Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 182 total)
  • Tescos – price or ethics issues bringing them down ?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it seems like the complete opposite

This word “oppostite”. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Of course there are similarities. If you can’t see that you’re either intellectually bereft or shoehorning a pop at STW’s Hitter of Hitters into your post.

Bit early for fighting talk?

Never too early. 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Never too early.

I’LL KILL YOU FOR SAYING THAT! 😡

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jamie – Freeloader!
    How/why?
    As per your comment, really. A lot of those who are ragging on Tesco being a marketplace behemoth, think nothing of using CRC/Wiggle. It’s not a perfect parallel, but there are some similarities.

Are Tesco really that much worse than other big supermarkets?
    From a shopping experience, I would say not really. In some areas they are ok, where other stores are not…and vice versa.

Cool. Re 2nd point, I was meaning in terms of aggressiveness etc rather than the shopping experience.

lemonysam – Member
    I N R A T S but I hope folk see the parallels with Wiggle, CRC etc.
    Not really, in fact it seems like the complete opposite of the situation with Tesco from a consumer POV. Wiggle/CRC’s main selling point is that you can be pretty damned sure you’ll have what you want in stock and that it will be at a decent price. They also offer a convenient and pleasant shopping experience and reasonable customer service.

Maybe you should try not to struggle with long sentences?

Amazon’s business model is to grow, even at a loss if necessary, until they have a huge market share (and consumers have little choice), then put the prices up. Supermarkets have been putting locals out of business for decades, as online/mail order is now doing with gusto.

Yup, entirely different to CRC/Wiggle.

Maybe you can discuss like an adult without having a go 1st post?

digga
    Free Member

mt – Member
    All the major supermarkets are pretty much the same, using similar buying practices. Tesco May or may not be the most aggressive though ASDA could be worse when you remember that they are really Wallmart. The worst one in my view is the COOP, they spout their much prized ethics while giving suppliers the Tesco treatment

Our local Asda is dire. Even if you can navigate through the isles, around the three generations of morons that seem to crowd around every other trolley (which itself is likely being pushed diagonal way angle to take up more space) you will routinely find it has run out of something vital. Bananas is the usual – I think I went on three successive trips without seeing a single one.

Aldi and Lidl aren’t bad in so far as they go, but they don’t really have the range of stuff and if you hit the places at the wrong time, the some of the clientelle can make the experience rather grim.

We’ve given up on supermarkets. We now use Ocado home delivery which is unfailingly excellent and our local butcher.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The worst one in my view is the
    COOP, they spout their much prized ethics while
    giving suppliers the Tesco treatment.

^This

In 2012 milk farmers were asking consumers to not buy milk in morrisons, Asda, lidl, coop and Asda due to the prices paid for milk. Funny how the unethical tag just sticks with Tesco.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

For me the problem with Tesco is that for too long they have believed they were clever and their customers stupid – playing silly buggers with the prices/offers etc.

Well guess what, people (a lot of them anyway) aren’t that stupid. Once they work out you’ve tricked (or tried to trick) them they aren’t coming back.

LMT
    Free Member

An interesting thread, I work for Tesco as a dept mgr.

The downfall, will agree with dot.com it just destroys the shop you can see the one’s without dot.com when you walk in as all of a sudden they have stock on the shelves.

The issues which Dave needs to deal with, competitors we ignored the discounters at our peril, customers want Aldi, lidl and the return to the UK of Netto.

Our stores are tired and old even the new ones, we are so tight on the sales floor for staff we don’t have time to be helpful as we always for 10 cages to work to get the stock to the shelf. We have too many pink and fluffy managers I could name 3 job roles which we just don’t need in the shop. Would much better to put the cash spend back into the right departments to be able to offer great service.

Get rid of the staff that can’t be arsed to even try to deliver service, some customers want to be talked to and some don’t if you can’t tell the difference should you really be working in this job role.

The biggest issue is the saturation of shops, its bloody stupid in the 3 miles from the store I work at we have 1 superstore, 2 extra stores and then another 8 express stores. There is also 3 Morrisons (ex safeways stores), 4 Sainsburys and 2 Asda’s. Its bloody stupid, no wonder no one makes any money and the shops are quiet. To make it worse a new Asda is opening up 4 miles away!! why!!!

Tesco could do so much to boost sales and regain the customers, some of the multi-channel stuff is good, blinxbox, Tesco direct, but do we need Giraffe and that coffee shop chain? not really and even that Gardening chain we own was purchased at a loss.

Terry knew when to leave as he could see it happening. The stores are having a restructure pretty much the same as asda a line of management being taken out, but my view is its the wrong management line.

Dave did his vision yesterday at the NEC for all the store managers so guessing we will find out whats going on soon enough.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Maybe you can discuss like an adult without having a go 1st post?

You intentionally avoided the “I’m not RATS” filter so I assume you know what it corrects to. It’s “I struggle with long sentences”, just in case you don’t.

hora
    Free Member

The biggest issue is the saturation of shops, its bloody stupid in the 3 miles from the store I work at we have 1 superstore, 2 extra stores and then another 8 express stores. There is also 3 Morrisons (ex safeways stores), 4 Sainsburys and 2 Asda’s. Its bloody stupid, no wonder no one makes any money and the shops are quiet. To make it worse a new Asda is opening up 4 miles away!! why!!!

Where I live Tesco’s actively bullied/paid off the council to block a Sainsburys. The closest Sainsburys is 3miles away in each direction. My closest other supermarket is Co-Op. Another place I wouldn’t touch.

Tescos did a good job on the council. It cost them I bet but Trafford Cricket club and the council got their fill moneywise.

Meanwhile 3miles away theres a Tescos/Sainsburys and Aldi all within 30metres of each other…

Makes you wonder what money changed hands near us.

No offence to you but if Tesco’s go under/implode I wouldn’t see it as too bad a thing. The prices aren’t that cheap and the meat is shockingly expensive. In a big city they’ve got themselves nicely covered in this area. Everyone has to drive to shop, theres really no competition.

It also reminds me how Tesco’s got away with the planning at their Stockport site. Ignore- build a bigger store, blame it on the builders then threaten to close/shed staff if Stockport Council didn’t back down.

Jamie
    Free Member

Where I live Tesco’s actively bullied/paid off the council to block a Sainsburys.

Somewhere a lawyer is stirring…

Edit: Right. Tesco are good guys again 8)

iolo
    Free Member

hora
    build a bigger store, blame it on the builders

Why would a builder make it bigger? They wouldn’t get paid the extra.
    Planning would be over them like a rash.
    have you got your facts straight? I’m sure you must have heard that in the pub so it must be true.

LMT
    Free Member

Hora, no offence taken.

I worked for safeway when that went belly up, the problem is if Tesco went belly up the one thing we all forget it’s the second biggest employer in the uk after the nhs. If/when things go south it pretty much effects everyone in the country. Have to hope that deadly dave as he has been tagged talks to the customers, staff and only after that the shareholders and not the other way round and maybe he can turn it round.

hora
    Free Member

Where do you think Tescos shoppers would all go to? Their competitors. Where do you think Tescos shoppers are going to now and who is growing?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Why would a builder make it bigger? They wouldn’t get paid the extra.
    Planning would be over them like a rash.
    have you got your facts straight? I’m sure you must have heard that in the pub so it must be true

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/5342914.stm

hora
    Free Member

I’m sure you must have heard that in the pub so it must be true

Curious. You do realise that if theres a dispute locally you tend to have it all over the local press right? With updates.

iolo
    Free Member

Ahh OK, I’m not local, apologies. Many of those stories come from the local tavern by me.
    Most new builds don’t actually have planning in place when the works start on site and the developers assume everything will be fine.
    Sometimes you have a slight hiccup which is normally sorted before it becomes a news item. Here I see it was a bit mare than a hiccup.
    From that link it gave 500 jobs and trained 120 so sot a bad outcome eh?

grum
    Free Member

500 mostly low paid jobs and training in how to stack shelves. Marvellous.

Not to mention that it’s taking away from independent shops which tend to pay better, use more local suppliers and treat their staff like human beings.

They’re basically saying ‘we’ll do what we want because we employ people’ and you’re fine with that?

Jamie
    Free Member
    iolo
    Free Member

you’re fine with that?

500 local jobs in one area?
    That can only be a good thing.
    The reason the pay is so low? Demand for work and Tesco know it – that’s shit.
    The good independents will always be there.
    Tesco won’t take their staff because as you say, the salary is higher.

grum
    Free Member

500 local jobs in one area?
    That can only be a good thing.

Not really if it takes jobs away from independents who employ more people to do the same work (oh noes they aren’t as efficient) and put much more of their money/profits back into the local economy.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Good, kick them when they are down too………….

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t like Tesco so I don’t shop there. Nor Asda.
    That’s about it really.

milky1980
    Free Member

There’s a little trick Tescos are using that very few people know about.

They will try and put an Express into a town and if it is refused they will go quiet for a while. Then an application will come along for a One Stop instead, which will usually get the green light as it’s seen as a small player similar to local shops. Except that Tesco own the One Stop brand and run them exactly like a small Tesco’s. They are very careful not to use own-brand products in them and use separate lorries for deliveries. This means they can muscle out any competition without being seen to flood an area with their little shops.

hora
    Free Member

You think? Taking jobs from companies its driven to the wall and of those ‘500’ how many are a few hours here and there on zero hours contracts under the 10k tax threshold pulling in tax credits ontop thus massaging the governments jobless figures?

As I said ^ customer demand doesn’t come out of thin air, there was shopper demand in the area before Tescos came along. Where/how it was serviced has changed. I wonder how many other retailers takings are now down/staff on shortened hours/left to go to Tescos?

Bollocks that works starts before planning is approved. Tescos Stockport had planning permission approved and approved to plans submitted within a certain footprint. (seen the site?)

grum
    Free Member

milky1980 – yup, that’s exactly what they’ve done in Hebden as they know there would be an outcry if a Tesco opened!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

The amount of utter rubbish being quoted on this thread is brilliant. My Mrs works for Tesco head office so is certainly in the know, and has had a good chuckle at some of the crap being posted. 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about the little ones, our local experience is a new small Sainsburys was a boon to local traders as it massively increased footfall in one area (There was a huge campaign to stop them coming in). Likewise the loss of a one stop reduced footfall in another nearby shopping street causing local traders to suffer, but is now back up to previous levels due to another small Sainsburys coming in (there was no fight to stop them).

Jamie
    Free Member

The amount of utter rubbish being quoted on this thread is brilliant. My Mrs works for Tesco head office so is certainly in the know, and has had a good chuckle at some of the crap being posted.

My dog is the MD of Tesco, Lord Ruffington Woofwoof. He is also having a chuckle at the thread….

….it’s much easier than countering any points made you believe to be false, or stating ones case.

Plus he’s a dog, and struggles with the laptop.

pk13

He sticks his head out of the windows eh

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

….I mean, it’s much easier than countering any points made, or stating ones case.

Too much BS on this thread Jamie to start countering to be honest, I’d be here all day. I will say that there are a lot of people who say they don’t shop at Tesco because of their ethics, but I’d wager these people have no particular examples that they can back up with anything other than hearsay.

Good name for a dog BTW. 🙂

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’d wager these people have no particular examples that they can back up with anything other than hearsay

I hate to point it out, but this is exactly your position at this moment in time.

Sorry.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I hate to point it out, but this is exactly your position at this moment in time.

Not at all. 🙂 I’ve not given examples of anything to back up??! :-S

However, I do at least live with someone who takes an active part in the management of the organisation…that would be a little more than hearsay old chap. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Cbmotorsport then she’ll know how keenly suppliers are whipped.

grum
    Free Member

hearsay
    [heer-sey]
    unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one’s direct knowledge:

However, I do at least live with someone who takes an active part in the management of the organisation

So not at all biased then.

You may have a point that other supermarket chains aren’t much better, but that doesn’t make Tesco ethical.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Boo…….. Tescos.

jfletch
    Free Member

However, I do at least live with someone who takes an active part in the management of the organisation…that would be a little more than hearsay old chap

But you are also emotionaly invested in the subject so not exactly an objective observer.

But whether what people think about tesco is true or not people still think it so its still their problem as they are projecting this image. They need to fix it.

They can learn from their competitors. A few years ago Sainsbury’s had a reputation of always being out of stock and expensive. So the launched a huge public campaign to fix it, the replaced back office systems and invested in stock to fix the out of stock issues. They lowered some prices etc. They actually fixed the issues.

However the public perception of Tesco is that they are trying to con us into thinking they are cheap and in stock rather than actually changing anything. Crappy special offers and shelves full of things we don’t want to buy don’t help if I want 4 pints of semi skimmed and there isn’t any.

This may not be true Tesco, may be brilliant at what they* do but public perception is king.

*They aren’t, whatever your wife says Tesco have some fairly fundamental issues to fix

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Cbmotorsport then she’ll know how keenly suppliers are whipped.

Yes, they are, but not unethically – and no more than many other supermarkets will.

The biggest reason for Tesco’s drop in profit is the rise of the discount stores, Aldi, Lidl etc. In some key categories Tesco genuinely struggle to compete. The recent figures are also slightly skewed by their failure to break into the American market, and the losses that the considerable investment required have caused.

neilwheel
    Free Member

This may not be true Tesco, may be brilliant at what they* do but public perception is king.

Very true, every time you visit a Tescos a little bit of the staff despair rubs off on you.

iolo
    Free Member

I need to do my shop.
    I don’t have much time as I’m busy busy.
    I have a list.
    I need veg,fruit, undies, USB stick, new TV for the toilet, rug for the kitchen, cat food, frozen food and a whole lot more. I’m not rich so don’t want to spend much money.
    I drive by Tesco (or whichever other, could even be of German origin).
    I go in.
    25 minutes later I’m out with all items.
    I paid less than elsewhere, had parking and could even carry my stuff in a silver chariot to the car.
    I’m biased about my time and money.
    I’m sure 99.9 percent of others here are the same.

grum
    Free Member

Yes, they are, but not unethically

I really have no idea how you reckon you are in a position to know that, based on your wife having a job there.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tesco+unethical+practice+suppliers

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Tescos – price or ethics issues bringing them down ?’ is closed to new replies.