Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Peaks conditions – report!
  • Pook

How do all,

been out in the peak this morning, round Win Hill, Whinstone Lee Tor etc. -5 when I got out.

The trails are magnificent. Frozen solid, rutty, with a fine dusting of fresh snow over the top (about 1cm).

Watch out for the sheet ice as the snow has camouflaged it – but other than that; enjoy!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Cheers dude what I wanted to hear

allthegear
    Free Member

oo! May get up to Ladybower area tomorrow, then!!!

Thanks for the report

Rachel

scruzer
    Free Member

yep just got back and had first off of the year (and last ride of year too-bummer)due to said hidden ice!

jools182
    Free Member

just got back, no offs, a couple of nearlys

my hands were so cold though, especially my thumbs, it was painful

not holding out much hope for santa bringing me any new winter gloves though

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what route?

crazy-legs

I was out round Hayfield, we had exactly the same, about 2″ of snow cunningly hiding sheet ice in places! Good fun.

Rachel, want some company tomorrow round Ladybower?

sambob
    Free Member

Such good fun today 😀 Crazy-legs, did you see a bunch of riders just above Coldwell clough? If so i was in it.

crazy-legs

sambob – no we were out over Shooting Cabins/Kinder Res way although there were a couple of sets of tyre tracks on Middle Moor and we passed a van with 2 bikes on the back of it outside The Sportsman pub on Kinder Road.

Hardly saw a soul – one walker on Middle Moor.

jools182
    Free Member

I just went up to the new allotments, cloughhead, then pootled back along the canal

sambob
    Free Member

We were a group of 13, so you would have known if you’d seen us. Did you go up or down the cobbles?

crazy-legs

Did you go up or down the cobbles?

Down. Wasn’t too bad actually. I could tell you the full route we did but then I’d have to kill you… 😉 I think it was about 80% FP!

sambob
    Free Member

We also went down, it was definitely easier riding than walking. And I wont tell a soul 😉 It was so quiet anyway, i dont think anyone would have minded. The car park at Bowden Bridge had one car when we went past this afternoon!

sambob
    Free Member

I saw your tracks then Jools182! Was it you we saw above coldwell clough?

steveh

If it helps anyone for tomorrow I’ve been out from sheffield through the endcliffe/porter valley and back through blacka moor this afternoon and it wasn’t too bad on the whole. Up to the top of the porter valley was easy enough, roman road pretty bad in sections, drop we did down blacka fine.

jools182
    Free Member

Sambob, I didn’t see any other bikes, unless you were behind me. I didn’t have my glasses on 😉

sambob
    Free Member

Neither did i 😉 Did you see the crazy cloud bank over towards Combs moss and Chapel? Looked like the Day after tomorrow had come true 😆

jools182
    Free Member

It was impressive, take any pics?

crazy-legs

Did you see the crazy cloud bank over towards Combs moss and Chapel?

Yeah, we were looking at that. Spectacular! Some incredible scenery, did you see Kinder Res, half frozen and with wind-blown snow lying on the ice in patterns?

sambob
    Free Member

That was also awesome Crazy-Legs. I got one on my phone, will put it up later.

BadlyWiredDog

we passed a van with 2 bikes on the back of it outside The Sportsman pub on Kinder Road.

That was my Blue Pig, one of them anyway, I loaned it to my mate and he went to the pub leaving me to ride my Wanga up 20 Trees 🙁

Round the corner to William Clough then? Just lost the back wheels sideways on snow-covered ice on the steps at the ford on Middle Moor, interesting… Blah. Yawn.

BadlyWiredDog

ps: anyone been on Cut Gate today? I have a cunning plan 😉

BadlyWiredDog

I saw your tracks then Jools182! Was it you we saw above coldwell clough?

And no, that was my mate, Chris.

crazy-legs

I have a cunning plan

Is it a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel?

sambob
    Free Member

Sorry Jon, bike tracks all look the same in the snow…..

BadlyWiredDog

Possibly not that cunning, no. I’m not really clever enough for that. A vole, maybe.

eth3er
    Free Member

Did what steveh did but went through Lady Cannings, icey scary ice nearly dropped it a few times. Great day out though.

steveh

Actually we did lady cannings and up to ox stones too. Managed to clean the climb from the bottom corner of lady cannings starting with the little bridge so didn’t think it was that bad!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Anyone know what it’s like around Darley Dale and Chatsworth? Boggy or frozen solid?

sambob
    Free Member

Will be frozen i suspect.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I hope so, it’s ‘orrible down there when it’s boggy.

wired5148
    Free Member

Headed out from Langsett over Cut Gate to the Derwent Valley. Brutally cold, with a need to stick to the ridges and ruts ‘cos the peat hags and paths are lethally slippy. Great views and you more or less get the place to u’r ‘sen.

slowrider
    Free Member

We went up to Winston lee tor, down to fairholmes (evil ice on the way down), down hag farm, up on to win hill then down the cheek to the res. Managed to stay upright myself but saw some great stacks, the best of which being my brothers 360 to assplant.

h4muf
    Free Member

We drove to Hollingworth,parked up and went along the Longendale trail
    till we got to the tunnels.
    Followed Woodhead pass untill the bridleway on the left,then had an epic of a ride back along the top’s then dropped back down and did a loop back.
    Came a cropper on the snowtopped ice :D,top ride out.

It was however,artic up there,proper windchill,even the tube’s on the camelbak froze 😯

Hanky

Onzadog,

Darley Moor was frozen solid last week with quite a lot of snow in the woods.

Drive through Chatsworth everyday and been minus temperatures all past week, currently -6 in Matlock and Chatworth normally a couple of degrees colder.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Peaks conditions – report!’ is closed to new replies.