Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Peebles – eating and drinking do's and dont's
  • rascal
    Free Member

4 of us off there w/e after next for first time.
    Got a rented house for 3 nights but will be out evening time for food and beers.
    Looking for nice but not expensive food and nice choice of ales. Good curry house that won’t wreck my arse and the next day? Anything to avoid?
    There’s a sportive on that weekend – Tour O The Borders – so will be very busy by all accounts.
    What do the good folk of STW recommend?

FWIW we’ll be at Glentress on Fri and Inners (uplift) on Sat having done neither before 😀

kimbers

theres only 1 curry house, might be a good idea to book as it gets busy

the cafe in the theatre/cinema does nice cake and has free wifi

hels
    Free Member

There are now 2 curry houses. Prince of India is rubbish, especially when they are busy, which they will be that night. I haven’t tried the new one.

Some of the pubs stop serving food ridiculously early, especially if they are busy (I think they run out of chips or something – seriously – the Coonty is notorious for it). The town may have all that layer of trendy bike types, but it is still a small country town at heart.

The best Chinese for food is the one further along the Northgate, always weirdly empty, so a good shout if you are struggling to get in somewhere. The best for atmosphere is the one on Tweed Green.

The Bridge Inn (The Trust to locals) has the best beer I understand. Villenueves has the best wine, but they don’t let you drink it there. Coltmans has the best cocktails.

hels
    Free Member

P.S and surely you mean “Peeble’s”

Oh yeah and there is also a *shudder* Wetherspoons called the Cross Keys. It’s DIRE. Well the food is. The beer is meant to be acceptable. The wine is awful. Maybe OK for a few cheap beers if you don’t mind being the youngest people in there by about thirty years. DONT EAT THE FOOD.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Isn’t there a decent Italian upstairs at the Bridge ?

hels
    Free Member

Yes Francos. Also good for bog standard Italian not too expensive.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

And as I recall the best of a bad bunch in terms of beer

youngrob

The Crown on the High St is really good for food and the bar at the front is interesting let’s say. I always drink in the County or the Bridge. As has been said already, the Prince of India isn’t great and there’s a new Indian just opened but I’ve not tried it yet. If you want a take away, Shukria on the Northgate is very good, get some beers from Villeneuve on the Eastgate and you have a great post ride night in. I’ve never had a good meal in Francos but their take away pizza is decent but you might have to wait a while for it, our record is 2 hrs.

I’m away that weekend or would have offered to show you some trails off the beaten path. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it anyway.

Pigface
    Free Member

Is the sun flower still open?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve eaten in the spoons and the food was totally fine infact my girlfriends rare rump steak was great.

And I’m a snobby bastard.

joat

Was there just last week. Spoon’s food is okay and some dishes include a drink, and if you like real ale you’re spoilt for choice. We had a decent meal at the Niedpath Inn and Crown too.

pigyn
    Free Member

If the spoons stocks bengali tiger you won’t find a better drink. Food, just finish all your rides in inners at No1 cafe.

honeybadgerx

We had lunch at Coltman’s deli & bar a month or so a go and it was really good, think they stay open into the evening too. Type of place that have a decent beer selection I think. They also do amazing sausage rolls from the deli counter !

dovebiker

If you have a sweet tooth indulge yourself with a box of patisserie from Cocoa Black

alanl
    Free Member

2 years since I’ve been, but I posted here about the terrible service in the Indian when we were there, we walked out before giving our order. The Tontine(?) over the road was great, and not too expensive.

alanw2007

+1 for the Crown. Much better food than I expected.
    We ended up at Cocoa Black twice!

rascal
    Free Member

Well we had our first Peebles trip this weekend gone – bloody brill riding at Glentress and upllft day at Innerleithen. Everyone was super-friendly too.

We only ever went to 2 pubs in the end…wondered into the Crown for a pint. Pint was ok but not the nicest pub. Never went back because we then discovered the Bridge. Much nicer vibe and some lovely real ales with different ones on every day. Franco’s branding slapped all over the building means unless the know it’s there you wouldn’t realise the Bridge is in the same building as it’s slightly around the corner from the main street.

Had the new curry house recommended so tried that first night. Panna has only been open a few weeks so has no alcohol license yet – no problem as a BYO so cheap beer too! The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. It was so good we went back 2 days later! Would def recommend that if you love tasty, spicy food.

All in all we had a great time in Peebles and will def be going back for the great riding, nice bods, the curry and some great ales – especially the White Lite at the Bridge 🙂

The-Duke

If you fancy a curry then head along to Innerleithen, had the best curry I’ve ever had a wee place called Saffron. Best to book early as they’ve only got 6 or 7 tables but well worth the visit.

GolfChick
    Free Member

good thread, off up this thurs-sun and looking for places to eat that wont break my minimal bank!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wetherspoons for eggs benedict for brekkie is ace Golfchick, Crown for dinner is good too.

andytherocketeer

Fish and chips in the Neidpath was not bad.
    Burger in the pub that’s not ‘spoons was good too (the one with 7 doors between the bar area and the bogs).
    Will never catch me at a real Wetherspoons.
    Place at Glentress by the road was ace food, even when the chef was pissed (but pricey-ish).
    Ramblers was handy for breakfast and take-away cake slices to stash in backpack.
    Didn’t have anything bad to say about the Glentress cafe. Food was perfectly OK, although you can’t really mess up a baked spud (came with coleslaw etc. so not sure what you get if you choose the baked spud with coleslaw topping?). The 2 dogs must get bored stiff though (assume they’re owned by the staff that run the place?). Was not massively busy.

edit: and the Italian and Neidpath (and probably some other places) were shut or not serving food on at least one day during the week (forget which).

BoardinBob

The County has Goose Island on tap which is a win in my book. Food is always passable too.

Wetherspoon’s has by far the best beer selection though it seems to be where the local young team spend their Saturday night. Not rough, just like a kindergarten. A queue of pimply faced kids getting their ID checked at the bar.

andytherocketeer

Think it was the County we went to. The one with lots of sections like the Library and the Snug, etc.? Got deal for dinner and another deal for dessert on whatever day we went in.

MrGrim

Did the tour o the borders yesterday. First time I’ve stopped in Peebles. Ended up staying in Eddleston which was also really nice. Will definitely revisit this thread for when I come back down and get a chance to properly spend some time in the area. Legs are still recovering from Talla

alanl
    Free Member

Fish and chips in the Neidpath was not bad.

They do food now?
    We stayed there, if its the same couple, they said they’d never do food again, as they never get enough passing trade to justify it.

singletrackmind

Green tree Hotel is great for food. Menu choice not massive but when we went the food was really good. All home made and decent portion sizes. The beer choice was limited though. The Italian on the bridge also very good value .

Clover

Good tip about the Panna! STW for the win.

We have just been and it was excellent – the main courses were great but the cherry on top was the exquisite sundries. Just delicious onion fried rice and garlic naan. And I’ve not had a sizzling lamb chop at an Indian for a while. Top marks.

For anyone visiting, it’s on Northgate (the road with Costa on the corner) and a couple of hundred yards down so don’t give up. Still unlicensed so take your own beer or wine.

chipps

Great place. Super friendly and great food. Take some booze and you’ll probably now have to book on a weekend now, which is good to see. Lack of veggie options on the menu, but they say they’ll take any dish and veggie-it up for you. So much better than a couple of the other places in town where hungry customers appear to annoy or inconvenience them… Oh, and if you’re feeling flash, the lobster peri peri is incredible…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Peebles – eating and drinking do's and dont's’ is closed to new replies.