Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pedals to avoid toe overlap on a small road bike – what is there?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

My lad has just bought himself a road bike, but for one reason or another he isn’t getting that he needs to have the balls of his feet above the pedal axle and is catching his toes on the front wheel when he is turning.

Simply telling him to move his feet back on the pedals will not work and clipless pedals and clips and straps will definitely end in tears.

Suggestions and comments other that for pedals have all been tried so dont need repeating. 😀

So what pedals have something like a toes stop on them but dont tie someone to the bike?

eshershore
    Free Member

There isn’t anything you can do but be mindful of overlap when riding? The old BS 6102 was very specific of toe overlap, but its lapsed and many manufacturers produce bikes, especially in smaller sizes, that have toe overlap

my Giant Defy Advanced is a medium, and I get toe overlap with my size 8 feet, bear in mind that is an endurance bike with a longer front centre and wheelbase. I had exactly the same situation with my 54cm Specialized Tarmac SL4

I only notice it when track standing at traffic lights, from to time if I rotate the bars my foot will touch the front tire.

It would never be an issue when riding at speed, as you don’t rotate the bars more than a few degrees as most of your turn is done by leaning

wanmankylung
    Free Member

He is 8yrs old and lets just say that he has his issues with taking on board instructions like that.. Those are issues that I am unlikely to change.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Perhaps the strapless toe-clips wouldn’t be as “scary” as spd’s or normal toe-clips?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

They look perfect. Thanks.

joshvegas
    Free Member

How about half toe clips?

They’rs basically just a front stop and don’t retain your feetin any way

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pedals to avoid toe overlap on a small road bike – what is there?’ is closed to new replies.