we turn off to relevant housing estate!!!

Mr_C
    Free Member

Mine is provided by work and tracks my location and mileage so if I didn’t use it all the way home then I wouldn’t be reimbursed for fuel correctly. (It’s not in the middle of the screen though)

MrNice
    Free Member

centre, as low as it’ll go above the dash for me. I suppose if I was a dwarf it would block my view of something other than the end of the bonnet but then I wouldn’t be able to see over the steering wheel either.

GrahamS

Fair enough Cougar but we drive 1-2 miles maximum down one road through a couple of sets of traffic lights until we turn off to relevant housing estate!!!

More importantly, if that’s your commute why the *** are you driving it??

ahwiles
    Free Member

Middle of the windscreen here, just below the rear-view mirror. Everything on the road is ‘below’ the screen.

What’s the ****ing problem?

(since we’re getting all shouty)

CountZero

I used to have mine in the centre of the screen, as low as the mount could possibly go. I did notice that it was sitting on the back seat after an MOT test, though…
    It was the best position I found for visibility at the time, however, now I use a Nite-ize Steely stuck to the front centre of the dash, just above the centre console; much easier to read and adjust, if necessary, there’s much less cable floating around, and it’s much neater and tidier than a big lump of plastic stuck to the glass.
    Just have to be a bit careful where I put the phone, seeing as how it’s got a high-power magnet stuck to the back…

dannybgoode

I have mine in the centre of the windscreen however note that is not in my central field of view.

At 6’2″ I am looking down, way over the top of the sat Nov. If anything the rear view mirror obstructs more of my view.

Saccades
    Free Member

Has to go in the middle so the kids and wife can see how long it is before we get to where we are going.

Does it really matter for those following behind?

matt_outandabout

My map sits in the passenger door pocket.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

My neighbour has his massive samsung to right of the middle of the screen, really high up on the drivers side of the screen (All the time) on an even bigger bracket. He drives too fast and can’t speak English. It’s pointless me even mentioning the moronic stupidity of his ways, he’d just look at me funny.

I just sigh.

aracer
    Free Member

So it’s better than somewhere which is even worse? Presumably it’s not possible to put the satnav somewhere it doesn’t obscure any of the screen?

matt_outandabout

Better than holding it in hand while texting on same device at the same time. Yes, you the blonde lady in the mini tonight.

anagallis_arvensis

I have it in the middle low down. It doesnt block the view as I’m looking up the road not at my bonnet.

fourbanger
    Free Member

My ex used to keep her sat nav in the house “incase someone steals it!!”.

nickc

Even better are the ones on the passenger window, unhappy old man driving, wife with a face like a bulldog sucking a lemon in the passenger seat…

he’s driving, she’s still the boss of him 😆

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Worse still are the people that drive at night with the bloody thing in daytime mode!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Was waiting for that Graham s!!! I drive the works van and can set off in any direction everyday and never no where im coming home from!!Oh and I dont use a sat nav just tend to google map night before and then wing it!!!
    As for working watching people, jesus!!!

kongman28
    Free Member

An ex policeman who gave us a driving course at work said anything obscuring your view out of the windscreen in the area the wipers cover should be removed. I’ve seen iPads stuck to windscreens which must be the craziest idea ever.

CountZero

o it’s better than somewhere which is even worse? Presumably it’s not possible to put the satnav somewhere it doesn’t obscure any of the screen?

Of course it is! Didn’t you read my post above?

aracer
    Free Member

My apologies CZ, I thought my sarcasm was sufficiently obvious. I don’t own a dedicated satnav, but if I use my phone it gets mounted on one of the air vents below the level of the screen and presumably in a similar place to where you have yours (also in pretty much the same place built in ones are).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘People with their sat-nav in THE MIDDLE OF THE WINDSCREEN’ is closed to new replies.