Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Peaty's Bike Bonanza. Good idea but why is there an entrance fee?
  • rockhopper70

This has just posted up on the STW facebook feed.
    It’s a good idea but why I cannot see the justification for an admission fee.
    The standholders are paying to display and hold a stand (fair enough), they would hope to claw that back and then some in sales (fair enough) but to also charge buyers an admission fee seems a bit rich.
    If it was refundable off a first purchase of, say, over £20 then perhaps that would be fair.
    *rant over*

wwaswas

keep out the tyre kickers?

so that small stallholders don’t end up paying so much it’s not worth their while attending?

northernmatt

so that small stallholders don’t end up paying so much it’s not worth their while attending?

Probably this. I can’t see the room hire being covered by stall fees alone. £5 does seem a bit steep though.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You always had to pay to get in Jumble sales, so why the surprise?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

it’s probably to keep away those that would just wander round and loudly explain that you could buy it all much cheaper from a continental bike shop

cookeaa

THB People will pay because Peaty’s name is associated, He’s quite a “Brand” within cycling these days…

chakaping
    Free Member

Explains why he’s taken to wearing a flat cap.

😀

br
    Free Member

So he doesn’t make a loss?

reedspeed
    Free Member

when issit & where ?.[list]

av found it ,ta.. 😕

gazc
    Free Member

same as jumble sale except jumble sales round here are 50p to get in and you get a cup of tea

for £5 i’d want a pint and a pie with mushy peas on top whilst i trundle round looking at battered boxxers

rockhopper70

You always had to pay to get in Jumble sales, so why the surprise?

Yes, but jumble sales, or the ones I know off, are selling donated goods to raise money for charity so all income goes into the pot at the end.

transition1
    Free Member

so who is going along to this?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes, but jumble sales, or the ones I know off, are selling donated goods to raise money for charity so all income goes into the pot at the end.

Most car boot sales charge for entry too. And auto jumbles, and boat jumbles, and any other hobby based buy/sell/swap meet.

Bear in mind private stall holders don’t ‘make money’, they’re just selling their old stuff like they do on the classifides here. The Swinely one I just about sold enough to make it worthwhile (cost of postage Vs cost of the stall).

Having said that, a fiver is a lot, most autojumbles tie themselves in with a car/bike show of some sort. Having said that car shows are even worse, last one I went to I had to pay to get in, and pay to exhibit a car. I almost told them to shove it but there was a car park charge that wasn’t much less than the show charge.

rockhopper70

Most car boot sales charge for entry too. And auto jumbles, and boat jumbles, and any other hobby based buy/sell/swap meet.

Bear in mind private stall holders don’t ‘make money’, they’re just selling their old stuff like they do on the classifides here. The Swinely one I just about sold enough to make it worthwhile (cost of postage Vs cost of the stall).

But isn’t the blurb promoting, in the main, professional or corporate sellers, not hobbyists/enthusiasts. Charging £5 to go and look around a sales stand hosted by Evans/Halfords/Wiggle seems wrong?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But isn’t the blurb promoting, in the main, professional or corporate sellers, not hobbyists/enthusiasts. Charging £5 to go and look around a sales stand hosted by Evans/Halfords/Wiggle seems wrong?

Dunno, the blurb i read didn’t mention trade stands till the last paragraph. But I agree, I can’t see many people paying a fiver to go look arround some bike bits.

rockhopper70

I can only guess that all the good stuff will go early doors too….that’d be frustrating, turning up at 1pm, paying your fiver and only finding 26″ wheels and tyres!

pitduck
    Free Member

because nailing your hat on costs 😐

Tracey

We are thinking about a stall to move on some of our bits that arnt worth selling otherwise due to postage cost. Clothes, bars, stems saddles, pads and the other stuff that gets accumulated. Along with some stuff from our recent frame changes.

postierich
    Free Member

Should have had enduro somewhere in the title they could have charged a tenner!!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thought things were cheaper up NORTH!!!!£25 for a public stand BLIMEY.Cost nothing in Bristol to do a Muddock sale.

rockhopper70

Any feedback on this at all?

Tracey
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Peaty's Bike Bonanza. Good idea but why is there an entrance fee?’ is closed to new replies.