Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Peaks Conditions
  • spacecadett
    Free Member

I know there have been a number of these posts recently so sorry!

Does anybody know what the conditions are like in the Peaks? I live in Nottingham and the snow is on it's way out. I was hoping to head over to the Peaks with a friend on Saturday:

Edale, Hollins Cross, Mam Tor, Rushup Edge, Hayfield, Kinder Reservoir, Jacobs Ladder back to Edale.

Is this realistic or are conditions too bad?

Thank you.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

It's realistic and good fun in parts but be prepared for much slush and ice

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I live in Leek – 10 miles south of Buxton – and there's still plenty of snow around that could make riding difficult when up on the hills. For instance I went for a run at the weekend around Three Shires Head and there's NO WAY you could ride a bike on the BTWs there. I would guess Kinder way will be worse, but I'm sure a local will be along to advise…

sq225917
    Free Member

I live at the top of Sheffield, Ecclesall road side and the snow is melting away. Was out last night and it was good, but it was a lot colder. If the temps go up it's going to be muddy and very wet this weekend, find some stony paths.

mjb

Still lots of snow around here but it is melting (which means its getting really wet and claggy). When we went up high on Sunday there was lots of drifting and i was glad that i hadn't taken my bike, it would have been fun for about 20 minutes. Haven't been up on Kinder recently but the route your proposing always has problems with drifts (Rushup Edge was waist deep in places last week) and holds onto the snow longer than anywhere else.

That said it's supposed to warm up by a couple of degrees tomorrow and then rain a lot on Friday night which might melt a lot of the snow or just add more higher up. Personally if you are going to head up i'd be tempted to have a look first (you can drive past the bottom of Rushup Edge) and maybe do a route around Ladybower/Hope valley way that would be lower down and have plenty of chances of opting out.

Mistere
    Free Member

about 1/2 an inch of powder fell last night just outside sheffield (as far as i got this morning)

Went up to stanage pole yesterday and it's like arctic tundra up there; 2ft deep drifts with a frozen crust, wasn't ridable across the top so i went back.

antigee

didn't have time to ride but drove out to Hathersage today (Thursday) from Sheffield, melting in the city
    out along A57 thru Bamford main A roads all clear (Snake closed)
    side roads sheet ice/compacted snow – up at Moscar (A57 north end of Stanage) about 10-12" snow with fresh snow on the trees

8-9" down by Ladybower and freezing fog – Heatherdene car park closed/much of the road side parking pretty full of deep but drivable snow so take a shovel to make sure can get out – as said above there will be drifts/ice and if thaw does happen per forecast slush on ice as ground is cold

SBrock
    Free Member

anybody have a update on conditions?

Fancy a ride tomorrow probably suicide brake, derwent edge, winstone le tor etc?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

word is that where it had drifted to more than 2 ft deep (a lot of places) it's still pretty much there

if paths have been walked/ridden then they may be passable now. anywhere that it has been compressed by vehicle traffic then it's just ice now

Midnighthour
    Free Member

http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/webcams/index.htm

Derbyshire web cams – check the whole page as they are organised pretty randomly

grizzer
    Free Member

There was a lot of snow at the the end of last week when i took my bike for a walk round the Roaches,and there might be more snow and icy conditions again before the wknd…

Bunnyhop

It's pretty much ridable around the Mrple,Mellor cross, Rowarth, New Mills end. However there is black ice around and some mahoosive funny snow drifts on the tops.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

moist. with snow on the high ground, but it going fairly quickly

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Peaks Conditions’ is closed to new replies.