Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Peaslake riding ?
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I quite fancy an explore around this area tomorrow. Was vaguely intending following and linking the bridleways up… Is that the best way to explore or is there some hidden routes around that the lbs might help with? Thoughts?

djglover
    Free Member

You could be up there all day and miss most of it without local knowledge / gps

glenp
    Free Member

Ask Howard in the shop – or just hang around the bus stop and befriend someone. If you just follow the big bridleways you’ll miss the fun!

TheBrick
    Free Member

have a look on diaryofamountinabiker

rewski
    Free Member

Lots of hidden routes, I’d just go up and get a bit lost, telegraph is a good trail to use as a landmark I find, mainly because it’s obvious which one it is and easy to find, and there’s a nice trail to the left of it that’s off camber and rooty, secret squirrel I think, great trails over at Leith and Pitch too. Pop into pedal and spoke shop and get a map.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, buy Howard a cheese straw or two and ask nicely. Or, as suggested, loiter around the bus stop/top of Holmbury/top of Leith and ask other riders nicely. I can’t imagine anyone wouldn’t want to show you around!

Had a chap on a Stumpy join us last time I was out there. Poor fellow was as lost as a lost thing, just by the gate below the Leith Tower, he rode with us for a while and we left him at his car in Holmbury St Mary, grinning from ear to ear! Hope you find it all again, fella!

face-plant
    Free Member

go to nirvana cycles in westcot and get the golden birdies map that has all the trails and descriptionas marked on

timmys

I wouldn’t recommend the Nirvana maps. I bought all three and, although I don’t have them in front of me, I’m pretty sure they show a grand total of five trails; Barry, Yogs, Telegraph, Summer Lightning and the one somewhere between the end of Yogs heading towards the reservoir (though they use their own names for them). You’ll have more success with Howard at Pedal and Spoke in Peaslake IMHO.

mcboo
    Free Member

Here’s a route I did a few weeks ago.

http://connect.garmin.com/player/80408122

Start and finish near Nirvana at Westcott.

1.Flat/climb for half hour then drop into Peaslake from Pitch, up the other side and down more lovely singletrack back into Peaslake for tea and cheesesticks.

2.Up to Holmbury, admire England, down Yoghurt-Pots and Telegraph

3. Climb up to Leith, admire England again, down through Coldharbour then straight down Summer Lightening and on to Westcott.

One of the best rides I’ve ever had. Grin-tastic.

I was following someone else, think I’ve got the names right, any I’ve missed out?

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Agree with all comments regarding the trails being hard to find. Ditto talking to Pedal and Spoke etc.
    The easier trails to find are generally on the left of the valley floor from the bottom car park (go past Pedal and Spoke on your left until you see a large car park on your left). Head out of the car park on the North side (up hill) on the valley floor. Keeping your eyes out left, you’ll pick out a few of them coming down the hillside, if you can’t see them, just have a ride around on the various fire roads on that side and you’re bound to spot a few. That main valley is a good reference point when exploring that area by the way.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Looks like local knowledge is the answer. Hmm guess by the sounds of it, I need to start in peaslske itself with the first stop at the bike shop.

brooess
    Free Member

For me the appeal of Surrey Hills is finding all the stuff for yourself over a period of a few months of regular riding. Hooking up with locals helps tho’: Diary Of A Mountain Biker are a good bunch to ride with (see their website)
    Nirvana do shop rides but are best described as having a ‘marmite’ approach, and many people have strong opinions of their customer care…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Peaslake riding ?’ is closed to new replies.