Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Peel Centre Glentress
  • stevewhyte
    Free Member

I don’t think people can have a go at the FC they have invested a lot of money along with the LA’s and as has been said we are so fortunate to the the 7 stanes in the south of Scotland. I am only just waking up to the fact that they are a world class facility.

Northwind

kaesae – Member

No one dissagree’s about new facilities being needed at GT, the real question in my opinion is, have the FCS invested this money wisely

Not a difficult question, they clearly haven’t. Fit-for-purpose facilities could have been produced for much less, that’s not really a point of debate. Imagine the results if they’d spent 2/3ds of the budget on the facilities, and the rest on trails, footpaths, etc.

But that’s not that relevant to the question of whether the cafe’s any good. It’s not a value-for-money facility but it’s fit for purpose, a big step forward, and come winter it’ll take a lot of pairs of rose tinted glasses to sit in the new cafe and say “I wish I was sat in the rain, in the cold, at the hub”

As for E&T, well, it’s a subject we’ve gone over and the only thing that’s changed since the first lot of threads is that now everyone knows E&T were lying to us about some things… “No new trails at glentress”, remember? Local jobs to be lost?

balfa
    Free Member

The peel centre is not just a new hub – its to attract more people to the site – birdwatchers, walkers, bus tours etc etc.

Exactly. According to the FCs figures bikers are already in the minority at Glentress so why not cater for them?

YearTotal UsersMtn Bikers
    2005-06 222,000 104,000
    2006-07 234,000 110,000
    2007-08 248,000 117,000
    2008-09 266,000 125,000
    2009-10 301,000 141,000

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevomcd
    Free Member

Could’ve got a Chairlift for that

Sad thing is, you really could! (Having been at our local resorts’ tourist office / development council meeting last night!).

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I don’t think people can have a go at the FC they have invested a lot of money<

That’s precisely why people are having a go. You see this day in daily with far too many public sector projects / contracts – Scottish Parliament and Edinburgh Trams projects being two extreme examples.

>Sad thing is, you really could!<

No, I think the sad thing is the top down approach to the whole thing -contrast the Funicular Railway fiasco for example, and the astronomical sums squandered on that, with the operation at the Lecht. The Innerleithen Chairlift Project, if it ever happens, would do exactly what the Peel’s done and that’s suck the life out of other needy projects across the wider forest estate. It’s ridiculous to simplify this as ‘Portakabin versus Peel’ – which would you rather have…

>E&T were lying to us about some things… “No new trails at glentress”,<

IIRC that was FCS de-facto position at the time. What has FCS built since this self imposed embargo?

proteus
    Free Member

“No new trails at glentress”, remember?
    So what new trails are planned?

Local jobs to be lost?
    What are the relevant figures then?

If you’re going to use a word like “lying” then you presumably have the evidence to hand, eh?

Euro
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

soulrider – thats why we have all these world class facilities for free? Don’t forget how much we have – the glass is more than half full. compare what wehave to what they have down south or Norn Ireland?

The glass is so full there’s stuff dribbling down the sides and onto the floor.

Soulrider, I don’t think you realise how fortunate you are. Hundreds of miles of quality trails that were built and are being maintained for your riding pleasure. All you have to do is turn up, pay a few quid and ride. There’s even food, drinks and washing facilities at hand.

Contrast that with what we have in NI. Trails we build and maintain illegally ourselves. We share them with anyone who happens to decide the landing ramp of a jump would make a great place to have a family picnic or walkers who let their dogs lay eggs at every corner. Constant sabotage of trails by FS and the public (not just logs/tacks – but wrapping wire across trails at head height). Plenty of fire roads though, just a pity the newly proposed bye-laws plan to make cycling in forests illegal and no access to anyone on FS land after dark.

Want to swap?

geoffj

Well I’ve just returned from a sunny afternoon at Glentress. The trails were buff and the tagalong didn’t seem to much of a burden. Real gnar core around the green (including skills loop!) and then a trundle in the bike park.

Tea in the cafe was very nice, very accommodating. Lovely bright open space with mixture of seating and decent food. It was relatively quiet compared to the Hub though on what should be one of the busiest days of the year. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Good luck to them though.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

It’d have been a lot busier if it had been peeing down. Once some more Scottish weather arrives the new place will start to appeal more. Also once people get used to the layout or some better signage gets put up then people will start to use it.

Sandwich

No baked spuds though.

Same was true of the Hub when I was last there.

Northwind

proteus – Member

“No new trails at glentress”, remember?
    So what new trails are planned?

If you’re going to use a word like “lying” then you presumably have the evidence to hand, eh?

Seriously? I don’t need to tell you about new trails planned, how about the new trail that’s already been built and opened since they came out with that one?

“Local jobs to be lost”

The new place is run by another local business. Do you think they’re going to import staff from China or something? Or they’re going to run the cafe with robots? I suspect the final result will be more skilled jobs, the bike shop is set up to be able to run more staff in the workshop.

coogan
    Free Member

Usual shite on here. Ride the trials and go get a sandwich else where if you don’t like it. Or, crazy I know, go ride somewhere different. My working life revolves around losing or winning new business each year. It’s never fun, but that is how it goes in the business world. It’s just a fooking cafe for gods sake, get over it.

proteus
    Free Member

Seriously? I don’t need to tell you about new trails planned, how about the new trail that’s already been built and opened since they came out with that one?
    Yup. Go on. Tell me. Meaningful trail development, stuff that’ll see the increase in visitor numbers forecast.

I suspect the final result will be more skilled jobs, the bike shop is set up to be able to run more staff in the workshop.
    You suspect? You suspect?! You are the one calling people liars here.

Northwind

proteus – Member

Yup. Go on. Tell me. Meaningful trail development, stuff that’ll see the increase in visitor numbers forecast.

They said “no new trails”. Your attempt to defend this by adding caveats and disclaimers is ridiculous.

But, to answer your question- the green extension’s opened, and the ongoing blue route extensions have just added another totally new section. Both good additions to the trails which do most to attract new riders.

You suspect? You suspect?! You are the one calling people liars here.

Proving people liars, you mean. Your attempt to misdirect here is also ridiculous- I said I suspect that it’ll lead to more jobs. Don’t pretend outrage at things I didn’t say.

iain1775
    Free Member

What coogan said
    Hardly the end of the world is it, get over it life is full of so many more important things to worry about
    It’s a bike Ride and it’s some food, be grateful you have both

Euro
    Free Member

Someone was complaining the other day about the trail verges getting trimmed. F**king spoiled rotten!

proteus
    Free Member

Don’t pretend outrage at things I didn’t say.
    Who is pretending?

Enjoy the Kool-Aid.

Gomez13
    Free Member

“the change cycle”…denial, resistance, exploration…” or whatever variants you’ve seen before…
    the peel is the future of GT MTB, use it and be thankful…or go to IL where there’s nowt and be happy in your revolution brothers and sisters..

GW
    Free Member

“the change cycle”…denial, resistance, exploration…” or whatever variants you’ve seen before…
    the peel is the future of GT MTB, use it and be thankful…or go to IL where there’s nowt[b]often a burger van selling food that blows away the usual namby pamby trail centre cafe offerings and a town with cafes/pubs/supermarket etc. 2 mins away[/b] and be happy in your revolution brothers and sisters..

iainc

was at Glentress today for first time in about a year. Arrived back of 9, left around 1330. Trails – red seemed much as it used to be, a new section at the bottom of the valley – middle sections all a lot more cut up/braking bumps than I remember. Lots of people about, mostly good manners. Rode red then blue – blue empty and flowy – I actually think I preferred it !!

Popped into the Peel Centre – beans n toast, coffee, cake – well priced, good food. Nice airy place – bike racks all in full view for security, practical plastic chairs and tables, but comfy and good quality – toilets clean. Also looked at the loos/showers beside the new car park – again clean and well appointed.

Ok, so not the atmosphere of the shonky Hub portacabins, but so what – it is good and functional and I’m sure will develop it’s own atmoshphere in time.

Only downside of the day was the wee dog that took off down the trail from Buzzards Nest in front of us and was still in front at the car park – it was totally lost and quite distressed as obviously miles away from it’s owners – some other guys took it to Alpine I think and left it there for the owners to hopefully collect…

Houns

INRAT

But The Hub at Glentress was the worst cafe at a trail centre I’ve been to. Don’t know when i’ll get back up there to try the new one out

jordie
    Free Member

Lets hope that dog didn`t prefer the hub if it was left over at the peel!

mrplow
    Free Member

Was at the Peel for the first time today. Brings GT up to std and will hopefully create more trail development in future. Had organised a work trip and they all enjoyed it. Nice place to sit etc.

onehundredthidiot

At the end of the day we’ll all be at the Peel centre. like it or lump it.
    It looks nice on the inside and will do fine. Pity the building is in the wrong place pointing the wrong way but the facilities are good and at the moment well maintained (volume may reduce the sparkliness).

There was a sign on the door saying muddy kit was welcome a few weeks ago. Will they open for winter night riding on a Wednesday as E&T did a few times? Doubt it where’s the profit in catering for a few?

geoffj

Doubt it where’s the profit in catering for a few?

Yeah, cos there was no business incentive at all for the Hub to be opened then at all. 🙄

onehundredthidiot

Doubt it where’s the profit in catering for a few?

Yeah, cos there was no business incentive at all for the Hub to be opened then at all. Out of context quoting?

Eh? The hub was open on a few winter Wednesday evening to cater for a few cyclists on a limited menu. Why would they open the much bigger and i would have thought more expensive to run (to be fair i have no evidence of this) Peel centre in the hope of breaking even?

geoffj

For the same reason the Hub did. Even if they don’t sell many pies or coffees on the night they open, they are still providing a service to customers who will return to spend more money at other times. Customer loyalty?

The cafe in the PC is run by the folk who run the Glentress Hotel. Local folk providing a local service.

GW
    Free Member

geoff – only, your argument falls apart if you actually remember the full history of what happened with Wed night opening at the Hub.

geoffj

GW – I don’t know or care about the history, but being open to serve customers makes good business sense irrespective of all the petty politics some folk insist on harping on about.

GW
    Free Member

That was my point too.

Believe me, I CBA with all the tweed valley politics or taking sides either, they’ve been at it since I first got into riding there probably 20 years ago.. the people/businesses in that time have changes as have the trails/builders/organisers/riders but the bitching just gets worse as the years go on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Someone was complaining the other day about the trail verges getting trimmed. F**king spoiled rotten!

Yes, to someone from NI, that must seem incredibly arseholeish. Typical GT type comment though!.

Anyway, the Shed at Mabie knocks spots off the hub anyway.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Peel Centre Glentress’ is closed to new replies.